Changing arrows for 2024, seeking guidance

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I am wanting to change arrows for 2024. Trying to figure out my best route. I am wanting to keep the arrow in the 450-475 range, issue I'm having is at my draw length and arrow length keeping an arrow that light drops my FOC.

I am not here to argue high FOC. I am only interested in keeping my set up ethical. Hunting western game, mostly deer but someday ill get an elk 😉. Shooting Sevr and Iron Will BHs. Only shoot 63 lbs currently. Goal is to be shooting 70 lbs by 2024.

Current arrow is an Easton 6.5. 454 gn at 9%. I can bump up to a 50 gn insert an be 487 at 10.5%. Arrow is 30" carbon to carbon all arrows I'm looking at currently just using the same measurements for the sake of comparison.

2 arrows I am eyeballing are the Easton Sonic and RIP TKO. Both will allow me to run 50-60 grain inserts for a total arrow weight 470-480 and 10-12%. Where im trying to stay lighter weight would it be worthwhile to ditch the lighted knock? I could also try and use different vanes to shave a few grains off the tail but I was wanting to just run AAE Max Stealth.

Just looking for guidance for those with more experience. I don't want to drop the time and money on new arrows unless it makes sense.

Attachments

• 20231008_082645.jpg
    20231008_082645.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20231008_082641.jpg
    20231008_082641.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20231008_082636.jpg
    20231008_082636.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 42

fatlander

WKR
Drop the wrap and lighted nock.

Shoot 50 grains of brass and 125 grain points up front.

The 6.5 is a fine arrow. For the money, I think you can’t beat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
With CoC broadheads I don’t think you’re going to have much of an issue getting a pass through even at 63 lbs, regardless of what your FOC is.

Reactions: Zac

TheTone

WKR
I have a hard time anymore trying to not justify using Easton axis with either 50 grains of brass and 100 grain head or the standard inserts with 125 heads. The overall weight, FOC and thick walls just seem to be such an easy way to go

chasewild

WKR
I have a hard time anymore trying to not justify using Easton axis with either 50 grains of brass and 100 grain head or the standard inserts with 125 heads. The overall weight, FOC and thick walls just seem to be such an easy way to go
This.

I shoot your exact specs (my draw is 27.5 for reference). I shoot a 100 grain head, 50 grain insert, and 25 grain collar with the 340 axis. 3 AAE Max Stealths, and x-nock. Total weight I think is like 484?

The only thing I'm going to do different (I think) next year is to use a 25 grain insert.

Axis 5mm with brass. Durable, US made arrow that you do not have to spine align because of how Easton produces their carbon. I’ve been using them for what seems like a decade now and never had the first issue with them.

Exodus on the business end and your set. Keep it simple.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Drop the wrap and lighted nock.

Shoot 50 grains of brass and 125 grain points up front.

The 6.5 is a fine arrow. For the money, I think you can’t beat it.

Keeping the wraps I dig them. I know ow they don't help my goal but I just like to use them anymore.
What is your DL?
29.5"
With CoC broadheads I don’t think you’re going to have much of an issue getting a pass through even at 63 lbs, regardless of what your FOC is.
Yeah and that's why I'm not too concerned with chasing max. I just question ethics when I start dropping under 10.
Doing the math if I want to shoot axis I am well over 500 grains. If I want to shoot axis and keep my Foc over 10 I am mid 500s. Just too heavy for my wants.

Cutting 1.5-2” off an axis saves about 15-20ish grains and improves your FOC. Unless you wrap your hand over the arrow shelf and need that 30” arrow.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Cutting 1.5-2” off an axis saves about 15-20ish grains and improves your FOC. Unless you wrap your hand over the arrow shelf and need that 30” arrow.
I can go a little shorter but my pointer finger does ride high so i do like that length just fir a bit if extra safety.

I will say this winter I'm going to get some coaching and work on me so if my grip gets tweaked and corrected it may help me. I just know I have had AAE Max Hunter vanes nick my finger on the way out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008_104402_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008_104402_Facebook.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 38

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
I would cut as much off of the arrow as I can and then replace the weight lost with insert and point weight.

I shoot axis 340s and have a 27in draw. I cut my arrows to 25.5 carbon to carbon and have a 50gr insert and 125gr head.

5mm axis with brass or iron will inserts. Max stealths, tac vanes, or sk3s. You have two great broadheads chosen. I’ve had no issues with my arrows and get pass throughs. Basically same set up with standard hits. Have 2 dozen I’ll build for winter and next couple years and I’ll be adding heavier inserts only for adding weight to the arrow not foc reasons. FOC is a joke. We used to send Easton lightspeeds with 75 grain heads and aluminum cb inserts through elk before bows got fast and rangefinders improved.

big44a4

WKR
I have the same DL and my arrows are 28.75” long CTC. I shoot victory RIP TKO and SS with TI collars podium and IW along with HIT inserts. It’s a damn durable setup.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
5mm axis with brass or iron will inserts. Max stealths, tac vanes, or sk3s. You have two great broadheads chosen. I’ve had no issues with my arrows and get pass throughs. Basically same set up with standard hits. Have 2 dozen I’ll build for winter and next couple years and I’ll be adding heavier inserts only for adding weight to the arrow not foc reasons. FOC is a joke. We used to send Easton lightspeeds with 75 grain heads and aluminum cb inserts through elk before bows got fast and rangefinders improved.
Which is why I'm not wanting to debate FOC. Just hit that 10-15% range that Easton reccomends, to make me feel better.

Unnecessary length and rear end weight are counterproductive to your goal of boosting FOC. Eliminating the wrap and switching to an unlighted nock would increase FOC by 2-3% on any of those arrow builds. Trimming off an inch or two would also help.

Fortunately, FOC doesn't really matter and any of the arrows you're considering will kill just fine.

I just built up some 300 spine Victory RIPs, standard RIP not the TKO, with the factory blazers (for now) and 50gr brass HIT inserts and 100gr points. They weigh 468gr.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
RIP's are a good shaft, the components however are garbage. If you use aftermarket HITs you'll be fine. Easton Sonic is more of a plug and play if you use 125-150 grain points with the standard insert.

TheTone

WKR
Anyone got any real durability testing with the sonics? I like the 6mm shafts for the standard type inserts but have been a little nervous to try them due to the gpi and associated rather thin walls

SloppyJ

WKR
I switched to Victory arrows 2yrs ago and haven't looked back. I use Ethics inserts in them and have had great luck.

I use the RIP TKOs but their site does a great job at comparing all that they offer with clear GPI measurements.

Good luck. Building new arrows is fun. I can't stray from the lighted nocks because my eyesight is bad so I'm running 490gr around 14% FOC with 125gr broadheads.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone got any real durability testing with the sonics? I like the 6mm shafts for the standard type inserts but have been a little nervous to try them due to the gpi and associated rather thin walls
Purely anecdotal but I shot TAC UT with a guy who had the sonics. If he missed a target his arrow was toast no matter what it hit
. Compared to my 6.5 where I missed a few and didn't blow up any arrows. Even after skipping a couple off of logs/hard ground.