Clearing Toronto Customs

JGRaider

WKR

In the middle of firming up flights to Deer Lake for a Sept 2020 moose hunt. I've heard the horror stories about clearing customs in Toronto with guns, but what is it equally as difficult coming and going clearing customs without a firearm? In other words, should a guy try and avoid Toronto no matter what? Even though I will not have a firearm, I plan on having a couple boxes of frozen moose meat with me on the plane. Thanks.

Not sure, but if you mean you are driving from US to Toronto airport , be sure to fill out the CB 4457 form. ( you get this filled out and dined by customs on the US side BEFORE crossing into Canada) .... kind of weird driving into and visiting US customs beforehand but they will sign whatever items you’d like to claim and this serves as proof that you didn’t purchase or steal guns in Canada then try to bring them back into US. While not mandatory to have this filled out, it will make re entry so much easier.

weaver

WKR
I try to avoid toronto and air Canada in general.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

keller

WKR
i decided to drive from wi instead of flying through toronto from what i have read only one more day off work on both ends i figured

OP
J

JGRaider

WKR
Way to far for me to drive, and Toronto is by far the best option to fly as far as time/$$$ go.

firebird

FNG
I’m Canadian and transit through Toronto Pearson leaving and reentering with firearms. The biggest problem is that the Customs Officers and the Airport Security do not know what they are supposed to do (some maybe). Most are not caucasian and most don’t leave the city.

if you have all the required papers, guns are transported as required, and you have no criminal record in the US the only issue you face is an uneducated/over educated Peace/security officer.

imo just shut up and go through the process.Maybe print off the laws stating your requirements for importing a firearm etc to reference to the Officer.

i get just as hard of a time as a Canadian coming home through Toronto Pearson with guns. Last time I got searched cause the spotting scope in my carry on, the guy had never seen one and didn’t know what it was. (Maybe a missile targeting device!!)

Just do it, and give yourself 3-4 hours for the connection. US customs is the problem on reentry. Going into Canada is easy. Canada wants your C$25 and your good.

Even with the 3 hours, Air Canada didn't load my rifle on my return flight, it stayed in Toronto for another day.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
We must have been pretty lucky. I had a Blues shirt on and the Tronto customs guys wanted to talk hockey. Pretty easy. Coming home it was a little longer but not as bad as what I have heard. Be curious and polite. Allow 3 hours and you should be good.