Camping Near Denver - UPDATED w/ Pics

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
Taking a quick trip with the fiancé up to Denver for her birthday August 19-23.

I want to camp one night but not sure where we should go.

ideally:
• quick drive from Denver
• decent hike in but nothing crazy (2-5 miles)
• bonus, maybe some elk summer range

I have decent camping experience from elk hunting, she has zero. Want a nice simple trip, let her experience the beauty.

Last edited:
Look up Camp Rock Campground between Mt. Evans and Evergreen, and use it as a jumping off point. Since you're willing to hike in a bit you should be able to get away from people, which is tough to do anywhere near Denver. Less than a mile from the trailhead to Mt. Evans wilderness. The trail will take you past private land near the trailhead. Lots of elk and deer, a few moose in the area, and if you really want to hike there are bighorn sheep and mountain goats way up there. Expect a fire ban and post pics and report back if you decide to try it. It's on my list of places to check out.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/arp/recarea/?recid=80805

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
I've camped at Beartracks lakes before although I came in the other direction from Rosalie/Tanglewood trail. Beautiful area but you will see people. If you can make it happen I'd recommend trying to do the trip during the week rather than the weekend. I was there on the weekend and there were about 4 or 5 camps at the lake

OP
mylsuhat

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
We arrive late on Wednesday. I would like to do it on Thursday/Friday but I think it would be best if we took a day to acclimate a little (coming from South Louisiana). Because of that, I am thinking Friday/Saturday.

OP
mylsuhat

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
@Bear Wrestler Thank you so much for the recommendation! We had an amazing trip and saw 6-7 different moose!

QWJGXdx.jpg

oKAJBrB.jpg

WCFhWhR.jpg

GyTANSY.jpg

qyzubEl.jpg

6hKmEG8.jpg

DH6rnwK.jpg

Vandy321

WKR
How were the crowds...looks like a fine spot to go throw feathers at some cutthroat

OP
mylsuhat

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
There were 4-5 guys fishing on friday when we got there. Friday night more people showed up but we were out early in the morning Saturday.