Chances of seeing Deer and Elk near each other?

SO i drew a tag in CO for deer. I have an idea of where to go and from my map study it looks good. My buddy will have a elk tag and we aren't hunting together but we will be in the same area. Will the deer and elk both be up above timber first week of September? Im probably gonna buy an elk tag too

svivian

WKR
Depends on the unit and the geography. I don't think I have ever elk hunted and not seen deer or vice versa. But Murphy law always looks to see what tag is in my pocket.

While I hunt lower altitude I see quite a few deer. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but I never see them together. It may simply be a difference in behavior, but I will never see them in the same meadow at the same time. Usually at least 20 minutes apart.

elkguide

WKR
Made me think but I can't remember ever seeing both in the same park or even on the same hillside. Definitely in the same area but never in close proximity. Depended totally on the area that we were in and the time of year.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know about Colorado but where I hunt in Idaho, I do so because I can hunt deer and elk at the same time. I always see them in the same habitat together although the elk do seem to hole up in dark timber more.

Randy

rayporter

WKR
in colorado over 8500 ft, many times i have seen deer and elk together= it looked like one herd. i actually shot a deer once with elk on both sides of me -with in yards of me. the deer was in the herd of elk.

Screw Murphy's Law: have both tags!

Of course then you'll probably see nothing but bighorn sheep and mountain goats :cool:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My buddy and I are always talking about this exact subject. We both started hunting together in 1980. We'd go elk and deer hunting and couldn't go a day without seeing 100 deer, and most likely a few dozen elk. Last year I hunted elk 20+ days and saw ONE deer.......a small 3-point. The year before I saw one deer also......a doe. But I saw a ton of elk. This has been a pattern for me for the past several years. To me it seems as though there is absolutely a separation zone between the two. If I find elk, I don't see deer. If I find deer, I don't see elk. Went scouting a couple years ago to a new spot and all I saw was deer........buck after buck after buck........and not a single elk for three days.

Jordan guyer

Lil-Rokslider
I had a group of deer come into a meadow that I was watching full of elk. All the elk watched the deer and allowed me to get into position for a shot on my elk

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

crazyhawksfan

Lil-Rokslider
The area we elk hunted in Colorado last year was loaded with deer. They were all up high, same as the elk. Right around timberline. Never saw them actually in close with the elk but definitely using the same areas. Hoping to draw the deer tag for that unit next year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ecologically elk and deer do not share the same space, that isn't the rule but generally speaking they don't. They are also more sensitive to weather such as snow which can push them much quicker than it will elk.

Hunt2Eat

FNG
I'm wondering this same thing. I hunting OTC for archery elk in CO, and I drew a deer tag for Unit 75/751 for second rifle where I'll be hunting with a buddy that has an elk tag. Not sure how to approach the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
Jtelarkin08
Ya good to hear. I drew a deer tag and will also buy a otc elk tag. Because i know as soon as i don't ill see elk. I have seen quite a few deer in this unit we are going to and elk sign but no elk. Im excited I think we will have a good hunt. We picked the first week of September so that hopefully both will be at or above timber.

njdoxie

WKR
I rarely see deer, but commonly see elk at 9000 - 11000 where I rifle hunt in Southern CO, and that's in several units, I'm always amazed how few deer I see, would be waste of money to buy a tag, most years I don't see a single deer. But I wouldn't buy a deer tag if I had 190 bucks filing by me, as elk is priority 1, 2, and 3, and you have to stop elk hunting and start caring for the deer if u get one.

Last edited:
You just never know. What you read may say little chance, but they mix. Heck, somebody told me that moose would push out elk, but I've watched a moose watch two elk have a little sparring match!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I can think of several good bucks that got away because a dang herd of elk moved through and buggered everything up between the spot and the stalk.

I had to pass on a huge buck with my bow one year because all I had was an elk tag. Very sad day indeed.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend having both tags in your pocket if you can afford it. I typically have a deer tag in my pocket here in CO, but priority 1 is elk. You need to understand what your out there to hunt; deer or elk. It's a long shot that you'll bag both with archery tackle, but its nice to have the reassurance of both tags at your disposal. Hope this helps.