Chainsaws

I run a stihl 291 with an 18 inch bar.I liked it so much I bought a second one. They are fantastic for my needs. Just listen to the pros and keep fresh treated fuel in them.

SPC

FNG
some of the biggest things you can do with a small engine ( especially saws) is:
1 use fresh gas.
2 if you know you are not going to use it for a while empty the tank and let it run until all gas is out of the carb.
3 if it has not run for a long time ( through the winter months) fire it up and let the engine run a bit, until it gets good and hot. 5 to 10 min. It helps to keep from having a hard start at the beginning of the season.
4 run straight gas through your air cleaner and blow it out after 3 to 5 tanks of gas run or before you put it away for the season. Do not use mixed gas on your aircleaner, the oil plugs them up.
I have 3 different saws that I do this with and have had them run good for me for the last 6 years.

Kaseman

FNG
Air filters..I like water & soap rinse thoroughly and hit them with a blow gun then air dry.

Stihl and Husky have homeowner versions which are generally sold at Home Depot on the cheap. They are all typically the models that work well the first few times then as time goes on they tend to advance ones vocabulary in terms of profanity while jerking on the rope trying to get it to run. About the time it’s ready to start the rope breaks. If you need a longer term solution, find a saw shop and buy a pro grade model. Probably 3X more expensive and totally worth it. Use the expensive premixed gas or get gas with no ethanol. Never loan it.

Husky is lighter and faster, eats chain sooner in dirty wood. Stihl is heavier, slower, and more torque. Both are good. Generally.
I laughed out loud when I read that! Really loud! I can't think of another inanimate object that has received so many deserved ass chewings!!! Great advice! I made that purchase a few years ago and my blood pressure is much better now😂

LostArra

WKR
About 25 years ago after an Oklahoma tornado I watched an arborist crew quickly and efficiently dismantle some huge oaks that were downed by a lake neighborhood. Probably 99% of their work was done with a 12" bar chainsaw. After talking to the crew's boss he convinced me of the safety and efficiency of the smaller saws for most jobs. My 12" Echo is now going on 25 years and still starts easily and runs great. Never any ethanol and I clean it up with compressed air after every use. I've replaced chains and air filters. I live in a rural area and use the saw a lot for cleanup and around treestands. I have a bigger saw that gets used about once a year and I usually dread it.

Well already thinking forward to next year's plotting. I need to clear a bunch of brushes and do some needed tsi. I'm tired of using junk chain saws and want to purchase one quality saw. I have heard good things about Stihl. Anything else I should consider? The budget would allow up to $500 and I’m torn between a 16 or 18” bar. It would be used for a small amount of firewood every year as well read more.

Appreciate your thoughts recommendations; I want to get the right one the first time.

Last edited:

bn163

FNG
Top handle saws designed for arborists are handy. Easy to use one handed. Husky & Stihl are both great. Husky offers good financing occasionally with their credit card.

For occasional camp firewood and clearing trails, the saw you have is fine. A larger saw and bar is nice if you are running it for extended time, but for light use, small and light are pluses.

1. Go Stihl, and don’t second guess it. Had a Husky to start with and—although a decent saw—it absolutely does not compare to a comparable Stihl.

2. Get a pro model saw if you can, even if a low-end pro model. I completely understand that sometimes money is the deciding factor, but the magnesium case is a big deal in terms of durability and reliability.

3. Maintain it religiously.

4. Maintain it religiously.

I highly recommend the 261 C-M. I wouldn’t go more than an 18” bar unless your situation truly demands it. I live on about 4 ac with thick trees/brush and it’s all the saw I’ll ever need and nothing more.

I have a Husky 576 for big wood (> 18 inches), stihl 038 for all around use, a stihl 311 for medium wood and varius conditions, a stihl 170 for trail work in lodgepole and a dwalt 12" electric for hunting on horseback. They are just tools - get what you need for conditions you encounter. Note: I bought my 038 in 80 and it still runs well.

Cmf0403

FNG
Stihl ms361 will handle almost anything a home owner can throw at it. Small enough to use for camp wood, and dependable enough to cut a couple cords of wood a year. It's the pro line of saws sow it can be easily repaired plus a lot of parts available for it. Make sure to purge it or put fuel stabilizer in the fuel before u store it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Those stihl m170s are like the 30-06 up here where I live . I don’t think I know anybody who dosent have one. I have a farmboss but always grab the 17 for work around the yard.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
Those stihl m170s are like the 30-06 up here where I live . I don’t think I know anybody who dosent have one. I have a farmboss but always grab the 17 for work around the yard.
I used my 170 to take down 2 Gold Cypresses and cut it up. The proceeded to use it to grind the stump and roots. Cleaned it up and put a new chain on it, good to go. Then did a dipshit move and filled the gas tank with chain oil. Drained it, flushed a few times with gas, finally got it started and let that sucker run to burn up any residual chain oil.