Clean Brass

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I like my brass to be clean, not dirty or corroded. But what is the best way to accomplish this?

Currently I am using walnut media in a RCBS vibratory type machine. I find it takes a day or more to really get the process complete.

I have been reading about stainless steel pins. I think these would be quicker. Does anyone have experience with stainless steel?

Also looking at wet tumbler machine I find them rather expensive. I think a rock tumbling machine would work well at a third of the price. Has any one tried a rock tumbler? Thanks!

I use walnut media and see no need to change. If it’s taking you a day to get anywhere I would start with changing the media. I couldn’t tell you how many rounds I’ve ran thru mine, and have yet to change the media. Usually an hour in the tumbler and it’s good to go.

Stainless pins probably gets you cleaner, but it’s possibly messier. You gotta deal with the water, water spots on brass, drying your brass. If I was starting new, I’d go stainless. Currently, I’ll stay with my vibratory tumbler.

Jimbee

WKR
I've used a rock tumbler with ss pins. Works great, but you then need to dry your brass. I've cleaned and processed a pile of 223 range brass. It makes brass look shiny and new.

EdP

WKR
I have used a Thumbler's Tumbler A-R2 rock tumbler with walnut media to clean my brass for over 40 years. I love that replacement parts are still available, not that I have needed much over that time. New media does make it work faster than old media. I will put up to 20 rifle cases or 50 pistol cases in each barrel. 8 hours is usually enough even with media that has been used for a while. I have never used a vibratory tumbler so can't make a comparison. Dealing with wet cases sounds like a PITA especially in small batches. For large quantities perhaps it's no big deal to put the lot in an oven for a bit.

I think Pickettpuncher's recommendation to change out your media is spot on. At a minimum I would give that a try first. Walnut media is cheap.

deadwolf

WKR
I used a Lyman tumbler with walnut media then decided I really needed a wet media with tumbler and SS pins. Went right back to walnut after about a half dozen times using the wet and steel pins.

My time is worth more than the added steps, mess, and time spent using the pins. I do HATE having to get walnut out of flash holes though. Other than that it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buffybr

FNG
I have both a Thumbler's tumbler and a Frankford Arsenal vibratory tumblers.

For a while I used the SS pins in the Thumbler's, but ofter the pins would stick in .223, .22-250, and my .257 Ackley brass and would be difficult to get out.

Now I only use the FA vibratory tumbler. I first soak and shake the brass in a 48 oz plastic (Large Skippy PB) jar filled with water, a small squirt of Dial dish soap, and a 1/4 teaspoon of Lemi shine. I then rinse and dry the cases in direct sunlight or overnight in front a forced air heat vent. I usually vibrate them for 3 hours in walnut shell media with a used cloths drier sheet to absorb the dust. A very little squirt of FA liquid brass polish or car polish sometimes helps. DO NOT USE BRASSO BRASS POLISH!! It chemically weakens the brass.

EdP

WKR
I do HATE having to get walnut out of flash holes though.
Me too. That's why I tumble before sizing. I have ended up tossing some nice shiny cases due to necks cracking during sizing but it didn't cost me any time other than putting them in the tumbler.

deadwolf

WKR
Me too. That's why I tumble before sizing. I have ended up tossing some nice shiny cases due to necks cracking during sizing but it didn't cost me any time other than putting them in the tumbler.

Same. As soon as I de-prime the brass gets tumbled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
In jewelry making, tumbling with steel pins is used to work harden a piece. I have no experience with using them on brass. Annealing will probably be more important. Beyond Hornady one shot, FL resize, and trim I do nothing else to my brass; so I'm not really the guy to listen to.

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the feedback and new ideas. It looks like I will be sticking with the walmart media and trying some of the added steps mentioned.

I had purchased some once fired brass off gunbroker and it really looked good and the seller mentioned using stainless steel pins.

EdP

WKR
I do it after re-sizing so it cleans off the case lube.
It doesn't make sense to me to introduce lube to your abrasive media. After all, the whole point is to use an abrasive to remove fouling and tarnish from your brass. Using the media to remove sizing lube just adds the lube to your media and reduces it's abrasive effect.

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I would not think introducing a small amount of lube into the cleaning media would be harmful. It could possibly require more frequent changes of media overtime.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve use both ultrasonic cleaners and SS pins in a tumbler, but I’ve gone the easy route recently, wipe them free of dirt, one shot lube, FL resize, and wipe off lube and done.