chainsaw for lots of small tree removal...???

Randle

WKR
Wife and I bought 5 acres with 2 homes and my parents live on the property with us.
Challenging but wouldn't have it any other way as their health is changing fast then I want.

The Stihl pro saws are worth the $. My dad bought an 026 when I was about 10, the saw is old enough to drink now. Freshened it up last year with a new bar, chain, sprocket, carb, and fuel lines. Still original piston, rings, bottom end, etc. Runs great and is the perfect “smaller serious saw”.

I also bought a 440 last year when we bought a chainsaw mill. It is an animal on firewood with a 25” bar.

I’ve actually found buying the smallest pro level tool from Stihl across the board to be a good decision. They are usually light enough to run all day, far outperform the homeowner stuff, and will last a commercial company 6-8 years, which should be a lifetime for you and me.

The Stihl pro saws are worth the $. My dad bought an 026 when I was about 10, the saw is old enough to drink now. Freshened it up last year with a new bar, chain, sprocket, carb, and fuel lines. Still original piston, rings, bottom end, etc. Runs great and is the perfect “smaller serious saw”.

I also bought a 440 last year when we bought a chainsaw mill. It is an animal on firewood with a 25” bar.

I’ve actually found buying the smallest pro level tool from Stihl across the board to be a good decision. They are usually light enough to run all day, far outperform the homeowner stuff, and will last a commercial company 6-8 years, which should be a lifetime for you and me.
Agreed pro models all the way cause they are built to run about 8 years of running 40 plus hours a week

OP
P
Keeping it random.

My great-grandfather help settle where I live now. He had a saw mill that ran lumber and turpentine between Northwest Florida and South Georgia. He owned a lot of that land, it's a shame that I've got none of it now.

There's a city in South Georgia with my last name. Crazy how quickly things change.

I know everybody fights it, and everybody wants money for their children.... I do wish I could see this place like it should be.

Anyway. That's my rant. Good news is we still have a lot of nw Gulf territory protected that's great to go hunt in.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I'm struggling.

Just putting it out there.

We're eating up with covid-19 is crazy. I spent almost $50,000 on IVF we have a baby now finally, and he sees us and grandparents.

I'm a little drunk. I'm a little pissed.

I want some f****** normal

Porterka

FNG
My vote is for the ms261 also. I run a 261 and a 461. They both have their place but I had the 20” bar buried in a 52” cedar today that was about 13’ long ripping it down to get it on the lt40 sawmill. The 261 don’t care I constantly have the bar buried to the dogs and it just keeps going.

I use the 461 for felling the big trees mostly but when it comes to limbing or busting brush the 261 is my saw of choice it’s is light enough to work for 10 hour days and has plenty of power for the small stuff. I always grab it before the 461 unless it’s felling a larger tree.

go with the 261 and you won’t be disappointed.

Random additional saw information.

I have both Husky and Stihl. My beef I’m with Stihl is that I have to order OEM parts through the dealer. Husky (and Echo) parts can be ordered on-line. Handy if you work on your own stuff.

For older Stihl saws there is a thriving aftermarket for common replacement parts. My son (10) recently rebuilt a 40 year old Stihl 028 WB for the cabin, and I was able to get everything he needed via the aftermarket. This is the definition of quality and easy to work on equipment.

61f10fb87f43cbdc25efff54c04ee87d.jpg

a56a46a0ba37c3ca5883fab3c3d1e4e4.jpg

8b45a1e5e686b055a0e1292f1ce788ec.jpg

Keeping it random.

My great-grandfather help settle where I live now. He had a saw mill that ran lumber and turpentine between Northwest Florida and South Georgia. He owned a lot of that land, it's a shame that I've got none of it now.

There's a city in South Georgia with my last name. Crazy how quickly things change.

I know everybody fights it, and everybody wants money for their children.... I do wish I could see this place like it should be.

Anyway. That's my rant. Good news is we still have a lot of nw Gulf territory protected that's great to go hunt in.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I'm struggling.

Just putting it out there.

We're eating up with covid-19 is crazy. I spent almost $50,000 on IVF we have a baby now finally, and he sees us and grandparents.

I'm a little drunk. I'm a little pissed.

