Chiropractor treatment

JjamesIII

WKR
I’ve done construction my whole life and it’s finally taking its toll. C4-6 have facet and uncenate joint hupertrophy, which I believe is French for bone spurs. Then a complex bulge of the thecal sac. Among a list of other things found in the MRI

If any docs read this, would a chiropractor be a good addition to my treatment plan, in addition to physical therapy? I’ve heard people swear by them for lumbar issues, but this is upper back/cervical spine.

So far, months of staying away from archery and using a tens device has slowly made minor improvements. It’s frustrating, but I’m trying not to do surgery, if at all possible. The pain is now manageable, but left arm weakness is still very much an issue. I want to be able to archery hunt next year, but I’d hate to spend money/draw a tag and not physically be capable of drawing my bow when the season starts

I ended up buying a crossbow to hunt Ohio. I hate the thing, and I know most western states probably don’t allow them.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big believer in Chiropractors. My strong suggestion though is, if you do start going to a Chiropractor, go to one where you can get a massage from a massage therapist covered on your insurance. And use it on a monthly basis. Get the deep tissue massage therapy every time in addition to adjustments. ITs soooo worth it. And its cool because it should be covered under insurance. Just my $0.02.

JPD350

WKR
When I was young I rode bareback broncs and was in residential construction for 35 years. My upper back got jacked up from broncs while young and I spent 20 + years having chiropractors suck the life out of my insurance and make me think I needed to keep coming back but the issues never really went away and I just worked my whole career thru all the pains going to a chiro.
Fast forward to about 6 years ago when I rolled an ATV on myself and broke my lower back, I spent the summer in a brace and afterwards did all the rehab. The brace and the rehab actually helped a bunch for all my old injuries. What I learned was that Chiros do have a place sometimes but the real things that worked for me is physically making my muscles stronger and balanced from head to toe, doing some yoga exercises, using a 6" roller to take tension out and the last but big thing was using a qualified massage lady. Now there are massage people and there are massage people who are medical quality, you want the latter.
It's a damm shame that massage isn't accepted by insurance or at least my ins doesn't cover it.

For your bow shooting you need to get stretch bands and slowly work those bow muscles into shape after you get all the other muscles stronger.

Last edited:

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
I believe chiropractic has a place in your care plan but the HUGE red flag for me you mentioned was weakness in your arm. That’s a direct sign you’ve got nerve impengment from a herniated disc.

I had the same thing happen with a massively herniated disc at C6/C7 crushing the nerve root to my right tricep and effectively shutting off that arm. I went in to a chiropractor and he immediately ordered an MRI. That’s when I realized the damage done. Had surgery 2 weeks later for a cervical arthroplasty with (artificial) disc replacement.

Last edited:

lak2004

WKR
If look into both chiro and acupuncture. I've had great luck with both for back and knee issues

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
When I was young I rode bareback broncs and was in residential construction for 35 years. My upper back got jacked up from broncs while young and I spent 20 + years having chiropractors suck the life out of my insurance and make me think I needed to keep coming back but the issues never really went away and I just worked my whole career thru all the pains going to a chiro.
Fast forward to about 6 years ago when I rolled an ATV on myself and broke my lower back, I spent the summer in a brace and afterwards did all the rehab. The brace and the rehab actually helped a bunch for all my old injuries. What I learned was that Chiros do have a place sometimes but the real things that worked for me is physically making my muscles stronger and balanced from head to toe, doing some yoga exercises, using a 6" roller to take tension out and the last but big thing was using a qualified massage lady. Now there are massage people and there are massage people who are medical quality, you want the latter.
It's a damm shame that massage isn't accepted by insurance or at least my ins doesn't cover it.

For your bow shooting you need to get stretch bands and slowly work those bow muscles into shape after you get all the other muscles stronger.

After my consultation with the physical therapist, I’m hoping to get some idea of how hard I can push the back. That’s where I’m always too impatient with recovery, I don’t want to prolong this situation by jumping into pt too hard.

I’m a big believer in yoga, it saved my lower back. I didn’t go down the rabbit hole with the “spiritual side” of it or do formal classes. I just went on YouTube and watched some hot chick in yoga pants for 30 minutes a day. After a month, I noticed big improvements, two months later, I was back to normal.

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
I believe chiropractic has a place in your care plan but the HUGE red flag for me you mentioned was weakness in your arm. That’s a direct sign you’ve got nerve impegement from a herniated disc.

I had the same thing happen with a massively herniated disc at C6/C7 crushing the nerve root to my right tricep and effectively shutting off that arm. I went in to a chiropractor and he immediately ordered an MRI. That’s when I realized the damage done. Had surgery 2 weeks later for a cervical arthroplasty with (artificial) disc replacement.
Was the procedure a success for you? That’s exactly the area that I’m having problems with, symptoms also sound familiar. I know for a fact, that the nerves are being impinged. It radiates down to the tricep and forearm. It’s like the tri just became weakened in the course of a few days. Starting with tingling sensation, then progressing to pain and numb areas. They did neuropathy test to find which areas are being afflicted (not a pleasant experience unless you like needles and electricity).

It’s getting better slowly on its own. That’s why I’m putting off surgery. I think personally, going under the knife is only an option after all other treatments have been exhausted. In the end, it may be the path I need to go down however.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had two ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion) procedures for C5-C6 and then two years later C6-C7. Both surgeries were very successful. Had some discomfort for the first 24 hours, but after that no big deal.

I agree with what @trueat1stlight said about weakness in the arm. Go see a neurosurgeon (if you haven’t already).

I might be using the wrong terms in explanation, but if the vertebrae in your spine are misaligned, they don't have even space on each side. The side that is 'narrower' will pinch on the nerve. It's possible for the Chiropractor to realign the spine with manipulation (adjustments). You might get relief after just one manipulation, or it could take several visits. I know it worked for me. I was having horrible spams in lower back, x-rays showed L4 and L5 were out of alignment and pinching on the nerve. I now go for an adjustment every two to three weeks.

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
I’ve had two ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion) procedures for C5-C6 and then two years later C6-C7. Both surgeries were very successful. Had some discomfort for the first 24 hours, but after that no big deal.

I agree with what @trueat1stlight said about weakness in the arm. Go see a neurosurgeon (if you haven’t already).
With fusions of two areas in the cervical spine, is your flexibility hindered? Any limitations to what you can do? I’m an active person- run, bike, hike, climb…. list goes on.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
Was the procedure a success for you? That’s exactly the area that I’m having problems with, symptoms also sound familiar. I know for a fact, that the nerves are being impinged. It radiates down to the tricep and forearm. It’s like the tri just became weakened in the course of a few days. Starting with tingling sensation, then progressing to pain and numb areas. They did neuropathy test to find which areas are being afflicted (not a pleasant experience unless you like needles and electricity).

It’s getting better slowly on its own. That’s why I’m putting off surgery. I think personally, going under the knife is only an option after all other treatments have been exhausted. In the end, it may be the path I need to go down however.
Yes, my procedure was successful. About 3 weeks leading up to surgery I had 10/10 pain in my upper right back, shoulder and tricep but my greatest concern was my tricep was non-functioning. I was so weak I couldn’t push my hand into my pocket or reach behind me and close an interior door.

The few years leading up to my emergent surgery I was experiencing numbness in my right ringer finger and pinky, and slightly up my forearm. I never really gave it much thought but then lifting a heavy grill up my steps helping a delivery guy, I must have finally fully herniated the disc and the next day was in terrible pain.

The chiropractor I was seeing immediately suspected nerve impingement and referred me to a neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon said with the sudden and profound onset of weakness in my tricep, if I didn’t have surgery immediately I’d likely suffer irreversible nerve damage and an atrophied tricep for life. I consulted with him on a Thursday and had surgery the following Wednesday.

Recovery was very difficult for me and took almost 2 years with a full year of physical therapy then another few months in year 2. I’m nearly 6 years in and mostly pain free but still with a bit of localized neck pain I’ll likely always have. My mobility in my neck is 100% and I have most of the strength back in my tricep.

I can’t draw a bow worth a shit any more, nor can I swing a golf club without pain, but otherwise I am back to leading an active life. I hauled a 60+ lb pack of mule deer out of the mountains over the fall and felt no worse for the wear the next day. I certainly know my limitations now and think through a lot about how I’m lifting “smartly.”

I don’t share all this to stand out for attention, rather to give a first-hand account of what to expect should your case present as mine did. It doesn’t sound like yours is nearly as extreme, however the neurosurgeon explained that my disc after slight herniation years’ back was like “a wet paper bag that then dries extemely weak. Any future pressure on the disc and it will completely herniate, crushing the nerve root.”

Thank you for listening to my uplifting Ted Talk. I’ll take any questions in the lobby over cocktail hour.

