Chipotle bacon sausage

for many years it was a struggle to get my wife to eat moose. This is one of the better sausage recipes I found that she really enjoyed. It is always getting fine tuned, this is where I am at now

3 pounds moose
2 pounds bacon
10-15 garlic cloves, minced up
2 tbsp salt
2-3 tbsp of ground chipotle chilli pepper powder
1-2 tsp cumin
1.5-2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp liquid smoke if not smoking them
1-2 tsp ground allspice
1.5 cups of curly parsley chopped up
1-2 large onions (my food processor makes onion juice)
1 pound extra old cheddar cut into 1/2” cubes

mix all ingredients together except the cheese and put through the grinder, we like coarse grind but whatever suits your fancy. Once ground mix in the cheese cubes. We found we liked the bite of cheese when eating them. If you shred the cheese and mix it in there is a good cheese flavor, we just like the chunks
once mixed case it up in standard hog casings. hang for a couple hours if you can or leave out to dry, get a pin and poke the air pockets and the casing will shrink up tight and look almost professional like 👍.
Smoke for 2-3 hours, or they are also amazing over the open fire with a cold one. Watch for the cheese after cooking, it can blister the inside of your mouth and ruin the weekend.

enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
northernmadman
Do you mean 10-15 garlic cloves? I love garlic, but 10-15 bulbs in 5lbs of meat would probably put me in the dog house...
Ha ha, you’re absolutely right! That would protect you from vampires though

yes, I meant cloves and I will try to change that. Thanks for the catch

OP
northernmadman
Usually it's just an extra old Cheddar. If the temperature is right I find the cheese gets soft and melted but it won't leak out of the casings. I usually smoke them for 3-5 hours at 160, then finish them off at 225 until an internal temp of 140f. This way my casings shrink up a bit but don't burst and Crack open.

1710790612222.png

robtattoo

WKR
What do you use for cheese that does not melt when it is being smoked?

If you pre-cube your cheese ahead of time & let it air dry, uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours, or until it has that 'dry-cracked-I-don't-wanna-eat-it' look, it'll hold its shape & retain all its flavor. Use the best cheese you can find, because you WILL taste it.
Unlike high temp stuff, that all tastes like Vaseline. 😃

I've been doing that with summer sausage for a couple of years & the difference is night & day.

Huckelfin

FNG
Usually it's just an extra old Cheddar. If the temperature is right I find the cheese gets soft and melted but it won't leak out of the casings. I usually smoke them for 3-5 hours at 160, then finish them off at 225 until an internal temp of 140f. This way my casings shrink up a bit but don't burst and Crack open.

View attachment 688846
Looks awesome!
If you pre-cube your cheese ahead of time & let it air dry, uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours, or until it has that 'dry-cracked-I-don't-wanna-eat-it' look, it'll hold its shape & retain all its flavor. Use the best cheese you can find, because you WILL taste it.
Unlike high temp stuff, that all tastes like Vaseline. 😃

I've been doing that with summer sausage for a couple of years & the difference is night & day.
Cool, thanks a bunch! Agreed on the fake tasting high temp garbage..

robtattoo

WKR
for many years it was a struggle to get my wife to eat moose. This is one of the better sausage recipes I found that she really enjoyed. It is always getting fine tuned, this is where I am at now

3 pounds moose
2 pounds bacon
10-15 garlic cloves, minced up
2 tbsp salt
2-3 tbsp of ground chipotle chilli pepper powder
1-2 tsp cumin
1.5-2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp liquid smoke if not smoking them
1-2 tsp ground allspice
1.5 cups of curly parsley chopped up
1-2 large onions (my food processor makes onion juice)
1 pound extra old cheddar cut into 1/2” cubes

mix all ingredients together except the cheese and put through the grinder, we like coarse grind but whatever suits your fancy. Once ground mix in the cheese cubes. We found we liked the bite of cheese when eating them. If you shred the cheese and mix it in there is a good cheese flavor, we just like the chunks
once mixed case it up in standard hog casings. hang for a couple hours if you can or leave out to dry, get a pin and poke the air pockets and the casing will shrink up tight and look almost professional like 👍.
Smoke for 2-3 hours, or they are also amazing over the open fire with a cold one. Watch for the cheese after cooking, it can blister the inside of your mouth and ruin the weekend.

enjoy.

I'm also stealing the hell out of this. I'm not normally one for using recipes, but this sounds amazing to me.
Not too many mooseses around Tennessee, I'm thinking really lean beef (Eye of Round?) would make a reasonable substitute? Maybe?
I've only had meese meat the once, so I'm not sure how it compares to whitetail/elk/beef.

OP
northernmadman
Yes, it's also pretty darn good over the open fire pit in the backyard. Works in chili, cut into chunks after cooking and add. Works as burger patties if you remove the casing or just bag it when making it.
Sausage, eggs, and beans in the morning. Pretty versatile and delicious. 😋