Class action suit against Bass Pro and their “lifetime warranty”

joestrow

WKR
This lawsuit makes me wonder if Bass Pro/Cabelas will ever change their tune about honoring their “lifetime” warranty on Meopta EuroHD binos.

Shoutout to the plaintiff/s for bringing the suit. I hope they knock the socks off Bass Pro (see what I did there?)

BTW Meopta as a company was great to deal with when I had issues with some binos. Wish Cabelas was the same way.

I don't know how to feel about this.

On one hand, they shouldn't have advertised it as "the last sock you'll ever need to buy"... that's on them.

On the other hand, you've got to be a real dumbass to expect a pair of socks to last you a lifetime. Its a wear item just like anything else. If you're only wearing them once or twice a year, hell you'll still lose them to deterioration before they wear out.

I've seen and heard of too many people abusing return policies/guarantees like this... and it always ends up with the rest of us losing due to the company eventually changing the policy because newsflash - its not profitable to let people rent stuff for free.

Just like Darn Tough socks, if I wear a pair out I'm not going to ask them to replace them unless its a abnormally short time period. Most of those socks I have years on - they're going to wear out and I'll pay to replace them. Same deal with guys returning tents they bought 10 years ago and have beat the shit out of... that's not a warranty issue, a lot of this stuff has an "expiration date" so to speak. The boots you bought 5 years ago and have worn the soles off of isn't a warranty issue - you wore the boots out!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Not a fan of Bass Pro, but this lawsuit is pretty stupid.

Of course, unconditional warranties on consumable products are also really stupid. I mean really, really stupid. This makes me wish Darn Tough would amend their warranty as I really like their socks and want them to stay in business.

If a company gives a lifetime warranty, they certainly did not offer it blindly. The purchase of such products is obviously a legally binding agreement, and such companies are well aware of that fact. Is it petty to wear a product out from use and hold or try to hold a company to their warranty agreement, perhaps it is. But I certainly do not feel sorry for them when it comes to such suits, as they are easily avoidable if they just stick to the warranty they set.

However, what I do see as a problem is people wearing products out, purchasing a new one, and repackaging their old one and returning it. I see this all the time as I have a liquidation store very close to my home. Obviously, many companies no longer check returned products, they just move them along to bulk auctions and view it as the price of business. In the meantime, us honest folks absorb the extra costs of such companies.

Rob5589

WKR
Fixed it for you
You know it's funny, I actually have some Redhead pants, shirts, and a jacket from at least 20+ years ago. No rips, pulled threads, busted zippers. They have faded over the years of umpteen washes but they're still 100% usable. Maybe their stuff was better then.

You know it's funny, I actually have some Redhead pants, shirts, and a jacket from at least 20+ years ago. No rips, pulled threads, busted zippers. They have faded over the years of umpteen washes but they're still 100% usable. Maybe their stuff was better then.
I have a pair of running socks from a defunct sporting goods store. I bought them just over 40 years ago that came with a lifetime warranty. They are still in great condition.

Charkan72

FNG
I have a love/hate relationship with Bass Pro/Cabelas. They used to have a higher percentage of quality gear than they do now for sure but the same could be said for every other store mostly. Kinda funny to see them get it stuck to them but people will abuse the system for sure.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Guys like this are the reason LL Bean had to drop their lifetime warranty. On the other hand (or foot) as a company you either are truthful in your advertising or you are not.

NB7

WKR
I think you're right. Pretty much seems all stuff made 20+ years ago lasted longer doesn't it?
Not Bass Pro stuff, but I had a few old t-shirts that finally gave up the ghost in the last few years, but that was after 10-12 years of wearing them. Since then it seems like every t-shirt I've bought in the last 5-6 years hardly lasts more than 2-3 years. My wife notices the same things about some of the clothing she buys. Fabric seems thinner or something and you really have to inspect what you're getting.

I took a pair of boots back that leaked and they told me that they would need to devalue the old ones and I would have to pay the difference minus the credit they gave me.

Little did they know that I didn't bring my wallet into the store and I was already wearing the new ones that I got from the back and I told them that if they wanted them they could feel free to take them off my feet.

The manager came over, looked down at the new ones on my feet and the old ones sitting on the counter, chuckled and said "your good to go sir"

I know how they roll. So I play hard ball. lol

Bottom line, their lifetime warranty is a freaking joke...

Honyock

WKR
The old Cabelas was flushed down the toilet when Bass Pro bought them. I honestly don't understand why anybody buys anything from either. Unless you are in a time crunch and can't wait on FedEx (or if you want to sign up for a free trip to Branson), you can find it way cheaper elsewhere.

nobody

WKR
While I think this guy is a bit of an idiot (just spend the money you're spending on the lawsuit on new socks instead, at least you'll have something to show for it afterwards), Bass Pro/Cabela's truly is a joke. I made my first purchase from them in about 6 years this week (redhead brand rain pants, needed them fast and they were cheap), and that was only after looking at many other options and trying to find another option. It's pretty depressing to walk into our local Cabela's and see the cheap trinkets dominating shelves with clueless people trying to "help" you out. Makes me feel like Ron Swanson at Lowes. Sportsman's Warehouse is getting just as bad around here. Big box stores are unfortunately ruining gear access. With the exception of Scheels (the one around here stole all the worthwhile, high value employees from Sportsman's and Cabela's), I rarely make a purchase at a large chain big box store anymore. Blackovis, GoHunt, Direct from MFGR (Stone Glacier, for example), mom and pop shops, and a small local chain called Al's Sporting Goods get my business. Big stores have ruined gear.

peterk123

WKR
I don't know how to feel about this.

On one hand, they shouldn't have advertised it as "the last sock you'll ever need to buy"... that's on them.

On the other hand, you've got to be a real dumbass to expect a pair of socks to last you a lifetime. Its a wear item just like anything else. If you're only wearing them once or twice a year, hell you'll still lose them to deterioration before they wear out.

I've seen and heard of too many people abusing return policies/guarantees like this... and it always ends up with the rest of us losing due to the company eventually changing the policy because newsflash - its not profitable to let people rent stuff for free.

Just like Darn Tough socks, if I wear a pair out I'm not going to ask them to replace them unless its a abnormally short time period. Most of those socks I have years on - they're going to wear out and I'll pay to replace them. Same deal with guys returning tents they bought 10 years ago and have beat the shit out of... that's not a warranty issue, a lot of this stuff has an "expiration date" so to speak. The boots you bought 5 years ago and have worn the soles off of isn't a warranty issue - you wore the boots out!
I disagree to a point. Those darn toughs are stupid expensive. You are buying for the warranty. And they market the warranty. 30 dollar pair of socks? Ya, send me another one.