Cabelas Vortex Razor HD

JGRaider

WKR
Admittedly, I've been fairly critical towards some Vortex products over the years. I just saw on the Cabelas site that if you buy the Razor 10x42 HD's for $599 if you use their club card. Furthermore, if you buy them on a Monday, you can get an additional 15% off, bringing the total to about $550 after taxes. I'm not real fond the Razor's at $1000, but this seems like a heckuva deal. Alway's thought of them in the Conquest HD, Tract Toric UHD, Nikon MHG class of glass. Thoughts?

JNDEER

WKR

w.travis

FNG
Admittedly, I've been fairly critical towards some Vortex products over the years. I just saw on the Cabelas site that if you buy the Razor 10x42 HD's for $599 if you use their club card. Furthermore, if you buy them on a Monday, you can get an additional 15% off, bringing the total to about $550 after taxes. I'm not real fond the Razor's at $1000, but this seems like a heckuva deal. Alway's thought of them in the Conquest HD, Tract Toric UHD, Nikon MHG class of glass. Thoughts?
Optically, I think the HD is at the bottom of the list you gave.

Order of preference for me would be
1 Toric UHD
2 Conquest HD
3 Razor HD or MHG (which ever was cheaper)

I bet Tract will have a discount coming up, they usually do. Or there is a used Toric 10x42 in the classifieds that is worth a look. I have the Toric 10x42 and find it overall a great bin.

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
Agree with you on the Toric wtravis. I have the 8x42's and they are excellent too.

w.travis

FNG
Agree with you on the Toric wtravis. I have the 8x42's and they are excellent too.
Oh nice! If you like the 8x, I think you'd like the 10x even more.

The AFOV in the 10x is bigger which gives a more immersive view compared to the smaller AFOV in the 8x.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Love my 10x Razors (Japan made). Got a refurbished set earlier this year for $650 and thought that was a good deal. I have not seen the Torics, but looked through the Conquests in the store, and bought and sold a set of SLCs and Ultravid HDs. For my eyes they just weren't worth twice the price of the Razors. The Razors are impressingly lightweight and have a great FOV. Just finished a first hunting season with them and I'm very happy with their performance.

w.travis

FNG
At $550, Razor HD's are a fantastic buy. A friend and I recently compared Razor HD 10x42's with SLC'S and they were very close.
Do you mean Razor UHD? I have SLC 8x42 and they are in a completely different class than the Razor HD. They are true premium (alpha) glass. Brightness, resolution, edges, chromatic aberration control, eye cups, armor, build quality, all easily go to the SLC. The UHD gets closer to the SLC optically than the HD, but even it is still behind.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
Do you mean Razor UHD? I have SLC 8x42 and they are in a completely different class than the Razor HD. They are true premium (alpha) glass. Brightness, resolution, edges, chromatic aberration control, eye cups, armor, build quality, all easily go to the SLC. The UHD gets closer to the SLC optically than the HD, but even it is still behind.

These discussions are really subjective. I base my opinions on nearly 50 years in the field and having used and traded in high end optics for many years. I have spent countless hours comparing optics over the years, often with a circle of friends. I operate a small gun business and alot of scopes and binoculars pass through my hands. I am not biased toward any particular brand. As a musician and instrument dealer for years, I learned not to judge an instrument solely by the builder. With this in mind, I believe the Razor line to be outstanding optically. I have compared the HD and UHD models with several Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars and remain impressed with the image quality. Regarding the Razor HD's, a friend and I compared them against a pair 2006 NEU SLC's and we observed virtually no difference (My eyes do not see CA). We did not test in low light. I have compared the Razor HD against the UHD and don't see alot of difference, but the edge goes to the UHD, especially in low light. The AK prisms are a far superior design and its hard for many SP prisms to keep up. I have not used the latest HD version of the SLC's, but can attest the UHD's stand tall (No pun intended) against any SLC I have ever looked through, and I have owned and used SLC's off and on for 25 years. The mammoth Backwoods Pursuit review interestingly placed the UHD's above the SLC's. As you mention, Vortex lacks in build quality, but the warranty compensates for it in many instances. If I were a guide or serious hunter like some on this forum, I would unquestionably use Swarovski. Nothing feels better in my hands. I briefly tested NL Pures and look forward to trying them again. No doubt they are at the top of a steep hill.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Yeah I rack in stacked a dozen binos 5 years ago on a handful of attributes. This was outdoor multiple days/conditions and as objective (charts, etc) as possible with three people. Razors did great. Especially factoring in weight and cost.

