Carbon vs Aluminum Tripod

dude1000

FNG
Looking at picking up the Sirui T024SKVA5 or T004SKVA5 stands. I cant convince myself the 8oz pack difference is worth the ~$100 price difference. Any other reason I should justify the carbon version to myself?

68Plexi

WKR
I just ordered the T024 carbon Sirui. Only you can decide if the $100 is worth it. Upgraded from an aluminum vortex tripod for a little more stability while keeping the weight Low. In my experience with carbon products they tend to not vibrate as much as aluminum so if it’s windy the carbon should be a little more solid which matters for me at higher magnifications. I’ll let you know what I think after I put the 85mm spotter on it later this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dude1000

dude1000

FNG
Sounds good, thanks. I have the Summit SSP and Razor 65mm scope. Ive been very unhappy with how much it vibrates and don't use my spotter as much as binos because of that. I seem to also fight the quick release coming loose against the scope mount constantly.

68Plexi

WKR
I switched from the SSP too. It’s really light, but like you said it may be too light to stabilize a heavier spotter. I didn’t like spending almost $300 on a tripod either, but it’s the foundation of your optics. Can’t eat em’ if you can’t find em.

BTW, I used a welcome 10% discount from GoHUNT which brought it down to $269 out the door. Free shipping and no tax. Maybe see if Doug at camera land can beat that price, they post here pretty regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
For the comparison you are making, they will both perform the same. Where carbon is better is when you get to big tripods, IMO, where aluminum becomes very heavy. Or where you want super light.

To help with shake, weight the tripod when you are using it via the center column. Hang your pack or come up with something to hang there to add weight and stabilize the tripod.

Jeremy

dduarte85

FNG
I don’t have experience with those brands but I’ve always tended to side with carbon. I jumped in (deep) and went with a Really Right Stuff for my 8x10 view camera. Plus, American made.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
For the comparison you are making, they will both perform the same. Where carbon is better is when you get to big tripods, IMO, where aluminum becomes very heavy. Or where you want super light.

To help with shake, weight the tripod when you are using it via the center column. Hang your pack or come up with something to hang there to add weight and stabilize the tripod.

Jeremy
Adding weight to the center column for added stability is something new to me that I've been experimenting with, but haven't figured out what's the best item to hang there. Hanging the whole pack there is something I'll have to try out

Wapiti1

WKR
Adding weight to the center column for added stability is something new to me that I've been experimenting with, but haven't figured out what's the best item to hang there. Hanging the whole pack there is something I'll have to try out
If you can't hang the pack, leaning it against a leg opposite you will help. I always have a bunch of stuff sacks and they work really well to put rocks, dirt, sand in to weight your tripod. All have a handy drawstring to attach it to the tripod. It can tie to the center column hook, the head itself, or a leg. The sack weighs an ounce to carry. When done, dump and go.

Other comments apply like use the center column as low as possible, get your legs wide, and set the hood on your eyepiece so you don't have to lean into it to get a good view.

Jeremy

OP
dude1000

dude1000

FNG
Thanks Jeremy. I never considered using a stuff sack to weight it but that seems like a no brainer now. I’ll give it a go before I count my ssp a loss.

I started with Gitzo aluminum tripods thirty years ago and still have a couple for car/around the house use. I'd go carbon, make sure to get one that gives you the height you need. Don't rely on a center post extension to get that height unless you really need to save on packed size. I have a number of tripods from short to very tall and bring them based on use. Get one that you don't regret because it's too flimsy or short. Also, every time you carry a CF tripod you'll be thankful you didn't get aluminum

What are people using for a carbon/aluminum tripod for some backcountry hunts? Planning a DIY to SoDak in the fall and want to know what has worked for you. TIA

I've been very impressed with the RRS tripods. A lot of different size options to choose from. also become a big fan of the anvil30 ball heads.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
8 ounces for $100, at less than $13 an ounce which is not bad. If you get the Al, then decide you want the weight savings of CF later it will cost you more per ounce saved.

I spent $264 to save 5 ounces by getting a shelter in DCF instead of silnylon, so about $53 per ounce saved. So, that is my perspective.

CM04

FNG
I bought a sirui (carbon) tripod and outdoorsman heads based off reviews and recommendations; its an awesome setup.