Chugach vs Yukon vs Kutana storm shell vs Axis

So I’m probably going to pick up one of these. I hunt in mostly drier climates but may need temporary rain/ or rare snow protection from time to time. I probably will make it up to Alaska in the next 5 years but can buy more gear before I do and I know I will need more pieces by then.

currently have
-145 zip
-240 hoodie- slightly snug can wear 145 under or vest over
-Ultra down vest
-Chinook soft shell- though a little snug and can only layer base layer under

Bump79

WKR
I picked up a Kuiu Chugach NX out of the outlet not long ago. Very impressed with it so far. I can't believe how breathable it is, it stretches well and is reasonably quiet for it not being a brushed face. Seems to keep me dry but I haven't had extended time out in the woods with it.

I will say it's pretty tight on the arms. I got a large and I'm 5'11" 190# 33" waist athletic build.

I've got friends with the Yukon and it's a lot heavier duty, a little less flexible and louder.

For drier environments a soft shell is more versatile. I have both a Kryptek Dalibor and Kuiu Kutana (not rain jacket). Works well at blocking the wind, shedding light rain, and hold up against some brush busting.

I have the Chugach and love it. Never used it outside of AK (not needed) and it is what I’ll be using on Kodiak in October. Have a 5 year old set of Kryptek Poseidon’s that have been used 3-4 times over that time period. This goes with me most places but mostly just sits in camp.

Recently grabbed the Axis and it may be going to Kodiak with me. Still figuring out the clothing list so I’ll need to see where I wind up.

I’d lean towards the soft shell now and then buying top shelf rain gear when required.

OP
A
How waterproof would you say the soft shell is in a downpour. Most of my hunting will be Texas, NM, and Wyo so all drier especially in the winter.

seems like it would have much more general purpose hunting use and would be very warm with a base layer /layers but be light enough to wear with a single base layer on just a cool day in the low 40s.

if I’m on a AK hunt in a couple of years it hopefully will mean that I’m doing well enough to buy as much for the kit as needed. Hopefully at least .

Your chinook soft shell is about the status quo for water resistance in a soft shell. I have one as well and hunted a lot of snowy days in it without concern but it wont hold up to rain. A softshell needs a pretty serious membrane like gore windstopper to hold up to any notable rain but even then it's not going to be "waterproof in a downpour". Most have a dwr that will wet out after a couple minutes in a mild rain and then you're wet.

schmalzy

WKR
I just ordered a set of chugach nx out of the outlet. I’ll report back when they arrive. Essentially 400 bucks for jacket and pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schmalzy

WKR
Just received my chugach nx set from the outlet. Just tried it on but pretty impressed out of the gate. 5’11, 185 34 waist. Ordered a large in both and felt both fit as they should. Large jacket allowed for a large current gen kenai underneath and felt like everything was cut/sized correctly. I have longer arms and it seemed just right. First time owning rain gear with stretch.

For me, I feel like it replaces the guide jacket in my lineup for most hunts. For rain gear it seemed “quiet”. Much more so than Arctryx beta AR, but I think those are two different jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk