Carrying bear spray while running

Salix

FNG
Does anyone carry bear spray while running? I carry it while hiking but haven't figured out a good system yet while running. I want to be able carry water in a running belt and the normal bear spray holsters either bounce too much or move to the front where it's uncomfortable to carry. Just wondering if someone knew of a water belt/ holster system or if there are thoughts on other solutions.
J

Take-a-knee

Banned
The old Bianchi Top Secret fanny pack was the best running pack I ever tried. Don't know if they still make it. Many like the Hill People Gear Kit Bags for running. There are a lot of reviews of it online. You biggest problem will be finding a decent holster for the bear spray. The UDAP one is a bit of a joke. A good system will involve you getting some needle and thread to make it happen, more than likely.

If this is for big bears, look up a product called flip belt, if this is for black bears, I personally wouldn't bother.

WKR
When I run with spray, I just carry it in one hand.

You can have the spray:

A) Not bouncing around while you run

OR

B) Available immediately in case it becomes necessary

I haven't come across any system that allows for both.

OP
S

Salix

FNG
I looked at a number of options on the internet but couldn't find anything that would carry bear spray without it bouncing a lot as well as water. A friend told me about a product for bear spray for mountain biking. It's called a bear cozy and fits a can of bear spray. It's designed to be the same size as a water bottle so that it will fit into a water bottle cage on a bike. It's light weight and secure. I am using it in a double water bottle waist belt that I use for marathon training and it has seemed to be working so far. I've used it a couple of times on longer training runs where I get away from town and it's secluded area. Not sure what I'll do later this summer when the training runs get longer and I need more liquids than one bottle. Probably will give up the spray, summer shouldn't be as bad for bears as this spring was, but you never know when/ where you'll run into one, we have lots around where I live.
J