Calling for Permissions

TLDR: What’s the consensus for days/times to call a landowner to kindly ask for permission to hunt? Are weekends ok?

Long story short, got the buck tags we were hoping for in one area and had permission on private for does in another. Now that we drew the tags plus left overs the land owner is waffling and we are unsure if we will have access to his property to fill our multiple doe tags. The area is heavily private and speaking to the warden and biologist public land hunting will be more of a hike than a hunt. I have a list of ranches I’ve researched but wondered what the best most receptive time and day to call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W
In person is a much better approach. It shows initiative and respect. Always show up on their hours not what is convenient for you. I have met some great people knocking on doors.

How would you define their hours is my question I guess.

I completely agree that in person is the best method. The problem is we are driving 30 hours and have a week to hunt. I would like to have something lined up before heading out.

Legend

WKR
How would you define their hours is my question I guess.

I completely agree that in person is the best method. The problem is we are driving 30 hours and have a week to hunt. I would like to have something lined up before heading out.

That is a bit of a drive. I would call at 7pm and noon. And as many months in advance as you can.

Hopefully your list is one they asked to be on vs pulling names from a plat (land owner) book. Depending on which one it is, will probably determine the reception you will receive.

If it was me, I'd call in the evening.

Also, don't disrespect the wife by asking for her husband. In most cases, wives are ranchers too! Many times, she is the one you will have to get through to get permission.

Hope it works out,

OP
W
Hopefully your list is one they asked to be on vs pulling names from a plat (land owner) book. Depending on which one it is, will probably determine the reception you will receive.

If it was me, I'd call in the evening.

Also, don't disrespect the wife by asking for her husband. In most cases, wives are ranchers too! Many times, she is the one you will have to get through to get permission.

Hope it works out,

That brings up a very interesting question, do you feel that knocking on a door is different than calling off a plat book?

At this point I have not called a private residence (to my knowledge) but if the ranch has a public facing website or Facebook page I feel that is different.

That brings up a very interesting question, do you feel that knocking on a door is different than calling off a plat book?

At this point I have not called a private residence (to my knowledge) but if the ranch has a public facing website or Facebook page I feel that is different.

Knocking on doors vs cold calling from a plat book? Yep, that will be received drastically different within most ranching circles. As you allude to though, if their ranching activities include more public interaction, that is different. Lets say like a guest ranch or a family that offers public sales of whatever. They will be more accustom to getting calls. I would focus on these individuals first.

With that, if I was in your shoes I would probably be doing the same thing.

I've always been hesitant to drive up to a ranch house that is well removed from the road. I assume that many of them built their houses there to keep folks from bugging them. I like the letter idea!

I sent 15 letters out last year. Received ~5 replies. 2 were yesses. I ended up shooting my antelope on public opening morning.
Letter is the way to go for an initial introduction. As CW shown, some will even respond to them. It shows you made an effort and that you respect them enough to take the time in writing it. Even if no response to the letter, at least they have a name to go with your phone call.

Most responses were just to say what a nice, professional letter I sent even while denying access, others to ask where I found there info. Always respond positive like wishing their grandkids the best of luck hunting etc... You never know when people's circumstance may change or who you meet while changing a tire on the side of the road. I included some personal information about myself, family, photo. No one was really upset. I included a letter, map of the property I wanted to hunt, hunter permission slip filed out along with a liability release. It was a doe tag so I would assume if it was a buck tag even less would respond.

It only takes one though. One of the landowners responded offering me free PLO tags. Now I can hunt that property every year for just a few emails a year...

Walking solo up to a ranch in the middle of nowhere sketches me out a little. Rolling up with multiple people would sketch out the landowner I assume. Ranchers are busy, most are nice but some are bastards.

Kpfarm

FNG
I agree with all this and being a rancher and farmer i will say to dont call at dinner time please. Given some quick nos for ruining my dinner. Honestly just appreciate people who ask cuz more people dont than do. At least in our area

Most responses were just to say what a nice, professional letter I sent even while denying access, others to ask where I found there info. Always respond positive like wishing their grandkids the best of luck hunting etc... You never know when people's circumstance may change or who you meet while changing a tire on the side of the road. I included some personal information about myself, family, photo. No one was really upset. I included a letter, map of the property I wanted to hunt, hunter permission slip filed out along with a liability release. It was a doe tag so I would assume if it was a buck tag even less would respond.

It only takes one though. One of the landowners responded offering me free PLO tags. Now I can hunt that property every year for just a few emails a year...

Walking solo up to a ranch in the middle of nowhere sketches me out a little. Rolling up with multiple people would sketch out the landowner I assume. Ranchers are busy, most are nice but some are bastards.
This is a very good response and one I’ve found to be the most productive. Was this In Wyoming?

WCB

WKR
I've always been hesitant to drive up to a ranch house that is well removed from the road. I assume that many of them built their houses there to keep folks from bugging them. I like the letter idea!
Most of them were probably built there because that is where the original homestead was or it offers protection from weather.

Also, depending on how land ownership used to be the rancher may not or may not have in the past owned the land the driveway crosses. When most ranches were established in antelope country trust me they didn't have to put effort in to keep people from bugging them.

Biggie

FNG
I always prefer door knocking but last year with covid I found myself calling people more after a few old ladies were too scared to answer the door. As much as I hate interrupting meal time sometime shortly after noon works best for me whether it's a phone call or in person. Lot's of these guys stick to a noon lunch schedule at the farm and more than once I've been invited in for lunch. Plus everyone is in a better mood after a meal. Whether it's a phone call or in person don't just say "I'm John and I'd like to hunt your property". Say who you are, where you're from, maybe your occupation if it's at all relevant to their operation, what you'd like to hunt and when, whether you'll be firearm or archery hunting, how many people, and it always helps if you mention other landowners in the area that have given you permission as well. Even if someone tells you no they may have a lead on someone who would let you hunt. That reference from another landowner has gotten me permission about 90% of the time. In the event that you do get permission from a phone call still make the effort to go meet them in person when you go hunt.

WRM

WKR
While I've sure met some nice people, I've not so much as gotten permission to cross their land to hunt landlocked public land (even offering to pay a trespass fee). They were quick to tell me it had nothing to do with me and that 10+ years ago they probably would have let me. They've been abused too much in the interim and just don't allow it anymore for anyone. Expect more of that in the future courtesy of...folks like Muley Freak, apparently.