Christiansen Classic Carbon 300WSM

KHNC

WKR
Got my safe queen out to the range yesterday. CA Classic Carbon 300WSM
This rifle was a tack driver when I first bought it. Last time I shot it , accuracy was shit. Put it back in the safe, thinking it was my Vortex 6-24 HSLR scope that was the issue. Yesterday I shot the below scattergun group at 100yds and still thought it must be the scope that went to hell. As an after thought, I decided to clean the gun again. It had only had 42 rounds thru it since the last cleaning. The lower 3 shot group was the result. Im using 165gr Barnes TSX Fed Premium Ammo. I can only assume the copper fouling is a big issue with this ammo and this barrel. I have always liked Barnes ammo and have never had this issue in any of my other rifles. Now that I know it requires regular cleaning, I will keep that taken care of . Still a damn accurate rifle, just seems pretty finicky. I have never used lead ammo in this rifle to see if the issues would be the same. Im just glad i dont have to buy a new scope to solve it. If i do buy a new scope, it will be because I want to instead of having to do it.

Before.jpg
After.jpg

West2East

FNG
Interesting, I had the same thing happen in my M70 300WSM. Rifle shooting consistent 1MOA for about 60ish rnds and all the sudden out to 4-5MOA. Cleaned it and it went sub MOA 5 rd groups. Some rifles like to be on the clean side...

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Interesting, I had the same thing happen in my M70 300WSM. Rifle shooting consistent 1MOA for about 60ish rnds and all the sudden out to 4-5MOA. Cleaned it and it went sub MOA 5 rd groups. Some rifles like to be on the clean side...
Well its good to know its not just my rifle that acts like that then. I will definitely be keeping it cleaned.

I have a ridgeline in .308 win that’s the exact same way. 50 or so rounds and it’s like someone hit a switch and the groups open up. Clean it and it’s a lazor again. I keep hoping it’ll break in and the cleaning regimen will lengthen. Probably 500+ rounds on it now and it hasn’t changed? I primarily shoot reloads with 178gr eldm and varget.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
I have a ridgeline in .308 win that’s the exact same way. 50 or so rounds and it’s like someone hit a switch and the groups open up. Clean it and it’s a lazor again. I keep hoping it’ll break in and the cleaning regimen will lengthen. Probably 500+ rounds on it now and it hasn’t changed? I primarily shoot reloads with 178gr eldm and varget.
Wow, thats really interesting. I guess it doesnt matter whether its factory loads or not then. Good to know its a thing now anyway. I will probably never get to 500 rds on mine. I am a bowhunter primarily and do not shoot a ton of rounds with the big rifles. I like to practice with my .17 most of the time. Recoil is near nothing on my 300WSM with a can and brake, so I can practice with the small caliber and i feel i still benefit.

I had the same issue with my Ridgeline 300 PRC. Would shoot 1” ish groups for about 15-20 rounds and then would shift. Oddly enough, it would still group sub moa just not where it should be. Usually like 2” higher than my zero. At first I thought it was my scope so I switched scopes and had the same issue. So, I decided to deep clean it. Ran probably close to 50 patches through it then went and shot it and the gun surprised me thoroughly. .195” 3-Shot group at 100 yards and then later on a 3.1” group at 500 yards. So now, I deep clean the rifle after every range session and it shoots lights out. I think having a suppressor on it definitely makes it get to the point of bad accuracy quicker than if I didn’t have a suppressor but the groups are much better when it’s clean and with the suppressor.
IMG_6407.jpegIMG_6772.jpeg