Canyon pounder- quick comparison

Hwcopley

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my hands on the new option archery canyon pounder. I had a couple of questions before I ordered mainly to size and weight. I’m a fan of Dan’s other products so I ordered with confidence. I’d like to pass along a quick comparison for anyone thinking about ordering.

I’ve shot spot Hogg- tommy hoggs for a while so that’s one of the comparisons. The other is an older option site. All sights are 5 pin configurations.

I was surprised by the size of the canyon pounder. I was sure it was going to be heavier and bulkier than the Tommy Hogg but I was incorrect. Hope this helps anyone looking to get one of these. It’s extremely well built

Attachments

• D1D9C9BF-A9F5-4098-8940-C9C4DA0C5725.jpeg
    D1D9C9BF-A9F5-4098-8940-C9C4DA0C5725.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 257
  • 00A52309-E88E-47C1-AAE1-34823C2B7D85.jpeg
    00A52309-E88E-47C1-AAE1-34823C2B7D85.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 28DC7172-F23B-4E3D-8C62-CE776D3BA9B4.jpeg
    28DC7172-F23B-4E3D-8C62-CE776D3BA9B4.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 232
  • E8FFB291-1F0F-4D26-923D-6EE4B5217C77.jpeg
    E8FFB291-1F0F-4D26-923D-6EE4B5217C77.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 605CEAA0-6557-4E7D-85E9-4AB12BDC4C82.jpeg
    605CEAA0-6557-4E7D-85E9-4AB12BDC4C82.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 235
  • AFF8FC67-C5F1-4344-8E17-95D5CDEC6BCC.jpeg
    AFF8FC67-C5F1-4344-8E17-95D5CDEC6BCC.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 243
OP
H

Hwcopley

Lil-Rokslider
It’s awesome so far. I’m just pounding at 20 yards for now so can’t speek to travel and max range. I’ve used to the Spot Hogg mrt rings forever so I’m still adjusting to peep alignment. Overall, it’s solid. no complaints, only compliments.

Read1t48

WKR
Good timing. I just listened to the latest Kifarucast where they spent quite a bit of time talking about this sight and Dan’s other products. Looks nice. I shoot a SH Tommy and want to consider this new sight on a future bow.

TheTone

WKR
They’re a good looking site. Anyone have any opinions on why to go canyon pounder over the original option sites?

ZDR

WKR
I was thinking about the option 6 at one point but a friend mentioned that, due to the mover pin being contained within a fixed scope housing, travel is limited compared to the canyon pounder which has a moveable scope…similar to the landslyde etc. He said he could only get about 85 yds with the 6.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
They’re a good looking site. Anyone have any opinions on why to go canyon pounder over the original option sites?
There are a few improvements over the Option 8 that are huge for me.

Round housing replacing oval housing on Option 8.
Roamer pin is always centered in housing now.
More travel and potentially more range depending on your set up.
Two sight tape locations so you cold actually use two completely different arrows and have a tape for each.

The Option 4 and 6 have round housings but limited your roamer pin range so the Option 8 has an enlarged housing (oval) to provide the additional room for the roamer pin.
I always used Dan's oval peep and was easily able to get them to line up but my mind did not seem to do it as well as it did with round housing/peep. I love the Option 8 but the oval cost me a bit of consistency.

Now the CP has the entire sight housing that moves instead of only the roamer pin so no more oval.
Love this sight.

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping for a quick response, going to order CP3 wondering how the yellow pins of dans are? Any concerns? Thinking to go G, Y, G

BSLugnut

FNG
There are a few improvements over the Option 8 that are huge for me.

Round housing replacing oval housing on Option 8.
Roamer pin is always centered in housing now.
More travel and potentially more range depending on your set up.
Two sight tape locations so you cold actually use two completely different arrows and have a tape for each.

The Option 4 and 6 have round housings but limited your roamer pin range so the Option 8 has an enlarged housing (oval) to provide the additional room for the roamer pin.
I always used Dan's oval peep and was easily able to get them to line up but my mind did not seem to do it as well as it did with round housing/peep. I love the Option 8 but the oval cost me a bit of consistency.

Now the CP has the entire sight housing that moves instead of only the roamer pin so no more oval.
Love this sight.
Tony, thanks for sharing some comparison points.
I am interested in the sights but need some clarity.

A
re the main differences between the Option 4s vs Canyon Pounder?
The CP has the roaming pin centered in the housing and the 4s uses the bottom pin as the roaming pin
The CP has the additional sight tape on outside of sight

Venator

Lil-Rokslider

A
The CP has the roaming pin centered in the housing and the 4s uses the bottom pin as the roaming pin
The canyon pounder is a slider which for most solves the problem of 2” housing and not getting longer distances out of a non slider set up (4s-6s) or needing an oval housing.

Moveable pin is centered in housing is correct on the canyon pounder, I’m using CP3 so it’s also my first pin.

The additional sight tape on back of sight is for using one of your other pins (I use bottom on CP3) to extend your yardage.

rojocop

FNG
Congratulations on your new acquisition, and thank you for sharing your thoughts and comparisons.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member

A
Yes, the Option series has a roamer pin that moves in the housing vertically. Cp the entire housing moves and pin is always centered.

Just got my hands on the new option archery canyon pounder. I had a couple of questions before I ordered mainly to size and weight. I’m a fan of Dan’s other products so I ordered with confidence. I’d like to pass along a quick comparison for anyone thinking about ordering.

I’ve shot spot Hogg- tommy hoggs for a while so that’s one of the comparisons. The other is an older option site. All sights are 5 pin configurations.

I was surprised by the size of the canyon pounder. I was sure it was going to be heavier and bulkier than the Tommy Hogg but I was incorrect. Hope this helps anyone looking to get one of these. It’s extremely well built
Hey just a quick question how large is the diameter on scope housing on the CP?

OP
H

Hwcopley

Lil-Rokslider
That’s right, first two pins are .19 the rover and last two are .10. I like it, I’ve had that set up on most all of my sites. Don’t know that I’ve ever shot a .19 at longer ranges so my experience is on that front is limited