Chef trick- ground meat

Beendare

WKR
I process my own game meat…i know its clean and fresh and I know its mine

I have evolved to a rough single grind on my burger with no added fat-(though I add olive oil when cooking)

I just wasnt happy with it double ground.

Now from this video, I now know why- less Myocin development…informative if you do your own processing

Interesting.. might have to try it out next time

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

DroptineDC18

Lil-Rokslider
Very interesting concepts indeed. With your rough grind, are you using a processor like she uses or a traditional grinder with a larger plate?

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Very interesting concepts indeed. With your rough grind, are you using a processor like she uses or a traditional grinder with a larger plate?
I use a LEM grinder with the coarse attachment. My butcher buddy taught me the semi freeze trick, it grinds better. I typically do as much as 40# plus sometimes, that would be a PITA, a small food processor.

The moose, elk, hog, deer that I grind is not as coarse as the meat in her vid. I am going to check LEM and see if they have a attachment that is more coarse than the one I have.

I think I’m going to grind some of the wild hogs finer and make some of those delicious looking asian meat balls she made.

Who knew…..that Myocin was a big deal? I Didn’t.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Main issue with her method is she’s using beef sirloin with lots of fat. Shoot an 8 year old cow elk, grind a roast like that and tell me how tender it is after your jaw is tired of chewing.

WoodBow

WKR
I can't say i have ever eaten ground meat of any kind that was tough, whether store bought or self processed. That being said, I am open to trying new things because for whatever reason I do not enjoy ground game meat.

Seems to me that the myocin effect that she is talking about would be beneficial to us processing lean wild game so that it would patty better without the fat to act as a binding agent.

feanor

WKR
Myocin…. More like borocyn. Kidding.

Thanks for sharing. I’d like to try that next season and see how it goes for burgers. The meatloaf concept of adding filler to keep it from grabbing makes sense.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never double ground my meat. One time through turns it into burger, that's all I'm looking for. I prefer burger anyway on elk, especially older bulls. My girls have always liked my giant elk burgers. I generally mix in a bunch of shredded mozzarella with the meat. It helps to hold them together, and also grills up nicely with a crisp cheese layer on both sides. My meatloaf is my oldest daughter's favorite meal........juicy and tender.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Worth a try, we always run it twice. Once thru coarse then second with the fine plate.

Next time we grind going to test cook a burger that has been once thru the coarse plate. Then another burger that goes thru the coarse plate twice.

RCB

WKR
After reading a lot of suggestions from pro chefs and such, I went pretty hard for a bit on the "coarse grind, don't pre-salt, don't over-work it" thing. But I found that, despite 20% pork fat, I just didn't get enough of a bind. The burgers would sometimes be so crumbly that just flipping them on the grill was a challenge - they'd nearly fall apart.
So I modified it a bit on my last run. Yes, still only single grind (though fairly fine grind). But I salted the pound of meat, worked it in for a bit, and let it sit for ~30m before forming patties and cooking. Definitely an improvement for me. It doesn't become a tight sausage, but it held together much better (salt breaks down the meat and helps it bind - that's why it's so important in sausage). And of course having a good amount of seasoning distributed throughout the burger improves flavor. Will probably continue to do something like that in the future.

NB7

WKR
I believe it. I too stopped double grinding a while back because I found it too dense after the second pass

z987k

WKR
Interesting proposition, but I'm sure as hell not going to cook a burger in a skillet then finish it in the oven :ROFLMAO:
Why not? You can get perfectly done meat temp wise with a killer sear if you do it on cast iron. Sear on the stove, straight into a pre-heated oven.

This is my main method of cooking steaks in the winter. Honestly, they're generally better than the grill.