Climbing stick alternative

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use a climbing type aider ladder instead of sticks? I mostly use a climber but was thinking of trying a saddle. The rope style ladder seems like it would be a lot lighter and easier to pack around if im gonna mix in hunting from the ground. I know it would probably be a pain since it would hang flat against the tree though.
Anyone try it? Im sure im missing something.

I run an aider with climbing sticks but haven't seen anyone run just an aider. You may want to look into the one sick method or I have seen some guys run mini sticks (some where around 7" long) with an aider.

LostArra

WKR
An aider without the stick sounds kind of tough to use. The stick can hold the aider out away from the tree and even then it can be tricky getting your boot in the loop when descending in the dark. I'm not saying it can't be done but I would suggest a lot of practice and some type of stiffener/tubing inside the webbing to open up the aider loop.

Brendan

WKR
4 Cut Down Hawk Helium's with an Aider here when saddle hunting. I can't envision an easy way to use just the aider.

If I was looking to get smaller than that, I'd be looking at SRT / DRT rope type ascent. You'd need a throw bag and some ascending / descending practice, something to stand on at height, but could potentially be smaller and easier to pack.

Tartan

WKR
I have the Yates big wall aider. It’s an in-line type aider and you’ll want something to help it stand off from the tree. Wild edge steps for example. I personally would only want to use this on a straight tree. And I wouldn’t want to have to bypass limbs until I was on the WE step. I’ve also built a little standoff that I’ve attached to the aider and attempted one sticking with the aider.

I don’t have many straight, no limb trees around me so it’s not particularly applicable. I’ve worked on this quite a bit looking for a sub 2 lb set up. It might work better in other areas. Just more hassle than a couple extra pounds is worth.

my ultra lite set up is SRT. It’s great, but can be hard to get set up quickly and quietly. I prefer it for preset trees with some paracord to pull up the climbing line. Total climbing set-up is about 5 lbs (40ft rope, mad rock safeguard, petzl l hand ascender, throw line and weight)

I have a set of cutdown helium sticks I use for run and gun set ups.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
Like mentioned, look at one stick climbing either with or without an aider. Might consider rappelling as well. It is not difficult at all but practice a bunch at ground level and then at a this wont hurt my dumbass height before heading up the tree with the intent of rappelling.

I just use screw in cranford steps that fold up. Little heavier but I put them in my chest Bino harness for the way up and down. Super slick. I only bring it up because I know a guy who uses an wider with screw in steps too and he says it is real slick. If I got sticks I definitely would use an aider as well. Weight and height advantage is worth it. Just practice

sworrior

FNG
Visit saddlehunter.com and give it a look! If you go with a saddle I highly recommend a single, double step, short stick with a single step aider attached. I can climb a lot easier (although slower) than a climber, go around any limb, and rappel back down. I was overwhelmed at it all at first, but it has completely changed the game for me. About 10 minutes up and set up, 5 minute tear down, 15 second descent. Its awesome.

If you go saddle stick with it, it gets more comfortable after the first few attempts, and eventually you will be hooked. Without packing cold weather gear my pack weighs less than 10 pounds with everything I need and then some!