Call Your Shot - Yes Or No!

7Bartman

WKR
I'd take that shot as well. Maybe between white and red. At 26 yds, my groups are pretty tight.

Top of the vertical line on the Red x for me as far as placement. Not interested in the shot over 20 yds though. Seems like at 20+ you'll see old Murphy standing next to that bull if you look real hard.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Scrappy

WKR
I shot my bull last year at 11 yards just below white X. I'll have to be in the situation to decide if I'll take a 20 yard or plus frontal shot.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Paul, that's awfully open country for the situation you described. Did he bring that cow with him? Since he just showed up, I will assume that the cow already came to your calling.

For the shot........ya, I might take that shot on the red X, or I might wait for him to turn, or the wind might just swirl like it normally does right about now and I'm at full draw watching elk scatter.

He's in the middle of a bugle, he wouldn't even know what hit him.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
5Miles, it's just a photo of the Frontal & bulls demeanor, no more no less. Thanks!

Elkhuntr08, This was just a situation that any of us can be found in, most are taken by surprise with it & have no idea how to handle it as it can be on you quickly & decision making happens in an instant! This is one way to be prepared if faced with it. If you have little confidence in the shot presented by all means do not take it. If confident in it then take it! You need to have your mind made beforehand if this is a shot you can handle or not! All of us know our limitations, No one can tell us what they are or should be, only you!

If your shot hits near the red X to white X or in-between that bull will most likely fall in sight. Notice the bulls demeanor, he's not locked up ready to bolt like a Whitetail, he wouldn't know what hit him as 5 Miles mentions.

I will however share my Sons & I setups as we've taken a dozen bulls with the frontal shot! He shoots 70# I shoot 65# -- He shoots a 410 grain total weight arrow, it has a 50 grain insert & a 100 grain head. -- I shoot a 425 grain total weight arrow with 92 grain insert & 100 grain head. Rare is the case to see any fletchings after the shot as it buries deeply into his chest, penetration has not been an issue with multi bladed heads. (no 2-blades) It doesn't require as much energy as some may think. We've also taken 2 bulls with Trad gear that were frontal shots, these bows pack a whopping 38# of KE. Arrows were 500 grain & 540 grains out of 55# & 60# recurve & longbow.

Know an elks anatomy intimately, this will help you when faced with any & all angles you may be presented with, this can build your confidence along with countless hours of practice & taking part in many 3D Shoots. You'll know when you are ready to take any specific shot! -- I will say that if I held out for nothing but the perfect broadside shot I'd rarely kill a bull, it just doesn't happen like that in the real world very often.

Know your Quarry's anatomy-- Know your effective range -- Know your limitations when distance & shot angle both come into play simultaneously!

ElkNut/Paul

TripleJ

WKR
Yes, I am definitely shooting, maybe just a tad just above the red "x". I shot a raghorn Roosie in that spot a few years back. The arrow disappeared completely, and it looked like a firehose of blood shooting out his chest within a couple seconds. I could actually hear the blood hitting the ground. I watched him tip over after about 20 seconds, he died 10 yards from where I shot him. I had almost complete penetration...70 lb bow with a 400 grain arrow, the broadhead was pushing against the hide on the back side of his hindquarter.

The smooth draw of my 1991 browning hunter and my 2216 xx75 arrows would take that bull down. Not to mention my new bow (2013) would do the same.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Here's a bull we took at just under 20 yards, my Son took him with the frontal using a 410 grain arrow with a Exodus Qad head. Check out that 3 bladed hole! The nock was buried in close to 6" -- That's over 30" of penetration.

ElkNut/Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    584 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 79

Ucsdryder

WKR
Paul, what do you think about yellow? That’s my spot. 550gr at 276fps.

Attachments

• 6A530EBF-C63F-4922-93A7-74465E948763.jpeg
    6A530EBF-C63F-4922-93A7-74465E948763.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 54
OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Dead bull right there! You bet, anywhere in that Red To White realm will put that bull down darned quick! There's a bit of room for error, we're not trying to put an arrow through the hole of a lifesaver! At 23 yards (top pin) we'd best put the smack on that bull by staying focused through the shot if we're willing to take it!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Nick, thank you! I called the bull in from over 300 yards away with the Slow Play to under 20 yards. Once I git him to commit it was all about reeling him in! I had to work him pretty good, it was 15 minutes into the encounter before I got him ready for a harsh Challenge & it was all he could take! The Frontal was the only shot presented. My Son said he kept coming & coming & fully expected him to turn at any second but realized as he got closer & closer it wasn't going to happen. With this years bull he went back to back on Frontals! It's a deadly shot when executed properly!

ElkNut/Paul

CorbLand

WKR
Here's a bull we took at just under 20 yards, my Son took him with the frontal using a 410 grain arrow with a Exodus Qad head. Check out that 3 bladed hole! The nock was buried in close to 6" -- That's over 30" of penetration.

ElkNut/Paul
Initially read that as buried to all but 6", as in the nock was sticking out 6 inches. Then I read the "thats over 30 inches of penetration" and was like how effing long is your sons draw length.

Last edited:
OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
OK, my Son shoots a 27-1/2" arrow, the arrow buried an additional 6" deeper than the 27-1/2" length for roughly a total of 33-1/2" -- So the nock could not be seen, it was totally buried in the bull.

Sorry for any confusion!

ElkNut/Paul

CorbLand

WKR
OK, my Son shoots a 27-1/2" arrow, the arrow buried an additional 6" deeper than the 27-1/2" length for roughly a total of 33-1/2" -- So the nock could not be seen, it was totally buried in the bull.

Sorry for any confusion!

ElkNut/Paul
The only confusion is my ability to read. Hahaha.