Calling all Toyota aficionados

Jethro

WKR
The bummer is that in the Gen3 Toyotas with the Double cab/6.5ft bed the backseat is now about as useful as a back seat in a Camaro. When I was looking at the 2024s I couldn't really even fit in the back seat after I had adjusted my seat and with 2 big dogs they would not have had any space back there either. I don't love the 5.5ft bed and would prefer the 6.5ft but went with the crew cab/short bed combo so that the back seat is a little more functional than just storage space.
Been a long time since I was in a Camaro, but I've driven across the country in a double cab with 2-3 other guys at least twice. Its not the most comfortable, but its not that bad. Same as Ram Quad cab and we've used that to make the trek 3 times.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Been a long time since I was in a Camaro, but I've driven across the country in a double cab with 2-3 other guys at least twice. Its not the most comfortable, but its not that bad. Same as Ram Quad cab and we've used that to make the trek 3 times.
Last gen or current 3rd gen? 3rd gen double cab is 1.5" to 2" smaller in the back than the previous gen. Leg room, hip room, and shoulder. About same for head room.

I hear this a lot, but I've been driving 4 wheel drives and hunting for 40+ years, and have yet to drive or own one with a locker. Not even sure where or when I'd need that.

Some vehicles have a limited slip rear differential. I have a 2018 Silverado for work. One of the very redeeming qualities of it is a very good LSD. I think it’s an Eaton True trac. You can definitely feel the difference when that kicks in.

The Tundra Atrac is a limited slip system but I don’t think it’s as good as the True Trac. A full locker is even better. Mud and snow are where they really shine, or rock crawling if that’s your thing.

With chains and a locker you can get out of some pretty rough spots.

ewade07

WKR
Man, where's the love for the OG first gen Tundras? I recently sold my 02 Access Cab and upgraded to an 04 Double Cab with a replaced motor that only has 145k miles on it. I fully expect to drive it to 300k miles.

CorbLand

WKR
Man, where's the love for the OG first gen Tundras? I recently sold my 02 Access Cab and upgraded to an 04 Double Cab with a replaced motor that only has 145k miles on it. I fully expect to drive it to 300k miles.
Getting hard to find in decent condition.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Have a 21 Tundra TRD (one of the last 5.7 l V8s) and absolutely love it. The crew cab is cavernous in the back and the bed is pretty deep (can get 8 fully-packed llama panniers in there with room to spare). I get 17-19 mpg on average around town but I also don't drive it like a race car. Can also tow a 14' trailer loaded with 40 bales of hay with ease. Never got less than 13 mpg at freeway speeds on two trips with the trailer to Idaho to purchase a llama.

june-bug

FNG
I'm driving a 2018 Tundra with 90K miles and it is by far the best truck I have ever had. My wife was in the market for a new SUV about a year after i bought my truck. After test driving several she said " well i don't like any of these as much as your truck" so she ended up getting a 2019 Tundra. It has also been bullet proof. My son was just recently in the market for a new truck and traded in his Silverado for...you guessed it a 2019 Tundra. They are awesome trucks for sure!

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with everything said so far. I’m the happy owner of a 2011 double cab and I love it.

One other thing to consider, if going 2nd gen, I wouldn’t buy one older than 2012 unless you can be 100% certain it spent no time in the rust belt. From 2009-2011 there was a flaw in many models for how the bed was constructed, which allowed salt/moisture to get between the layers of steel and cause rust from the inside out.

My truck has this flaw as a 2011 even though it’s not in the serial number range that was recalled by Toyota via a service bulletin at that time.

Here’s more reading about that issue, note the classic location of the rust spots and watch for this if buying used from 2009-2011.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/2nd-gen-bed-rust.52085/

Oregon

WKR
So, I'm not very smart...but what y'all are saying the 2018 TRD 5.7 Tundra I bought new was a good choice? Love that rig. Beat the heck out of it, up to 80k miles. A great 4wd rig and a great comfortable rig down the highway. I have about 4 recalls out that need fixed, I was told it was all camera/technology stuff. 4 hours worth of work.
My favorite pic of my Tundra with my best Rocky bull. Pretty close to book bull. About 90" off. Edit: probably 100" off
IMG_0555.jpeg

Long Cut

WKR

The 4.7’s are tanks, extremely reliable but unfortunately when compared to the 5.7’s they fall short. Size, payload and towing capacity all fall short of the 5.7 tundra

Only perk is the timing chain is good for 100-120k, possibly longer before needing maintenance. The con is that will cost 1-1.5k to replace at a shop. Unless you are handy and have a shop and significant equipment, I wouldn’t DIY it.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Getting ready to sell my 96’ Tacoma. Going to go with the 5.7 DC tundra. Use it for work 90% of the time besides the heavy trailer loads, and then for hunting. Seems like most guys are happy with power and reliability of the 5.7, as well as drive ability on forest service roads. For the guys with tundras how do you guys like them in the snow and ice (obviously good tires are a must) I’ve got a couple lion hounds so spend a lot of time driving snowy/ icy mountain roads

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
Got rid of my 2001 Toyota Tacoma and got a 2021 Crewmax. So much room for the family. The 5.7 seems like a great motor and the truck has been great so far.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2012 double cab with the 4.6 engine. The rig is going strong with essentially zero problems with 140K miles. It is a great hunting rig for either tent camping or sleeping under the canopy. I pull a 6K lb boat and haul lots of very heavy loads of wet firwood along with many other heavy loads in the mountains. I have never felt the need for more power.

Beendare

WKR
OP, I suppose I could be called a Toyota Fan...after owning them for over 4 decades including Lexus and Hino's.

I went to RAM after my last Tundra for the Comfort and features....but that Tundra was bulletproof. Sad to hear of some kinks with their recent model trucks and Electric models. The only other time I've heard of issues was way back in the early 80's their exhaust manifolds had issues.

Toyota/Lexus/Hino is the only vehicle line I would hold for 200,000 miles....I currently own a Dino that has been Beat to death on construction sites....and at 166,000 it runs like a top

Billinsd

WKR
I hear this a lot, but I've been driving 4 wheel drives and hunting for 40+ years, and have yet to drive or own one with a locker. Not even sure where or when I'd need that.
I’ve needed it a few times when the rear differential gets stuck up on a tree stump, or one wheel spinning. It was and can be incredibly difficult to get the spinning wheel traction. That’s what’s great about an electric locker, you just push a button and lock or dig deeper into the mud possibly if you are stuck in the mud.