Chest rig/holster and pack

Sean1

FNG
I am looking for my best option for a chest holster that works with a chest pack. The pack will double as a bino harness as well as a fishing pack. I would prefer two separate rigs so if I take the chest pack off I still have my holster on. Needs to be accessible in a pair of waders too.

Gun is a Ruger Alaskan.

Thank you in advance.

I used a Razco under an AGC bino pack with my Ruger Alaskan on a Brown bear hunt and it worked great while in waders the whole time. The Razco has the ability to mount direct to the pack but also has clips to use as a chest rig only when you do t take the bino’s. I never used it without my bino’s, but it can do both which I like.

OP
S

Sean1

FNG
When running the Kenai with a pack, is the holster behind or below the pack? I know the razco can be set up below the pack but you have to reconfigure it to be a chest rig I think.

BLJ

WKR
I use an AGC Denali for binos and a Sig P365 with a 12 round mag fits in the front pocket.

Diamond d Chest holster more tucked under my left arm and binos out front in an fhf rig.
Do you have a photo? I'm looking at the diamond d for a ruger super blackhawk. Not many companies support that firearm design.

Bino harness aside. Do you find your backpack shoulder straps get in the way of your draw?

AK_Chuck

FNG
When running the Kenai with a pack, is the holster behind or below the pack? I know the razco can be set up below the pack but you have to reconfigure it to be a chest rig I think.
You can do either. I typically adjust my kenai to ride below my bino holster as I find it more comfortable.

gman82001

WKR
Do you have a photo? I'm looking at the diamond d for a ruger super blackhawk. Not many companies support that firearm design.

Bino harness aside. Do you find your backpack shoulder straps get in the way of your draw?
Let me see if I have some time to snap a picture tonight

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Might want to look into Simply Rugged with the Chesty Puller rig. You can get a pancake holster for your Super Blackhawk so you can use it strong side or cross draw. And when you want a chest rig, same holster adapts to become one.

def90

WKR
This topic seams to come up every month or two, a lot of info here if you do a search.

I'll throw in the Hill People Gear recon kit bag with their bino pouch added to the front.

As an aside to the above comment: great starting point for sure. HPG kit bags are great. I have a HPG SAR bag and it's great for carrying a weapon and some other stuff. Lots of crap, actually. I've used it for fishing gear with a pistol, survey equipment with a pistol, note-taking stuff and cell phone/camera with the pistol... various iterations. I want to carry my binos inside the bag with the iron (usually a Glock 17+ extra mag), but they're too bulky (10x42, so not huge).. And it's way too bulky to wear a separate harness over top. I usually keep the binos near my hip or just stowed in my pack, since the vast majority of the time I'm not using them unless I've stopped. The pistol is not a bear defense gun... its for people. If I got into a spot where I needed it (the bag, changing out to an acceptable weapon) on a lion hunt or running into a bear bait, or checking traps, that's another great use for it while wearing a back/framepack, but it's not ideal for the OP's intended purpose, where he's asking for 2 separate things... but I had to share. And, of course, the more ish you stuff into it, the more strain on your neck/back by the end of the day. I would be absolutely lying to say that it's perfect and stays put at all times, but it doesn't. Less gear might make it better, but I just have to have some things up front, rather than stowed.

That said, I have seen a lot of guys run a lot of setups and I still am not convinced many of them are practical from an accessibility perspective, nor comfortable. Some, yea, but not all. One that stands out in my mind is the gunfighter style (a few different versions out there now) under a dedicated bino harness. The position of the grip needed to be adjusted a bit for smoothness of draw, but I have seen where guys have simply added some foam/padding to the backing on the kydex against their chest to get the angle right. I'll reserve judgement as best I can until I do some more digging and test some out. I love the idea of the Diamond D, if it can realistically be worn with a bino harness and a pack with a substantial hip belt.

Intrigued to see what others have to contribute that hasn't already been discussed here or elsewhere.