Clean Brass

Thank you for all the feedback and new ideas. It looks like I will be sticking with the walmart media and trying some of the added steps mentioned.

I had purchased some once fired brass off gunbroker and it really looked good and the seller mentioned using stainless steel pins.
Make sure you are adding a polish to the media. I use Flitz and add a capful of it to the walnut media, then let it run for 15 minutes to distribute the polish, and dry it out a little. If you put the brass in the tumbler when the media is still damp, it will clump up inside the brass and be difficult to remove.
Don't use anything that contains ammonia (Brasso). It will weaken the brass. The Flitz tumbling media polish is the best I have found, and my brass is clean and shiny in about an hour. It shouldn't take much longer than that to get the brass clean. Definitely not a day or more.

Vern400

WKR
Clean and shiny are really two different requirements. In the spectrum of must, need, and want, got to keep it in perspective there.

I don't necessarily like the year-old tarnished cases found in the dirt, but if they go through the cleaning process and are off color they're still okay to use, just like lacquer Coated cases and a annealed cases.

If I want a box super shiny, I squeeze a piece of scotch right over the case while I'm trimming necks in a cordless drill. That will recover even the tarnished cases. Walnut tumble and they're good to go.
And I hate those kernels of Walnut in the flash holes too!

crich

WKR
Yes, rock tumblers works with SS pins. I started with cheap little harbor freight rock tumblers to do it. Upgraded to the frankford arsenal wet tumbling setup which is a good value IMO. It spins a little fast for my liking but works well. SS is the way if you want like new shiny brass. I dont.

I've since moved to vibratory tumbling with rice. Doesn't clean primer pockets or make brass as spotless as SS pins. Keeps the carbon in the necks a little better which is a benefit. It is the easiest to deal with and doesn't have the dust of the walnut or corn cob medias. I still have the wet tumblers collecting dust if I ever have really nasty brass that needs work.
This sounds much simpler and cleaner.

You mind posting a pic of the finished product with rice?

This sounds much simpler and cleaner.

You mind posting a pic of the finished product with rice?

This is the article that led me to rice. https://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/clean-brass-with-rice
Seems like the choice in rice can make a big difference in how much of a headache there will be with rice in flash holes and primer pockets. I’ve only used the stuff he suggests.

This is just once fired and resized brass that never got filthy but it’s a fair representation still imo.
151C6471-3ED6-46B3-B4E4-90F125CB29EB.jpeg07D474AF-7B77-48D4-91C6-3B54DB7F50E3.jpeg

Last edited: