Choice between two scopes

Mildot

FNG
I picked up a stainless Tikka T3X in .223 and ordered another in .308

These will probably the last rifles I buy at my age and am setting them up exactly the same.

The .223 has Mountain Tactical bottom metal, recoil lug and action screws and will set the .308 up the same way.

Originally I was going to install Leupold VX-3HD scopes on both of them in the Leupold Backcountry one piece rings/bases. I currently have [3] Leupold Freedom 3-9x40 rimfires on a Ruger 10/22 LVT and [2] CZ 457's and a VX-5HD 3-15x44 on my Bergara B14-HMR in .308. I have owned several Leupold scopes over the years and never had trouble with any of them except for a Gold Ring 12-40x60 spotting scope 30 years ago that had glass dust inside it and the light would make it "sparkle". They replaced it and all was good.

I also have [3] Trijicon Credo 1-6's on my AR's and they have been great.

After spending some time reading about scopes on the forum it seems like Leupolds recent reliability might be in question.

Since I only want to do this once would the Trijicon Huron be a better choice than the Leupold VX-3HD, reliability and quality wise? Not looking at any other scopes.

As far as mounting, I have used Talley one piece mounts on several rifles and never had any issues but want something better, quality and looks wise on these rifles. Not interested in the Sportsmatch rings every one seems to like. Are the Leupold Backcountry mounts GTG or should I get the DNZ Game reaper 2's?

Thanks, Mike

Unknown munitions rings are a better option than what you're considering. So are sportsmatch.

Between your two scopes I guess the trijicon, but I dunno how you got to where those are the only 2 options.

OP
M

Mildot

FNG
Thanks for the reply. In my price range [$500 per scope], those are the two I have narrowed it down to.

TxLite

WKR
I’d get Trijicon before leupold. I know next to nothing about the Huron line, so I’d be looking at the credo, which has had a pretty good track record so far. If you can spend an extra $40 this is the route I’d go. There are several reticles available if the green MOA isn’t your thing.

I’d also look at the Sportsmatch rings in your budget like @ResearchinStuff mentioned. They’ve got a recoil lug that goes into the action to keep them from moving. What do you dislike about them?

Last edited:
OP
M

Mildot

FNG
Thanks,

I will take another look at the Sportsmatch rings. I think they just looked a little bulky to me. Maybe they look better in person. Would they be more durable / hold zero better the that then the Leupold or Gamekeeper 2's?

Was thinking the Huron line as I didn't really need an illuminated reticle.

Always had red on my dot sights and in my Credo's, ever tried a green reticle.

Thanks

sndmn11

WKR
I know there are reasons for the integrated ring/mounts from sportsmatch, Talley, Unknown Munitions, Hawkins, deadnutz, Leupold, and warne.

It is worth some consideration for a picatinny rail and rings. I think the positives for doing so are increased versatility in being able to make scope's around from rifle to rifle, easy isolation of variables when something goes wonky, and possibly the opportunity to buy fewer scope's of better quality rather than a scope for every rifle.

OP
M

Mildot

FNG
Something to think about. On my Bergara I have a Seekins rail and rings. They are really nice and solid.

My thinking on these two rifles was streamlined looks. Maybe I need to quit worrying about that.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Would they be more durable / hold zero better the that then the Leupold or Gamekeeper 2's?

Absolutely. Think about it critically. You have an integrated, machined in rail on the action and instead using that you want to use 4x dinky screws to stop movement of the scope. Yes, it can and will work, but it is a compromise and will show far more issues in aggregate than using the integral rail.

Sportsmatch or UM Tikka rings are the answer for T3’s.

As for scopes, that pretty easy to see where I fall on that line. If the lowest probability in loss of zero is desired, the Leupold shouldn’t be in the running. I have not used the Huron nor the 3-9x Credo enough to say definitively, however Trijicon hunting scopes have a far better track record than most others.

Those omit the major advantages of sportsmatch. They are both pieces of metal with holes in them, that's about it for similarities.

I have several of the Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 scopes. I don't know about long term durability and impact resistance, but they are excellent in every other way. They have much better eye relief than the Hurons, and that matters to most people. The illumination control is perfect. No washout on the lowest setting. 30 bucks more than your budget, but well worth it. EDIT: Natchez is running 10% off right now, so that puts them right on budget for you. https://www.natchezss.com/optics/ri...e-sfp-riflescope-w-green-mil-square-tr2900042

Last edited: