Cleaning interior of log home?

IdahoElk

WKR
What is the best way to prep/clean the interior of a log home prior to staining?
So far I've vacuumed the dust off the logs and was going to hit them with TSP and a sponge next.
If you have any recommendations I'd appreciated it, Trying to help a neighbor, Thanks

Edit: logs are raw untreated

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
A simple topic that’s not so simple. What’s on the wall now and how it was originally prepped and applied makes a big difference. A thin original application of a thinned down linseed oil over well sanded wood may take any stain with very little prep, but someone in love with shiny logs that used polyurethane has added a layer of smooth plastic to the wood. Worst of all are oddball finishes that should never have been used, some of which nothing will stick to. Vinyl sanding sealers are cheap and look like a clear finish, but are designed to be under certain clear finishes, and nothing else sticks to them very well.

The stain has to be tested on a small hidden area before going all out - many times the results of staining are nothing like what homeowners expected. Test, test, test - surface prep is dependent on the products and method it’s applied.

If it’s a good quality tinted wood finish the color will be uniform, and the biggest risks are areas of existing finish not providing any bite for the new finish to adhere to, so everything should be sanded to remove any gloss. That doesn’t mean cleaning can be skipped or the sandpaper will just smear oils around.

If the idea is to use a wipe on stain like minwax and cover it with a different clear finish, it will not look like what he thinks it will look like - a test will probably show this is not a good choice. Wiping stain over existing finish leaves areas with little or no stain and globs of dark pigment in rough areas - sanding makes it more consistent, or makes it worse if not done well. This kind of stain can look good when sprayed, but that’s a more advanced topic. Log houses all over have tons of minwax stained walls that look good - it depends on the person understanding it’s limitations.

I see photos of entire rooms essentially ruined, painted with full bodied stains - full bodied, even most semi transparent stains just look like paint to me - I’d rather have a stick in the eye than go that route.

Test, test, test so there are no surprises.

edit: There is so much going on with restains and so much misunderstanding by diy types, that no matter what I have said it will be taken out of context and misapplied - I want to delete this because it’s not possible to fully explain in 500 words - just consider this post for entertainment purposes only. 🙂

Last edited:

7mm-08

WKR
Not at all sure if this is practical or not for your application, but we have friends who used a company to dry ice blast the inside of their "lakeside cabin," which is worth a few million dollars. I have no idea of the cost for that work, but it turned out beautifully by lightening the wood MANY shades. Looks like a new place.

Drenalin

WKR
Not at all sure if this is practical or not for your application, but we have friends who used a company to dry ice blast the inside of their "lakeside cabin," which is worth a few million dollars. I have no idea of the cost for that work, but it turned out beautifully by lightening the wood MANY shades. Looks like a new place.
It is exceptionally expensive, but almost miraculous.

I don't think anything that extensive is needed for raw logs in the OP's case though. I would think dust is the biggest thing for OP to be concerned with, maybe a little spot cleaning where stuff has gotten on the logs during construction.

I’ve had experience with cob and glass media on lodgepole and Doug fir. I’ve never been satisfied with the resulting porous finish for interior walls. Possibly blaster operator error? Maybe the dry ice doesn’t do that on wood ? Curious why the interior was done. Previous owners stained it dark ?

Sorry, I didn’t see OP post. An Osborn brush at low RPM an angle grinder will take out dark marks from log handling/erection. Vacuum. Wipe down with damp rag. Water based clear polyurethane is all you need inside. Wood absorbs light, hence the common ‘too dark in here’ feel often in log homes.

Spent most of my life in log homes. Would agree that staining is risky and I would strongly avoid on the interior unless there is a specific reason. i.e. they sustained weathering or mildew during construction. This happened to my last one, and required considerable application lightening chemicals, and then a very light (custom mixed at 1/4 strength) stain to make them look natural again. Never did like that.

If in good condition, my preference would be to dust them well and put on a good water based polyurethane. Any and all light reflection will be a positive as they will darken naturally over the years.

Not sure what kind of logs you are workings with, but if they are the natural hand pealed type like I've had, both chemical and mechanical means of cleaning will increase porosity and make them darker in the long run per my experience.