Carabiners for pull system

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I agree. They are listed @ 22 kilonewtons... That converts to almost 5,000 lbs... Having a hard time believing that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

K

Kootenay Hunter

Well, they're designed for strength, that shape is not a aesthetic design. No more unbelievable than paracord holding 500lbs+

Would you believe that those plastic ones hold 200lbs? They also look rough and would damage rope pull through it. I've snapped enough '200lb' hardware store nylon rope to know that unless its ANSI tested stuff, the rating is just a joke.

This is a bit bigger of one, but still holds pretty tough.

matman

Lil-Rokslider
As kooteney replied those metolious carabiners will be one of the smallest and cheapest biners you can find with that much strength rating. Most decent carabiner brands will sell their non locking biners for around 5-12 bucks a piece. Most should have a strength rating of around 19-23Kn. Aluminum will be your lightest, do not waste your time on plastic biners, especially for what you will be using them for. Depending on your pull system you may want a larger throat on the biner to allow more surface area for the rope to ride. The smaller the area the more force needed, the larger the area the less. Now we are talking about a very small amount, but it is something to think about. Knowing more about your system would assist in deciding what may be the best biner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
Check out sierra trading post, they've got Metolious wire gate biners for $5 a piece. I wouldn't waste my time with those plastic things.

Climbing carabiners are designed to be really strong along a single axis, but if you load them sideways or over an edge then their strength is greatly diminished.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR

Thanks all! I'll get em.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk