Cimmaron vs. Absaroka ... Help me choose.

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
Was sold on a Cimarron but recently came across the Absaroka and now I'm torn and need help deciding between the two.

Last edited:
The Abrosaka could be pretty sweet. It looks to be a typical four sided mid but made with silpoly. The Cimarron is proven, and it’s a premium setup. Unless you’re dead set on silpoly I don’t see a compelling reason to not go with the Seek Outside.

Lawnboi

WKR
Seekoutside has more going for it than just an awesome shelter. US made and some of the best customer service. Stuff breaks on tents all the time, good when a company makes them in house and can repair IMO.

No experience with the other but figured I’d throw in my 2 cents on the cimmaron. Iv got a lot of nights in mine.

BROOKS5

FNG
Was sold on a Cimarron but recently came across the Absaroka and now I'm torn and need help deciding between the two.
I'm in the same boat but leaning towards the Absaroka the more reading I do about it. Did you you ever pick one or the other? How's it working out?

I had the same purchase dilemma (argali vs SO). Ended up buying an absaroka. Main selling point for me was the argali was lighter (~7oz lighter than the cimarron lt, ~11oz lighter than the regular cimarron). Note that my argali carbon pole weighed in right at 10oz which is 2oz lighter than the website states. All other weights were right on. Plus the option of removable stove jack for a little more modularity and ounce saving if not using a stove. SilPoly “no sag” is intriguing but I haven’t put it through the paces yet for a final verdict.

I’m still waiting to get one of the argali stoves when they come back in stock. Haven’t had my tent in the field yet just set up at home to seam seal. It was the easiest and quickest tent I’ve ever set up. Tent construction appears solid as well.

I’ve never had a Seek outside tent so can’t comment but I know they are well loved around here. Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

I chose to support Brad/Argali as I’ve appreciated some of the other stuff he’s put out. He’s also been active on this site helping people out with questions. Showing some love for an Idaho based company

BROOKS5

FNG
I had the same purchase dilemma (argali vs SO). Ended up buying an absaroka. Main selling point for me was the argali was lighter (~7oz lighter than the cimarron lt, ~11oz lighter than the regular cimarron). Note that my argali carbon pole weighed in right at 10oz which is 2oz lighter than the website states. All other weights were right on. Plus the option of removable stove jack for a little more modularity and ounce saving if not using a stove. SilPoly “no sag” is intriguing but I haven’t put it through the paces yet for a final verdict.

I’m still waiting to get one of the argali stoves when they come back in stock. Haven’t had my tent in the field yet just set up at home to seam seal. It was the easiest and quickest tent I’ve ever set up. Tent construction appears solid as well.

I’ve never had a Seek outside tent so can’t comment but I know they are well loved around here. Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

I chose to support Brad/Argali as I’ve appreciated some of the other stuff he’s put out. He’s also been active on this site helping people out with questions. Showing some love for an Idaho based company
How's the size seem in person? Can you see 3 guys being comfortable in there?

I’m 5’10” and it seemed super roomy to me. Without a stove, yes 3 people would be comfortable depending on how much gear you want inside. With a stove, 2 with gear max.

There are a few YouTube videos showing a full grown dude inside that give a good idea of size/footprint

ewade07

WKR
I switched from a Cimarron to the Argali Absaroka. The weight savings and packability is what did it for me. The Argali packs down smaller as well. Field tested it shed hunting this spring, palace for two guys. Havent ran it with a stove yet. The material is super light but not as tough as the Cimarron. I had a big wind storm collapse the tent and it caught on a rock and tore about 10" up the side wall. Put a patch on it and good to go.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I switched from a Cimarron to the Argali Absaroka. The weight savings and packability is what did it for me. The Argali packs down smaller as well. Field tested it shed hunting this spring, palace for two guys. Havent ran it with a stove yet. The material is super light but not as tough as the Cimarron. I had a big wind storm collapse the tent and it caught on a rock and tore about 10" up the side wall. Put a patch on it and good to go.
What caused the tent to collapse? Pole broke? Stakes pulled out? Did not have stakes topped with rocks? Only had the base staked and no additional guylines?

I am curiouse as I want to know if it was preventable or product failure... or you were in a tornado.

Choogiak

FNG
I am also curious about the collapse as I am hoping to use the absaroka on my sheep hunts in Alaska. Can get some big wind up high

ewade07

WKR
I am also curious about the collapse as I am hoping to use the absaroka on my sheep hunts in Alaska. Can get some big wind up high
Big nasty gusts. I’m talking like 60+ mph. The stakes were not rocked down either. I’ve had the same thing happen to me in a cimarron. I feel like if a big gust of wind gets up underneath a floorless shelter, no matter the brand, your in for it.

Dix0n9

FNG
For those of you that have the Absaroka, what sleeping configurations have you tried? I am leaning towards the absaroka because 95% of the time we will be 2 people plus stove. But in the rare instance that you would have to sleep three (with gear outside) I am wondering if it would be possible. Overall size looks like a C pattern could work but understood that you lose floor space with the tent wall angles.

I understand it would be tight but really don't want to buy a redcliff for the 5% of the time we might have to squeeze 3. Any recommendations?

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
We sleep two in the Absaroka with a SO SXL stove. You can put a third person in there at the foot-end of the other two if needed. Depending on the size of sleeping pads being used (long or extra long), it can be snug. With 3, there is a little room for equip but not large packs, etc...

Dix0n9

FNG
Thanks for the feedback! This is exactly the answer I was looking for.

We are going to Montana at the end of the week and for this trip we are running the SJK outpost 4 with a stove jack with 3 people. Its a lot of tent for only 2 people (typically how we hunt) and I am looking to upgrade to something more substantial. Might actually swing by Schnees on the way through and grab one before going in for the week as I am a little nervous about the sew job I did on the Outpost.