I don’t think they are as good as alpha glass. But they are pretty close and well worth 1/3 to 1/4 if the price. For a good deal these are really good binos.

w.travis

FNG
These discussions are really subjective. I base my opinions on nearly 50 years in the field and having used and traded in high end optics for many years. I have spent countless hours comparing optics over the years, often with a circle of friends. I operate a small gun business and alot of scopes and binoculars pass through my hands. I am not biased toward any particular brand. As a musician and instrument dealer for years, I learned not to judge an instrument solely by the builder. With this in mind, I believe the Razor line to be outstanding optically. I have compared the HD and UHD models with several Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars and remain impressed with the image quality. Regarding the Razor HD's, a friend and I compared them against a pair 2006 NEU SLC's and we observed virtually no difference (My eyes do not see CA). We did not test in low light. I have compared the Razor HD against the UHD and don't see alot of difference, but the edge goes to the UHD, especially in low light. The AK prisms are a far superior design and its hard for many SP prisms to keep up. I have not used the latest HD version of the SLC's, but can attest the UHD's stand tall (No pun intended) against any SLC I have ever looked through, and I have owned and used SLC's off and on for 25 years. The mammoth Backwoods Pursuit review interestingly placed the UHD's above the SLC's. As you mention, Vortex lacks in build quality, but the warranty compensates for it in many instances. If I were a guide or serious hunter like some on this forum, I would unquestionably use Swarovski. Nothing feels better in my hands. I briefly tested NL Pures and look forward to trying them again. No doubt they are at the top of a steep hill.
Yes, true they are subjective. I AM very sensitive to CA, so that could explain some of my experience. My SLC controls CA very well. Not knocking the Razor HD, they are good. UHD very good and for sure optically is a premier bin. I've thought about purchasing the 12x50 UHD, but the size...

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, true they are subjective. I AM very sensitive to CA, so that could explain some of my experience. My SLC controls CA very well. Not knocking the Razor HD, they are good. UHD very good and for sure optically is a premier bin. I've thought about purchasing the 12x50 UHD, but the size...
Agreed. I don't like the size either. I've owned several SLC 10x50's, which I really like. Unfortunately, they are tanks and just too heavy. I wear glasses and the long eye relief appeals to me.

w.travis

FNG
Agreed. I don't like the size either. I've owned several SLC 10x50's, which I really like. Unfortunately, they are tanks and just too heavy. I wear glasses and the long eye relief appeals to me.
Yeah, 50mm is too big for my preference also. I prefer 42mm objectives, and 10x for all around use. Then I drop down to 6.5x - 7x in tight situations. That's one reason I have my SLC 8x42 in the classifieds.... However, if I didn't want to purchase another spotting scope, there is NO WAY I'd be selling the SLC, such a great bin.

Deadfall

WKR
Mmmm....vortex anything...🤮🤮🤮🤮🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢......

Might as well just go get some of dem dere fine wallyworld optics

Deadfall

WKR
I’m far from a Vortex fan but anything in the Razor line is pretty dang good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Owned 2 pair 10x50 and the 85mm spotter. I would agree that if they are only used part time (2 to 3 hours) for a week or possibly 3 weeks a year. They may qualify for good status for a yearish.

recon good depends on what the standard is.

Owned 2 pair 10x50 and the 85mm spotter. I would agree that if they are only used part time (2 to 3 hours) for a week or possibly 3 weeks a year. They may qualify for good status for a yearish.

recon good depends on what the standard is.

I’m certainly not implying they are on par with Alpha glass. But they are not Walmart level either.

I have a pair of 10x42 UHDs. While in Wyoming this year I had a chance to use them next to a pair of 10x42 EL Range. While the guide could pick out some minute details that I struggled to see, they were pretty dang close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro