Charging Bear - 10mm vs 44mag

JjamesIII

WKR
Average Joe, not Jerry miculuk - I like that. It would be impossible to replicate a surprise bear charge, so this is probably as close as we can get other than studying after action reviews of real bear charges. I’m a 10 mm fan for the reasons demonstrated in the video. I know I’ll never get as fast with a magnum caliber wheel gun. Basically fire for effect, a hard cast bullet has the penetration, hopefully one will hit the central nervous system. Thank god I haven’t had to test this theory out myself.

WKR
10mm or .44? Neither. Use cold steel. Preferably a 9-12 inch Bowie.

With your left hand, reach into the bear’s mouth and grab it by the tongue. Hold on tight and ignore the pain of the bite on your left forearm. Now, with knife in your right hand, stab the full of the blade at the base of the bear’s neck. Work the blade in deep and work it around. Now, hang on and ride it out.

That’s how you do it.

OP
PredatorSlayer

With your left hand, reach into the bear’s mouth and grab it by the tongue. Hold on tight and ignore the pain of the bite on your left forearm. Now, with knife in your right hand, stab the full of the blade at the base of the bear’s neck. Work the blade in deep and work it around. Now, hang on and ride it out.

That’s how you do it.
😳

That’s how you do it.

Listen to the interview part

Yarak

WKR
At least with the 44 you can use it as a club without it flying all to pieces if you fail to stop the bear

11boo

WKR

That’s how you do it.
It was a good death.

Yoder

WKR
I'm sure I could get more rounds on target faster with a 10mm but does it have enough penetration to kill a bear? I would think if the noise doesn't scare it away your most likely getting mauled. With either gun, it would probably be a lucky shot to kill a giant bear.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I'm sure I could get more rounds on target faster with a 10mm but does it have enough penetration to kill a bear? I would think if the noise doesn't scare it away your most likely getting mauled. With either gun, it would probably be a lucky shot to kill a giant bear.
I do most of my hunting in grizz country…i came to the realization several years ago that your goal isn’t to kill them, it is for you to live. A CNS shot is the only thing that will stop them in their tracks, so you hope for one of those, but you are really just letting them know you bite back and praying you can deter them with some shots to the face or chest or where ever you can put them.

dtrkyman

WKR
Rinella had a bear attack "victim" on. His buddy was actually being mauled and he shot the bear quartered away perfectly through the vitals with a .300 mag, to his shock the bear turned his attention to him and charged!

He had to aim carefully as the bear was on top of his buddy!

Can't remember all the rest of the details but as stated earlier to anchor the bear you need a precise shot!

I would still take the 10mm, a big 44 mag is not ideal and I would be more likely to make better shots with the 10. 44 is heavy and clumsy for me!

Are there any stories or videos of a bear charging through or continuing to maul after being hit with bear spray? I know I’ve read stories of bears fighting through gunshots.

(Not trying to start a debate. Just asking for facts)