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve have had L4 issues for a long time, herniated and bulging disc. I used a few chiropractors with ok results. My life changed when I bought an inversion table. I hang on it every morning for a few minutes. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
Yes, my procedure was successful. About 3 weeks leading up to surgery I had 10/10 pain in my upper right back, shoulder and tricep but my greatest concern was my tricep was non-functioning. I was so weak I couldn’t push my hand into my pocket or reach behind me and close an interior door.

The few years leading up to my emergent surgery I was experiencing numbness in my right ringer finger and pinky, and slightly up my forearm. I never really gave it much thought but then lifting a heavy grill up my steps helping a delivery guy, I must have finally fully herniated the disc and the next day was in terrible pain.

The chiropractor I was seeing immediately suspected nerve impingement and referred me to a neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon said with the sudden and profound onset of weakness in my tricep, if I didn’t have surgery immediately I’d likely suffer irreversible nerve damage and an atrophied tricep for life. I consulted with him on a Thursday and had surgery the following Wednesday.

Recovery was very difficult for me and took almost 2 years with a full year of physical therapy then another few months in year 2. I’m nearly 6 years in and mostly pain free but still with a bit of localized neck pain I’ll likely always have. My mobility in my neck is 100% and I have most of the strength back in my tricep.

I can’t draw a bow worth a shit any more, nor can I swing a golf club without pain, but otherwise I am back to leading an active life. I hauled a 60+ lb pack of mule deer out of the mountains over the fall and felt no worse for the wear the next day. I certainly know my limitations now and think through a lot about how I’m lifting “smartly.”

I don’t share all this to stand out for attention, rather to give a first-hand account of what to expect should your case present as mine did. It doesn’t sound like yours is nearly as extreme, however the neurosurgeon explained that my disc after slight herniation years’ back was like “a wet paper bag that then dries extemely weak. Any future pressure on the disc and it will completely herniate, crushing the nerve root.”

Thank you for listening to my uplifting Ted Talk. I’ll take any questions in the lobby over cocktail hour.
No, I totally appreciate you sharing your experience. It does sound like yours was more severe than where I’m at. The tricep atrophy is what has me most concerned. I’m glad you’re on the mend. It would suck if I’m out of the archery game. That’s been a big part of my life since I was a kid.

I used to get a lot of chiropractic treatments, and in many ways, I am pretty indifferent about it. The problem is, there are MANY chiropractors who have limited knowledge of disc issues and just run through the snap, crack, pop, pay me and go routine. I will say that if you are having significant disc issues, I firmly believe that the wrong chiropractor could make it worse.

I had L4/L5 surgery, which I am not saying was caused by a chiropractor, but I will say that I stopped seeing chiropractors after surgery because I found PT and home exercise to be far more effective. Looking back, chiropractic really didn't do anything for me.

I do back exercises, flexibility exercises, PT exercises, and I really don't feel any need for a chiropractor or the associated risk of having a disc irritated.

lak2004

WKR
Good point. If you can find a chiro that used to do PT or sports medicine, you would be better served in my opinion. My wife, myself and even our young son (has gone since he was a few months old) go to a chiropractor that does a technique called TRT torque release technique. Do they make a bunch of money and try to get you on a plan? Yep. But they have helped each of us and especially my wife who had serious neck issues. We've both tried other options and between chiropractic and acupuncture, they have really helped. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

BadDogPSD

WKR
I used to get a lot of chiropractic treatments, and in many ways, I am pretty indifferent about it. The problem is, there are MANY chiropractors who have limited knowledge of disc issues and just run through the snap, crack, pop, pay me and go routine. I will say that if you are having significant disc issues, I firmly believe that the wrong chiropractor could make it worse.

I had L4/L5 surgery, which I am not saying was caused by a chiropractor, but I will say that I stopped seeing chiropractors after surgery because I found PT and home exercise to be far more effective. Looking back, chiropractic really didn't do anything for me.

I do back exercises, flexibility exercises, PT exercises, and I really don't feel any need for a chiropractor or the associated risk of having a disc irritated.
My experience was very similar. My only regret was waiting 12 years from the injury date to when I finally had surgery.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I never had any luck with them, but I only used them a few times. My wife on the other hand went to regular visits for a few months. That is when I start calling them, feel good Dr. My wife would come back from a treatment and I would ask, how do you feel, she would say I feel good. that usually lasted until the next day. Then back to the feel good Dr. Never solved her problem, but she would feel good for a few hrs.