Cheap Stuff that Works

Extra tuff socks...expensive, but Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life and Made in USA.

Helly Hanson or Grundens Commercial Fishing Rain Gear...mine was purchased in 1989 and still on my boat.

GaiaGPS...inexpensive and covers all states including wildfire perimeters, imagery, ownership parcels, BMA, WPA, topo maps.

InReach for text messages and broadcasting to selected users map location at user selected intervals

Jet sleds...mine have lasted over 15 years hauling firewood all winter long and gear during hunting season.

TAG bags....six-pack (28″ X 60″) that packs to the same volume as one of my old cotton moose bags.
HaulingMoose.jpg

syoungs

FNG
Extra tuff socks...expensive, but Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life and Made in USA.

Helly Hanson or Grundens Commercial Fishing Rain Gear...mine was purchased in 1989 and still on my boat.

GaiaGPS...inexpensive and covers all states including wildfire perimeters, imagery, ownership parcels, BMA, WPA, topo maps.

InReach for text messages and broadcasting to selected users map location at user selected intervals

Jet sleds...mine have lasted over 15 years hauling firewood all winter long and gear during hunting season.

TAG bags....six-pack (28″ X 60″) that packs to the same volume as one of my old cotton moose bags.
View attachment 375999
Do you mean Darn tough socks?

Stuff1616

FNG
Stream light micro light. Runs off 1 AAA battery, weighs a few ounces, clips on a hat or headband and is super bright. Goes with me everyday. I think they’re like $25-$30

98c91bbd89c99e7e7e8afbd5679087fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I too have this one and it goes with me everywhere.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I too have this one and it goes with me everywhere.

1cb955c6e27588941bb9e7afbb6532fa.jpg

I have this model. It’s a step up from the little guy. I use it every single day. I’m a water/wastewater operator in a small town up in AK, so it’s pretty vital to me day to day.

Pro tip, if you buy them online from eBay, they’ll ship the batteries no question even though they’re hazmat. Amazon won’t do that.

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using these for a while now. I like them a lot. I think they are brighter than my WalMart/Energizer ones.

Thanks to having to get a link for this thread, I realized they sell a 2-pk , discounted about 15% from a single. I can now replace the two in my shopping cart with this two-pack.

I WOULD like a white light only lamp, or at least, no flashing lights. How often do we need that option? At least make it harder to get to!

At least this headlamp has a separate switch for the red. You don't have to cycle through all the modes/colors.

Vekkia headlamp

08EAAAE2-9322-42D1-AE1F-292C5CC6A814.jpeg

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
One of the most useful and practical threads I've read on any forum.

Took me all weekend to read through this. Ordered a pair of the Wrangler pants to try, and my amazon list is now very full.

For purifying water take a small opaque dropper bottle filled with bleach and put 1-2 drops per quart and wait 10 minutes. I’ve been doing this for 25 years from Alaska to South America (learned it in military survival school). It’s faster than iodine, super cheap, lighter and more compact than any filter and a bottle the size of a AA battery will last a month. If the water tastes bleachy you used too much but can leave the lid open and out gas the bleach after all the nasties are dead. Always use fresh bleach and a dark/opaque bottle because light neutralizes bleach.

The little nra folding knife they give away with memberships occasionally. It’s a cheap knockoff of the buck 55 but it gets a pretty darn sharp edge and actually holds it for a whole deer if you don’t start cutting hair and bone. Also it’s not a tragedy if you lose one unlike the fancy stuff. My friend always had one since they have sent him many over the years and one time after killing a deer I forgot my usual knife in the truck so he gave me his and told me to keep it. I prefer my outdoor edge swingblade but after awhile I noticed that every time I had a successful hunt I had that knife in my pocket. Silly superstition, but I figure the thing is now my lucky charm and a useful little knife that is a good backup too, it goes on every hunt. I’m not superstitious, but I might be a little stitious…

Heet is just Methanol not much different than alcohol. The difference is Methanol is harmful if inhaled or ingested in its raw form.

Either toilet paper method does not produce stoichiometric combustion, neither of which i would use unless in an emergency situation.

Haha love the chemistry you put in there. Working on my Masters and doing stoichometry right when I was reading that. Lol.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
My contribution:

These gloves are warm, tough, water proof, and pretty inexpensive. They also stay supple in really cold weather. I've found they're great to use while driving the 4wheeler in last season, walking to the stand, and brushing off snow from my tree stand.

Cone of shame for dogs. Weighs nothing, packs flat, and rolls up just like a bull magnet call. Little tape and its good to to go! Probably simlar to a milk or oil jug people use, but I figured it took up less space.

Moose hunting for the first time in a week...will see if it works!

View attachment 323855
Guide forgot his bugle in camp on my elk hunt last Sept. He cut the bottom out of a gatorade bottle and was able to call in the bull in my profile pic with it.

Last edited:
Guide forgot his bugle in camp on my elk hunt last Sept. He cut the bottom out of a gatorade bottle and was able to call in the bull in my profile pic with it.

So this is crazy coincidence, I lost my bugle tube in 2021 in some thick brush. I met my hunting buddy at a agreed to spot about 4 hours later . So as we met at this edge of a NF fence line I told him I had lost my bugle tube. I was so disappointed. So we are standing there with our binoculars and I kick something at my feet in the mud. I kicked at it and it looks like some kind of plastic. So I start pulling it out and damned if it is not a corrugated black plastic old bugle tube with old rotted camo fabric. Here I lost one and then found one within an a few hours of losing mine, in the middle of the mountains of Colorado! So I washed it out and added a 20 oz. Gatorade bottle back in camp to add some volume and I subsequently called in three bulls in the next two days with the damn thing. Keep that Gatorade empty, you never know!!!