I want some f****** normal

I’m not that far from you, the north side of Tallahassee. We’ve been fairly “normal”, I work for myself and the wife has still been going in.

Sick and tired of this Covid garbage, as well as our rights being stripped away as fast as possible it seems.

Took the boys to the beach yesterday and there were “private beach, no trespassing” signs every 20’, and “dune restoration” signs every 20’ behind them.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Have my Husky 55 rancher w/20" bar for most big trees now.Used to just cut oak. Now just PJ's mostly & some white oak. Thing is over 20 yrs old & runs great still.
Got a deal on a new Stihl 170 w/18" bar for limbing & small trees a few yrs ago. Nice small saw. $150
Sold my other big Stihl & a tree trimmer to a woodcutter.
Still have a Echo 5100 w/20" bar for big back up. Another new used deal....$100.

I got the Stihl MS261-CM a few years ago. It had the best $/hp and lbs/hp in what I was looking for.

I only want to have one saw and it has the right combo of power for bigger jobs but light enough for a day of cutting. I went with the CM so I don't have to mess with the carb if I take it up in the mountains.

Perrin713

FNG
I opted to buy a small top handle saw for limbing up trees and just small tree work. Something easy to throw in the utv and the truck. The 371xp I typically I use is awesome but wanted a lighter weight saw. Found these clone saws on the internet. When I bought mine the saw was 80$. For 80$ I figured why not? This little thing is great! Starts on the first pull every time and has plenty of power. Bought a bunch of extra chains for 3$ each and called it good.

OP
P
I opted to buy a small top handle saw for limbing up trees and just small tree work. Something easy to throw in the utv and the truck. The 371xp I typically I use is awesome but wanted a lighter weight saw. Found these clone saws on the internet. When I bought mine the saw was 80$. For 80$ I figured why not? This little thing is great! Starts on the first pull every time and has plenty of power. Bought a bunch of extra chains for 3$ each and called it good.

Haha. Not a bad way to look at it. A couple years ago I went to all $50 or less trail cams and I'm NEVER going back to the high dollar jobs. Got three years out of a couple and they'll be on their fourth year this year. I've spent spent several hundred dollars on Cuddeback, Moultrie, Primos, Scout Guard, and mid range on at least a Browning (maybe others)... none lasted any longer or did anything exceptionally better.

NEXT QUESTION.....

Is my understanding correct in that Stihl replacement chains can't be found at Lowes / Home Depot, etc? EDIT: Nevermind... looks like they are out there. I know the off brand saw chains for Husky would list Husky Model on back of package. I guess with Stihl you just need to know all of the particulars about the chain and then match those to what's on the shelf.

Last edited:

Deepshax

WKR
I’ll add on the the Stihl 261 pile. I like mine, run it with an 18” bar for firewood and cutting trails. Pretty light considering what it can do.

NEXT QUESTION.....

Is my understanding correct in that Stihl replacement chains can't be found at Lowes / Home Depot, etc? EDIT: Nevermind... looks like they are out there. I know the off brand saw chains for Husky would list Husky Model on back of package. I guess with Stihl you just need to know all of the particulars about the chain and then match those to what's on the shelf.

Chains aren't brand specific. All the information you need to know should be stamped somewhere on the bar, typiCALLY close to the powerhead (assuming your sprocket matches what's required). I buy oregon chain in 100' reels from Madsens and it's interchangeable between brands. Have saws from both major manufacturers from 90+ cc's down to battery powered arborist in three different chain sizes (could be 4 if I decided to run .404 on my big stuff).

OP
P
Well.. I went in today with the 170 and manual in hand. Laid them on the counter and asked to exchange for 261.

Knew the price. Not an issue.

Picked it up, and I just know... I'll be more efficient with the semi-disposable 170 for what I'm going to do.

261 significantly heavier and felt Bay badass all around saw.

One hell of a day today. I won't get into it. But it started leaking sink and wife tell me what to do about it at 5:30 in the morning. Ordinarily I would turn the water off come home and fix it tonight. She works from home with a 1 year old

Anyway sink is fixed. And tomorrow I will go cut trees with that 170.

Kind of sad about leaving the 261 on the rack. It just seemed too close to the rancher 455. I get that the still is better, but it felt like a little bit of duplication.