Cheaper Lithium trolling motor batteries?

ckleeves

WKR
I need new trolling motor batteries on the boat and was just going to go AGM or flooded lead acid again until I started looking at how much cheaper Lifepo4 has gotten in the last few years.

Anybody using Redodo or Litime or any of the cheaper Amazon batteries on their boat? I’m not interested in paying 2k for Dakota’s but some of these sub 300.00 batteries are tempting.

Worth the few extra bucks over AGM or just stay away from them?

I wanted to try them Litime as well they just seem too good to be true. I have saw a few guys post about them on fishing forums saying that some Will Prowse guy on youtube who test & reviews all the lithiums gave them raving reviews but i haven't watched it yet and for all i know that guys an idiot.

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
I wanted to try them Litime as well they just seem too good to be true. I have saw a few guys post about them on fishing forums saying that some Will Prowse guy on youtube who test & reviews all the lithiums gave them raving reviews but i haven't watched it yet and for all i know that guys an idiot.
Lots of good reviews on Amazon also but like you said seems too good to be true. I may try some, even if they only last 3 ish years they aren’t really any difference in price then a decent quality AGM. As long as they don’t burn my garage down I can just chalk it up to a lesson learned lol.

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
I really don’t have any certain model picked out. Just started looking at them yesterday. I know next to nothing about LifePO4 batteries. I always looked at the prices and didn’t dig real deep.

There is a Redodo low temp protection, 100 ah group 31 for 239.00 on Amazon. I have no idea how Redodo stacks up against the other Chinese batteries.

I have a NOCO 3 bank charger now which has a Lithium setting on it so I’m assuming I wouldn’t need a new charger but I might be wrong.

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
^ That’s exactly what I was looking for thanks. From looking around you can find that model for under 280.00 now. Cutting 100 lbs of battery weight out of the boat is crazy.

Edit: Direct from LITime in the “like new” section you can get them for 222.00 with coupon. The only thing is depending on where you look the warranty may only be 4 years vs 5 on the “like new”.

Last edited:

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 of the Weize 100ah lithiums from Amazon in my boat. One has been for powering electronics going on 2 years, and the other 2 have been for 24v trolling motor for 1 year. Zero complaints so far, and the Weize batteries are supposedly very well built (source: Youtube review).

I’ve been very happy with these and wouldn’t hesitate to buy more for my next boat, but time will tell. Keep in mind you may need to upgrade your onboard charger if your current one isn’t lithium capable.

svivian

WKR
^ That’s exactly what I was looking for thanks. From looking around you can find that model for under 280.00 now. Cutting 100 lbs of battery weight out of the boat is crazy.
What’s your plan to charge them? You’ll need a new inverter to charge from your alternator on the boat motor otherwise and I heard they are pricey as well.

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
What’s your plan to charge them? You’ll need a new inverter to charge from your alternator on the boat motor otherwise and I heard they are pricey as well.
My cranking battery is new, I’m just looking to replace my trolling motor batteries which are on a NOCO charger which I believe will do Lithium batteries. If somebody knows different I would love to know before I dive too deep.153533BB-B5A5-48A3-B503-AFFE4362AFEA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR
I have 3 of the Weize 100ah lithiums from Amazon in my boat. One has been for powering electronics going on 2 years, and the other 2 have been for 24v trolling motor for 1 year. Zero complaints so far, and the Weize batteries are supposedly very well built (source: Youtube review).

I’ve been very happy with these and wouldn’t hesitate to buy more for my next boat, but time will tell. Keep in mind you may need to upgrade your onboard charger if your current one isn’t lithium capable.
Thanks, those have great reviews also. Time to watch some more YouTube vids I guess lol. What are you using for a charger?

Dukhtr3

FNG
I am running 3 50ah ionics on my 36v Minn kota terrova. I have had them for 2 full seasons and I am loving them. Yet to kill them in 1 day.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, those have great reviews also. Time to watch some more YouTube vids I guess lol. What are you using for a charger?
Noco Genius 10x4. They were super cheap on Amazon a couple years back. No issues, can select between lead acid, agm, and lithium for each battery.

I am running 3 50ah ionics on my 36v Minn kota terrova. I have had them for 2 full seasons and I am loving them. Yet to kill them in 1 day.

Running 2 for a 24v. After a day on the water they're still at 90% or higher.

OP
ckleeves

ckleeves

WKR

That’s impressive. You guys are both using Ionics correct? Are you guys on your motors quite a bit like spot locking in windy conditions?

Dukhtr3

FNG
I have gotten mine down to 15% pulling crank baits all day and just using the trolling motor to steer while running the kicker but that was a real windy day. Most days I have over 50% left on my 20' ranger. Oh ya and I love the ionic app.

dusky

FNG
I'll be getting 3 li time 100ah trolling motor batteries for my rig. I did a lot of reading and video watching and have contacted li time and they all point to a good buy. Even if they never make it past 5 years, their warranty period. I'm buying a capacity tester to test them when they arrive, to be sure they're good, and to test them each year. I was considering Ionic but the price didn't seem worth it. I do like their Bluetooth battery monitor, but I can add a Viktron Smartshunt to each Li Time battery and still have enough leftover for a GenPro 10x4 and capacity tester and beat Ionic prices. I trust Will Prouse's expertise.