Camo is hidious, gaudy, tacky, 1980 called and wants it's clothes back...

Dunno what I drank today to flip my top but please tell me the end of this never ending camo fad is going to come to an end some day before all my hair turns grey? Is there anyone else here that shares my sentiments on this? Each year that goes by i dislike it more and more, if that's even possible? Give me solids please, neutral greys, tans, kifaru foliage even but mostly greys in varying shades. What r we trying to hide from? Does anyone really think it makes a difference to the animals? Some great gear out there for me to spend on but when itsnas redneck ugly as u can get...negatory! Wouldn't it be nice to look at an old hunt photo and wonder maybe what decade it came from but instead easily predict the era just buy the camo pattern a guy is wearing? Ok, rant over, but seriously...the stuff is starting to hurt my eyes.

Ok, breath, was supposed to do killer hike and basin check tomorrow but our region flooded out and sheep season seriously cannot get here quick enough, clearly need some mountain air, leg burn, and a view....apologies. Manufacturers...are u r listening?????? Lead don't follow!! Can we please start a new trend....someone, anyone??

kickemall

WKR
I'm with you but not quite so far over the cliff. I wish the same gear was offered in a solid color. Camo has its place and if you want to wear it all the time that's cool but make the solid colors a little more available.

I'm with ya brotha. I would like to wear the gear doing other things and not walk around town lookin like a tool. The gear is so versatile. If I can't get it in solid. Dont want it.

TEmbry

WKR
I have zero need/desire to wear my backcountry clothing on everyday trips around town... So I don't mind it being camo at all

OP
S
Whew, glad there r signs this fad could be making a shift and I'm not alone. It burns my eyes. I like to hide from other hunters by not looking like one. You won't see my vehicle decaled up or items visible inside that would give it away either. It'd be nice to see the odd infuential hunter on the big screen bucking the trend help with the masses buying up all the stuff marketed etc. Maybe some adds in the rags. Im gonna see if Sitka makes these light gloves in non camo that I have and r my fav hunt gloves ever...and be hard to give up my hunters specialty headnet but something tells me I'm not gonna find that in non camo...use it strictly for predator calling. I like things to make sense and use thing we need, the amount of money spent on camo in past 30 years...can't even imagine, highway robbery imo.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Stinky I agree to an extent. I haven't hunting in camo at all really until last year when I picked up some Kryptek stuff and got some more coming. Otherwise its all been neutral colors. Heck I bear hunted last week in solid black rain coat, neon green shirt, and kahaki colored pants. I don't feel any more "hunterish" with camo on but I have plenty of stuff to wear around town so not too concerned that I have a couple articles that are now camo. Overall I'm still pretty plain jane in my apparel I wear in the field, but will try out the camo. I don't really bow hunt so my nonchalant outlook towards camo might me a bit more jaded than a bowhunters in that I think it does help out the bow hunter more than someone like myself that is primarily a rifle hunter.

Doesn't burn my eyes, but I certainly don't go out of my way to get camo either. I guess I'm more indifferent to it and could care less what others choose to wear, if they like it and it works for them rock on. If its camo good for them so long as they are happy, if its solid colors that works too, certainly not REQUIRED to have camo at all. Too many real world things that are much more worthy of getting worked up about than what others are wearing for their hunting attire, certainly not making any gray hairs over it.

To each his own. I'm glad there are more high-quality clothing options for the hunter. Kuiu, Kryptek, etc. On the other hand, my experience tells me that wind and movement are the two things that will give a hunter away so I'll hunt in any old backpacking clothes.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's easy.....use what you like and don't get so bent out of shape over what others use and what companies have to offer. You can easily purchase solid colors if that is what makes you happy and more at ease with the situation of what clothing has become. It is rather quite easy. Taking it personal and to heart.....will do exactly that....cause unecessary stress and heartache....and for what? Me.....I am glad in the advancements that our sport has made.

Could we all kill animals in plaid clothing or even our birthday suits? Sure we could! Might hurt a bit more and cause unwanted chafing but yeah, it is possible. Use what you like, even if that is going into your grandfathers closet and getting his stuff out.

LOL....this thread cracks me up.

Last edited:

Mark

WKR
Give me solids please, neutral greys, tans...

There is more high tech mountain/extreme weather clothing available in greys and tans, greens, etc than there are in camo. It may not have the big name hunting labels sewn on the pocket, but the gear is equal, if not better than some of the top names in the hunting industry.

Be the trendsetter Stinky. Refuse to buy camo clothing. Lead by example!

With that said, I still prefer camo when I'm hunting, although I do wear gray and black at times.

I like camo for hunting. But not the mainstream blob camo like realtree and mossy oak. I like predator, ASAT, kryptek. I like wearing camo to hide from other people.
I like neutral colors for backpacking and other outdoor activities. But hunting I like camo.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like all the options we have these days. It is like night and day with technology and patterns we have at this time. I prefer camo for hunting and am not looking to use my hunting clothing for other activities 95% of the time. To each there own and IMO having endless options is great for us hunters and in the end a free market society will dictate who makes it and who doesn't.

Lukem

WKR
Like mentioned, lots of non camo options out there. Way more high end companies that don't make camo than do.

As a side note, I'm really glad I don't feel the need to hide the fact that I'm a hunter. Gladly wear camo out and about. Who cares what anybody thinks.

TEmbry

WKR
I guess it depends on how you hunt too. Ill take any minuscule advantage I can get in staying hidden since I have to sneak within 50 yards of an animal instead of plopping down at 300 yards where it wouldn't matter if I was wearing neon blue.

I have most everything Kuiu offers, and it is no better than the dozens of mountaineering brands already offered in non camo options. It just sticks out for being one of the few who DO offer camo in this type of clothing.

I really don't see why guys get so bent out of shape over how others choose to dress, what they drive, how they act, etc. I just do me and let them do them

no limits

FNG
why does everybody always worry about what someone else is doing if it doesn't directly affect me I don't give it a second thought I don't smoke so I don't go places where people smoke if I don't like a movie I won't watch it its pretty simple really if you like something then go buy it if you don't then don't buy it why is that so hard to figure out you don't need to worry about my likes and dislikes I sure don't worry about yours I'm going to be in the woods this year with the new kryptek highlander camo I hope this doesn't give you a stroke

ckleeves

WKR
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. When I'm browsing the hunting section at Wal-Mart looking at the selection of Butt-out tools I HAVE to be dressed to the max (facemask included) in the latest designer camo.

I have a few rules I follow such as no Kuiu verde after labor day, no winter predator until after the first snow has fallen and never mismatch patterns unless it's a holiday. Gotta look good out there guys.

why does everybody always worry about what someone else is doing if it doesn't directly affect me I don't give it a second thought I don't smoke so I don't go places where people smoke if I don't like a movie I won't watch it its pretty simple really if you like something then go buy it if you don't then don't buy it why is that so hard to figure out you don't need to worry about my likes and dislikes I sure don't worry about yours I'm going to be in the woods this year with the new kryptek highlander camo I hope this doesn't give you a stroke

Agreed. BTW this is the longest sentence I've seen on here... ha :p

Mike

Hardstalk

WKR
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. When I'm browsing the hunting section at Wal-Mart looking at the selection of Butt-out tools I HAVE to be dressed to the max (facemask included) in the latest designer camo.

I have a few rules I follow such as no Kuiu verde after labor day, no winter predator until after the first snow has fallen and never mismatch patterns unless it's a holiday. Gotta look good out there guys.

Hilarious!