Central Nevada Rifle Hunt

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to pull a tag for the early rifle hunt in 171-173. I am just trying to get an idea of what I should expect from this hunt. I will most likely have a week to hunt and plan on hunting the last 7 days of the season. I don’t have an ichy trigger finger and hope to find a mature buck if possible. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks

In the early season be up very early and glass very hard. Those morning hours are precious. Find water, shade, and food as high as you can and deer will be there.

Extrapale

WKR
Do you plan to backpack the high country?

Its pretty much that or hunting the PJs in the low land for resident bucks.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
Justin_Tree

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
Do you plan to backpack the high country?

Its pretty much that or hunting the PJs in the low land for resident bucks.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I plan on hunting the second half of the season and as long as weather permits I’ll be back pack hunting the high country.

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I love that area. I have hunted it more than half a dozen times during different seasons. During rifle seasons expect to see some other hunters no matter where you end up, as you'll find horseback groups pretty deep in. With that said, there are really nice deer in each of the ranges, with the Toiyabe's being the most popular zone to target. Weather can be all over the place, but plan on a little bit of snow being very possible in Mid-October. Water is never an issue in that zone, so don't stress to much on finding it for the animals(you'll obviously need it yourself). I've found that the deer will stay up above 8500' until there is more than 6" of snow on the ground. You'll see deer everyday, and it's a beautiful area!

OP
Justin_Tree

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
I love that area. I have hunted it more than half a dozen times during different seasons. During rifle seasons expect to see some other hunters no matter where you end up, as you'll find horseback groups pretty deep in. With that said, there are really nice deer in each of the ranges, with the Toiyabe's being the most popular zone to target. Weather can be all over the place, but plan on a little bit of snow being very possible in Mid-October. Water is never an issue in that zone, so don't stress to much on finding it for the animals(you'll obviously need it yourself). I've found that the deer will stay up above 8500' until there is more than 6" of snow on the ground. You'll see deer everyday, and it's a beautiful area!
Thanks for the info! Sounds like it should be a fun hunt in some beautiful country.