California Road Trip with Firearms

68Plexi

WKR
Yup, I think it has something to do with the big bluff to the west. Many a day we have sat at Avila and looked south and south east at a big wall of fog with Pismo stuck in it.

Reading your response I visualized exactly what you’re talking about. Grew up there. 80 degrees in Avila and 65 and foggy in Pismo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for travel advice for California vacation starting this weekend. Mainly on two subjects. 1) Are most things open in the smaller towns of Central and NorCal? 2) Am I doing enough to protect myself legally in regards to carrying my firearm?

I believe I understand all the laws in CA on transporting a handgun in California. We leave on Friday to take a road trip up the coast from Pismo Beach to Northern CA. I live in Pennsylvania and I do not feel comfortable driving across the entire country without having a gun for protection. My plan is to carry my Glock 43x and LCP in a locked metal box, with gun cable locks through the chamber so they are inoperable. Then having the ammo in a separate, locked container with empty magazines. All of this will be placed in the trunk of the Subaru, chained to the seat with a bike lock and hidden underneath all of our other luggage (not until we get to CA border of course).

Both of those guns have 10 round or less magazines. I would like to take my Glock 20, but all I have is 15 round mags and didn't order any 10 round mags in time. Is there any way I could still bring the G20? I really don't like the idea of being considered a criminal just by crossing the state line with a standard 15 round magazine, but I also feel a little undergunned with a 10 round 9mm or 7 round 380.

1) just got back from camping trip in bodega bay. We went as far north as fort bragg. All the little shops were open. Antiques and such.Mask required to enter. Food is only to go. Which was fine with us. There are plenty of little seafood etc restaurants to grab food at rather then stop and order at a diner. You can do either just no indoor seating. Outside seating was ok. Most of these are a rocks throw from the water or on a cliff. We ordered food and then drove and found a good spot to eat. Hotels were open, also campgrounds open. Basically everyone of them full. Its busy, everything seemed close to back to normal, people and traffic wise. It was windy to, and I think it's going to continue for a few days.

2) what you have planned is good. You wont run into an issue with cops or people. Coast is safe, just like anywhere dont leave it in the car at night.

3) Have fun, the coast is a great place. Take your time if u can. Especially north of san Francisco.

MattB

WKR
Good point on the campgrounds being full. We were up in the sierra camping last weekend in a place we've gone almost annually and we have never seen as many people, and not even close. Every camp site and virtually every possible parking spot was full.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for travel advice for California vacation starting this weekend. Mainly on two subjects. 1) Are most things open in the smaller towns of Central and NorCal? 2) Am I doing enough to protect myself legally in regards to carrying my firearm?

I believe I understand all the laws in CA on transporting a handgun in California. We leave on Friday to take a road trip up the coast from Pismo Beach to Northern CA. I live in Pennsylvania and I do not feel comfortable driving across the entire country without having a gun for protection. My plan is to carry my Glock 43x and LCP in a locked metal box, with gun cable locks through the chamber so they are inoperable. Then having the ammo in a separate, locked container with empty magazines. All of this will be placed in the trunk of the Subaru, chained to the seat with a bike lock and hidden underneath all of our other luggage (not until we get to CA border of course).

Both of those guns have 10 round or less magazines. I would like to take my Glock 20, but all I have is 15 round mags and didn't order any 10 round mags in time. Is there any way I could still bring the G20? I really don't like the idea of being considered a criminal just by crossing the state line with a standard 15 round magazine, but I also feel a little undergunned with a 10 round 9mm or 7 round 380.

How'd the trip go? Smooth sailing?

Opah

WKR
California Ban on High-Capacity Gun Magazines Struck Down
March 29, 2019BIANCA BRUNO
FacebookTwitterEmail
SAN DIEGO (CN) – A federal judge Friday declared California’s ban on high-capacity gun magazines over 10 rounds unconstitutional, blocking the state from enforcing the voter-approved ban outlined in Proposition 63.
U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez, a George W. Bush appointee, prefaced the introduction to his 86-page order released Friday afternoon granting summary judgment in favor of gun owner Virginia Duncan and the California Pistol & Rifle Association by stating “individual liberty and freedom are not outmoded concepts.”
He proceeded to cite the stories of three women who were at their homes – not in California, but in Florida and Georgia – when they were shot at by intruders toting guns.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
How'd the trip go? Smooth sailing?

Trip was great! Long drive, that's for sure. But California was awesome. Made it back home today. We will definitely go back at some point. We loved Pismo Beach so much we actually spent most of our time there. Next time we will fly though. Only wish the weather was a bit warmer for the beach, but I can't complain too much after driving 3 days through 105 degree desert.

You know what you need to do, don't overthink it. Contrary to be belief of most Roksliders, CA is not China. If you happen to get pulled over which IMO is the only realistic way you could be put in a position where the legality of your means of transport was called into question, don't be a complete a-hole to the cop and you will have no issues.

And if you will be in the Pismo area, make sure to check out Avila Beach. It is smaller and nicer than Pismo.
yah i crack up some times at the laws i hear people say they think exist here. and sometimes that comes from guys who own a bunch of guns. I live in California, have my CCW, it was not hard to get and almost all LEO's are pretty cool about firearms. I get if i lived in SF or LA it might be more troublesome. Most of the state is actually pretty conservative. We just happen to have most of the people living in two huge metropolitan areas and their vote outweighs the rest of the state by about 3:1...

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Trip was great! Long drive, that's for sure. But California was awesome. Made it back home today. We will definitely go back at some point. We loved Pismo Beach so much we actually spent most of our time there. Next time we will fly though. Only wish the weather was a bit warmer for the beach, but I can't complain too much after driving 3 days through 105 degree desert.

That's great, glad everything went well. The coast doesnt really get above 70. It's pretty much 65 day and 55 at night year round. Warmer in la but most everything above big sur to the Oregon border is the same. As long as the wind is down 65/70 is perfect. Pismos great, did you take the drive onto the beach? Lighthouse? Rent some quads and ride the dunes? Great pier to fish off for perch. Anyways glad you enjoyed it and good to hear you have plans to come back.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
yah i crack up some times at the laws i hear people say they think exist here. and sometimes that comes from guys who own a bunch of guns. I live in California, have my CCW, it was not hard to get and almost all LEO's are pretty cool about firearms. I get if i lived in SF or LA it might be more troublesome. Most of the state is actually pretty conservative. We just happen to have most of the people living in two huge metropolitan areas and their vote outweighs the rest of the state by about 3:1...

I'm in same situation, guns, ccw. California is not LA and San Francisco. Those 2 cites do more damage to our reputation then anything. Like u said those 2 city's control the whole state with the people and votes. I equate it to a similar thing happening in canada with grizzlys. A couple of city's ruin it for the whole country with that ban and that exactly what California has. 2 blue city's/areas, 300 red citys but blue has the most population and we get screwed. The land mass of conservatives is massive but spread out and not heavily populated.