Chrono or Kestrel

What's a better investment for developing a good dope chart to 800? Want to be able to be hunt ethically with all of them is the real goal.

Or can I see which ammo the gun shoots decent groups at 100, use the factory velocity and BC, get close with a couple shots at 500, dial the scope in to connect and adjust the velocity in ballistic calculator to match? Will that updated dope allow for ethically accurate dope while hunting when I adjust altitude, temp, etc in the ballistic calculator? Is a chrono or kestrel more value added towards reliable dope?

A Magneto V3 chrono or a Kestrel? I'll be shooting a fair amount this year and will field verify on steel.

Shooting a Tiika 223, 7RM and an old Mauser .06. Developing dope charts for all with factory ammo.

Much appreciate the help

Factory ammo, and true the data with the kestrel.

Once your data is set, it will take all environmentals into account when you’re hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Both. I want to know my velocity as a baseline. A Kestrel will give you the environmentals needed to make a solid ballistics chart. The further you shoot the more important the environmentals become. Plus you'll need the data to build a chart at various elevations.

Reactions: XLR

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both great tools but since you are asking.........kestrel hands down.
It does way more than a chrono does and it sounds like you've kinda answered your own question. I've got the 5700 and it does everything I need for validation and creating a ballistic dope chart.
And you can see how cold it is when you are freezing your ass off......😉

Randy

It's sure nice having a no shit actual MV to avoid tweaking the wrong variables to match up on solution. You can get actual environmentals with a lot cheaper gear than a AB kestrel. It does seem like the AB custom bullet curves should make it pretty easy to back into a MV most of the time though.

You can back into a correct solution a number of ways but most guys without experience dealing with it can also end up chasing their tail!

You also need to know what your real scope adjustments are.

Wrench

WKR
Kestrel will let you back validate your trajectory, but your chronograph will not predict accurate environmentals nor run on a single battery.

OP
R
What are common environmental conditions/ wind meters that are more affordable? Just use ballistic phone apps?

Wrench

WKR
What are common environmental conditions/ wind meters that are more affordable? Just use ballistic phone apps?
Don't try to save money on the kestrel. You'll want AB installed on it because it's worth it. You can use a simple wind meter/annometer, temp thermistor and a compass/inclinometer in conjunction with a rangefinder and a ballistics program....but you're looking at a minute if you're good to collect and solve for the shot. A kestrel with AB and link will do all of that plus more and with better results in about 1.5 seconds.

Don't try to save money on the kestrel. You'll want AB installed on it because it's worth it. You can use a simple wind meter/annometer, temp thermistor and a compass/inclinometer in conjunction with a rangefinder and a ballistics program....but you're looking at a minute if you're good to collect and solve for the shot. A kestrel with AB and link will do all of that plus more and with better results in about 1.5 seconds.
Which model?

Txswift

FNG
Kestrel all day long. Like said above I personally have a kestrel and split the cost of a crono with a few buddies