charging devices in field

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Newtrent user here too. $29.99 off Amazon. I can get 4-5 charges out of mine depending on temperature outside.

Renoit24

FNG
Newtrent looks nice. I have a smaller battery pack, extra batteries and a goal zero solar charger but it was useless this year up in Colorado with all the clouds and rain. Something to think about.

I use the goal zero guide 10 system. I can use the solar panel if out for a long time or will be using GPS maps on cell phone a lot. Otherwise I just take the fully charged battery pack that is part if the system. I've used this system for three years in all kinds of weather (sept - nov) in colorado, and it's worked perfect on my iphone.
Mike
ytyjebyz.jpg

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the Goal Zero 10 for a couple of seasons now and it has worked pretty well. While I always take backup batteries, the Goal Zero will keep most devices up and running although my Garmin Rino GPS has presented a challenge for the unit. I just can't seem to get it fully charged but, it does provide a useable, partial charge.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Suntastics and the USB attachment. Suntastics is better solar technology than the goal zero.

Goal Zero for me as well, wouldn't really need it if I wasn't running cameras all the time but it definitely works to keep the batteries charged up when its cold.

tttoadman

WKR
Goal Zero 10. If only for a few days, I will take the battery pack(or 2) to avoid having to take the panel. Ditto on the inability to charge the garmin rinos. We just use the AA packs for that and/or use the re-chargeable batteries out of the Goal 0.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Goal Zero Nomad 7 panel and Switch 8 battery pack. Keeps my headlamp, e-reader and phone full of juice and although slower, still charges on cloudy days. Definitely worth the weight for me. I found 6" charging cords at Home Depot for micro USB and iPhone that work well and eliminate the longer cords too. Everything stays nice and tidy inside the solar panel's pocket

KMT

WKR
I'm with lorneparker1 on this. Phone stays in truck. My gps uses two AA batteries and my headlamp uses 3 AAA. I carry an extra set of batteries for each, which is more than enough juice for a week. I don't run my GPS all day, and headlamp batteries last forever.

JeremiahH

WKR
I've been taking this little guy http://www.brunton.com/products/bumb-apl-hybrid-solar
Not sure about the price on their site though. I think mine was around $20 off amazon or ebay, cant remember. I use it for my cell phone. I normally don't have cell service but I use my phone every night before tent lights out to send a spot connect message to my GF. I take spare batteries for my vid camera and gopro. My system works fairly well for around 5-6 days but anything longer depending on temperatures and I think I would need something similar to the goal zero.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only techy device I take on a hunt is my GPS, and I only turn it on when I want it on so the batteries last the entire 30 day season. My headlamp batteries seem to last a long time too, I've never had to replace them during a season.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The only tech type devices i bring along are:

Cell Phone

SAT Phone

Micro 4/3 camera (3 extra batteries)

100-300 zoom/45mm fixed/12mm wide

Swarovski APO digi scoping adapter

Point and shoot camera (extra batteries)

Camcorder (large battery attached)

New Trent battery pack

Other than that, I'm almost like Jim Bridger:)