Cartridge ideas on 30/06 rebarrel options

Bluefish

WKR
$350 to rebore to 35 whelen. Would keep it looking original and easy to make rounds from 30-06 brass. might not be a 500 yard rifle, but at sub 400 it would take anything you might want to hunt.

Last edited:

gerry35

WKR
Now I'm starting to think a fast twist 25/06 might make most sense just to stick with the same length dimensions. 6mm/06 is something I really haven't looked at but it has many more bullet options. Then again, how many options does one need? Once I find a load and bullet that works, I typically load up on them and set myself up for a while.
I believe it's just a matter of time before one of the big players comes out with a fast twist 25 so bullet supply should just get better. We're seeing it now with the 277 bore getting modern rounds. I agree, how many good bullets does one need? There are several good high b.c. 257 bullets already. A fast twist 25-06 will be a long range beast plus have the option of using factory loads which the wildcats can't match.

Good luck whatever you decide!

robtattoo

WKR
$350 to rebarrel to 35 whelen. Would keep it looking original and easy to make rounds from 30-06 brass. might not be a 500 yard rifle, but at sub 400 it would take anything you might want to hunt.

Or, save $100 & have JES rebore it to .35 Whelen. Quicker turnaround too 😉

I had him do my 721 to 9.3x62, because apparently I hate simplicity.
20220911_143547.jpg

49ereric

WKR
I recently did the same to an old 721 3006 I had the extractor broke and couldn’t get a replacement. I can confirm some 700 parts work. I replaced the bolt, trigger, and bottom metal to 700 parts and put an ultralight 270 win barrel on shoots very well!

I wouldn’t say the 25 is dying I would say the opposite I think it has gained popularity not sure on quality hunting bullets but match there are great bullets.

I wouldn’t go with a short action caliber in my opinion a short cartridge on a long action is weird unless bolt stop and magazine are changed to short action configuration. Personal preference doubt you would have any feeding issues if let long action.

25-06 is what I would pick from what you have said just put a faster twist in it.
Numrich has New manufactured extractors

Unckebob

WKR
270 or a 25-06.

You handload, but if you want it to stay in the family and see use I would stick with a common cartridge that doesn’t require handloading or hard to locate ammo.

Fast twist 270 for the win.

I would not shoot a short action cartridge out of a long action.

Now I'm starting to think a fast twist 25/06 might make most sense just to stick with the same length dimensions. 6mm/06 is something I really haven't looked at but it has many more bullet options. Then again, how many options does one need? Once I find a load and bullet that works, I typically load up on them and set myself up for a while.
There’s two solid fast twist bullets available from Berger and one coming from hornady, plus a bunch of monolithic options. I found the 135gr Berger to work quite well so I bought a few thousand and have been shooting the heck out of them from a few different cartridges. Moved away from my 1:7 25-06 and rebarrel but it was a very finicky shooter and I wanted to try something new. You can also shoot factory 25-06 from a fast twist just fine. The high BC bullets in 25 cal are really fun to shoot and have been good on game as well. 6.5-06 or 6mm-06 would be cool but you lose the ability to buy a box off the shelf.

I would also consider a 6.5 creedmoor. For 500 yards and in it does everything well with low cost and low recoil. Not as “classic” but very utilitarian and effective.

eric1115

WKR
Talking a little bit out of my butt here, as I've never owned any of these.

Definitely stay long action.
1 - .338-06, rebored factory barrel. Keeps everything pretty original, and a cool thumper of a rifle that doesn't suck at longer ranges like a .35W. uses your brass too.

2 - .25-06, some cool quarter bore projectiles out there now, and factory ammo is available. Light recoil, cool retro factor.

3 - .280AI, again some great factory ammo available, probably the most versatile and capable -06 based cartridge (aside from the .30-06 perhaps)

WKR
Going to use a remage barrel to a lighter caliber.
.270 Winchester. Stays with the same basic case, is an easy shooter, and is a classic cartridge for a classic model.
Will be reloading for whatever cartridge, will likely never see a factory round.......Don’t really want to go to a wildcat like 6mm/06 or anything that requires lots of brass forming.
If you change your mind, you could rebore to 8mm-06. You'd be the cool kid on the block.

OP
F

Floridave

FNG
Numrich has New manufactured extractors
Thank you! I just ordered a spare. This has been a concern of mine for years as these have been impossible to find and my understanding a real pain if it breaks. Now I have that covered! Thanks again for that info.

I am in the same situation. But mine is a Rem 700 DM with a 20 inch barrel in 30-06. I am looking at the 25-06 for a lightweight shooter and less recoil. Still on the 700 Long Action but I plan to go with the Remage barrel. I ruled out the 280 since I already have a 7MM Rem Mag I can load down to lighter loads.

Mojave

WKR
For those of you who remember Duncan Gilchrist, the 25-06 was his favorite sheep cartridge.

OP
F

Floridave

FNG
I appreciate all the replies on this topic! I've been back and forth on this and change my mind every 5 minutes.
I'm really down to either a fast twist 243 or just regular 1-10 twist 25/06.

Either would more than handle my hunting needs. No game animal will ever know the difference at my hunting ranges. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the 25/06 because is so matches the Rem 721 long action. Oh no wait, I mean the fast twist 243 cause it'd be cool to have a custom rifle with a long action and fast twist 243 shooting long for caliber bullets 😜 ( I'm assuming if I do go this route, since I have a long action rifle, I would be able to seat long bullets even with the neck and not have them intrude into the case, ala like the 6mm creedmoor accomplishes with its shorter case.)

Plan to get one or the other ordered this week. Where is that coin I can flip?
I'll also add that though I mentioned Elk in the original post, I'm going to not worry about that for now and will likely borrow a family members 7mm mag for that. That used to be one of my primary hunting rounds and I still have all associated reloading stuff for it, I just sold the rifle a while back, but could easily pick another up. So this rebarrel project is basically deer, and I hope proghorn in a year or so.

Last edited: