Christensen Arms Mesa Stock Replacement

TheViking

WKR
Don’t love the factory stock on my Christensen Arms Mesa. Also, wouldn’t mind shaving off 6-8oz of my setup. Factory stock is around 34oz.

It’s a 300 WM so long action.

Best options for replacement? I’ve looked at Manners, Mesa Precision, and Greyboe. All look nice, leaning towards Manners.

Would love to hear opinions and potentially other options.

idahodave

WKR
Look at Stocky’s Carbon Fiber. Can be found on sale for less than $500, and weigh in at under 24 ounces. I previously posted about this if you want to look it up in greater detail.

dave

OMB

WKR
I'm sort of interested if they're going to sell their new FFT stock as a standalone at some point. Guessing they won't do it off the bat, but if they offered one for say, under $500, I'd jump on one in a heartbeat to restock my Ridgeline and get it down under 8 pounds scoped.

lintond

WKR
I just got a Ridgeline and I'm looking at replacing its stock with the Altitude from Mesa Precision.

This is what I did and have really liked it. They didn’t get the bolt release inlet correct but I just dremelled it instead of dealing with returning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheViking

TheViking

WKR
This is what I did and have really liked it. They didn’t get the bolt release inlet correct but I just dremelled it instead of dealing with returning.

I’ve heard this a few times now…pretty concerning after dropping $700.

archp625

WKR
I didn't love that color to be honest but the stock was great. I just got another EH1 on Tuesday from manners in Tommy Bahama.

I do not have any experience with the EH-2. I haven't held one either. Looks like the grip isn't as vertical. I dont think you could go wrong with it. The new LRH looks awesome as well.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
You'll have to be cognizant of many stocks that will "fit" the Christensen due to it being a Rem 700 footprint, but when the stockmaker says that, they haven't taken into account the side bolt release mentioned above. I ran into that issue when I was messing around with my Mesa and tried putting it into a couple Rem 700 footprint stocks from Grayboe and Stockys/AG. A little dremel action, and you should be right as rain.

The new Christensen FFT stocks (which I'm pretty sure they'll offer as standalone products in the near future) is probably your best bet. But the others mentioned above obviously have their merits, too.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I just recently received my stock from AG Composites. Milling is precise and my bottom metal fits like a glove. Don’t have my receiver/barrel back from the gunsmith yet to check the fit there. It weights right at 27 oz as advertised. Very comparable in quality to my friends Manners stocks (he has a few to compare). Excellent customer service, even had a nice lady call me to tell
me they were shipping it earlier than expected.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider

Where did you send the rifle to have the stock replaced?

Lawnboi

WKR
I restocked a Mesa. Couple things to point out.

-I did an eh1, it requires a bolt release knotch. Bottom metal was goofy and mag box and screws had to be shortened. If your worried about filing an ejection port or bolt release or handle notch send it to a professional, mag box and screw length can be a big deal in a Remington footprint as well. It’s not all plug and play.

-Think long and hard about replacing a stock in a 1300 dollar rifle with a thousand dollar stock. It was not worth it to me to invest in the clunky Christensen arms action. Good news is I ended up using the stock for another build.

Had the same issue putting a Ridgeline into a Altitude. Contacted Mesa and they said use a nail file. Wife picked up $2 nail file at the grocery store. Took me no more than 60 seconds to file it down for proper clearance.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
If CA does end up offering the FFT stand alone, what are the chances of being able to drop something like a Defiance AnTi in it?

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
If CA does end up offering the FFT stand alone, what are the chances of being able to drop something like a Defiance AnTi in it?
I think the issue will be bottom metal. The inlet for the FFT stock will be for Christensen bottom metal, which I believe is longer/narrower than standard BDL bottom metal. When I tried putting my Mesa barreled action in a Grayboe stock, the Christensen bottom metal didn't fit, either. Just like w/ the bolt release, however, a little Dremel action, and you would be good.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Don’t love the factory stock on my Christensen Arms Mesa. Also, wouldn’t mind shaving off 6-8oz of my setup. Factory stock is around 34oz.

It’s a 300 WM so long action.

Best options for replacement? I’ve looked at Manners, Mesa Precision, and Greyboe. All look nice, leaning towards Manners.

Would love to hear opinions and potentially other options.
If you don't want to deal with the bolt release issue, bottom metal fitment, or bedding then you can get yourself a chassis... They only weigh 28 oz too so you will be saving some weight.