Christensen Rifles & the .284 175gr ELD-X

MOBowkill

FNG
Is anyone shooting the 175gr from their 7mm Christensen rifles?

I recently picked up some 175gr ELD-X bullets to load for my Classic Carbon. Since then I’ve done a little bit of reading and I’m thinking maybe I’ve made a bad choice but I’d thought check to see if anyone here has any first hand experience with them in the Classic or Ridgeline rifles.

axeforce6

WKR
What do you mean bad choice? You should shoot them and find out for yourself. You can’t determine how your rifle will perform with a bullet based on everyone else’s opinion. Go through your normal load work up process and see how they do.

Guessing your concerned with twist rate and maybe throat and magazine length?

Looks like bullets list 1:8.5 and rifle is probably 1:9. You can calculate stability in some of the ballistic apps and dedicated stability apps.
It all depends on density altitude and velocity when your shooting as to if they will fly well.

Super tag

WKR
My Christensen 7mm loves the 168 VLD and I’ve tried heavier bullets but haven’t had the same results, the 168gr is the sweet spot, I don’t have any issues with length, Load 0.10 off lands, shoots sub 1/2”

OP
M

MOBowkill

FNG
I used the twist rate calculator on Berger’s site for the OAL of the ELD-X and it was marginally stable. It gets better with higher altitude and warmer temperatures. I figured 2800fps which is at the top end of velocity.

OP
M

MOBowkill

FNG
When I calculated the 175gr Sierra Game King it’s very stable no matter temp or altitude, shorter bullet makes a difference.

Yes, bullet length drives the need for RPM’s. Thinner air needs less and thicker needs more.
Might shoot well with marginal stability, but will likely reduce BC.

Like one of the guys suggested. Shoot and see.