Central Nevada fly fishing?

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m leaving tomorrow for the Austin Nv arena to deer hunt. In the event I tag out early, are there any nearby streams worthy of a stop to fly fish? Not interested in lakes and/or planted trout.

svivian

WKR
Willow Beach for striped bass

I know you said no lakes but Pyramid lake comes to mind though not the right time of year....

There is not much water out there, let alone fishable streams. There are fish in Kingston Reservoir, I assume they are planted though, not sure what all there is in the Reese River in that area, might be worth a look.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I have not yet been able to fish NV yet, but I am planning to
I know you said no lakes but Pyramid lake comes to mind though not the right time of year....
Is that just because it's slow? I am seeing online that it is open 10/1 - 6/30. I have also seen some recent photos on social media of huge Lahontan cutts out of the lake.

svivian

WKR
I have not yet been able to fish NV yet, but I am planning to

Is that just because it's slow? I am seeing online that it is open 10/1 - 6/30. I have also seen some recent photos on social media of huge Lahontan cutts out of the lake.
Spring time is best with an egg pattern due to the spawn. I think guys do catch them throughout the season but they fish it regularly.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Spring time is best with an egg pattern due to the spawn. I think guys do catch them throughout the season but they fish it regularly.
Hmmm, fishing streamers and avoiding the crowds sounds like it could be a good trade-off over shoulder-to-shoulder bobber fishing.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Pyramid is a little far from where I will be. And if I were going to head that direction to fish, I’d hit the east Walker which is a stream I know very well. Was hoping for something different and closer I was unaware of.

There is supposed to be good fishing at Mill Creek Recreation Area between Austin and Battle Mountain, but I've never tried it.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like there's some decent stuff, here's a screenshot from TroutRoutes

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 1.43.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 1.43.24 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14