Clothing for end of September moose hunt out of Bethel

FLAK

WKR
I did a 10 day Brown Bear hunt out of Bethel back in '11. I wore Microtek, polypro Underwear and a 3/4 length HH Impertech. That HH and Croc OR gaiters were the stuff. And that Microtek just wont stay wet for long. I wore an old pair of Cabelas Mtn Hunter Leather boots that performed flawlessly. Carhart fleece Beanie and a Goretex boonie hat. This hunt started at the end of sept and went well into Oct. Rained or snowed every dang day.

New member here soaking up info like a sponge. Thanks everyone for sharing years of experience with those of us who have not experience a moose hunt. I am booked for September 2021 and look forward to more of this great insight!

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I went synthetic. I don't own a down bag though, I figure that bag is my last line of defense against the cold and wet. I crawl in it with wet layers to dry them out quite a bit. I have a Kifaru Slickbag 20 degree that has treated me well and is what I took on the hunt in AK. I've slept in it down to 0 degrees with my Darn Tough socks, Aerowool base layers, and Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody on inside it.

AKDoc

WKR
I used synthetic for decades up here, but switched to "treated down" (pro/con arguments aside) about seven years ago. Given all the advantages of synthetic in wet conditions, I was initially real nervous about that switch for remote trips where I'm 2+ weeks in the field.

However, the compressibility and space/weight savings with down have been a real nice bonus, and I'm glad I switched. That said, I'm pretty compulsive about keeping it dry, and I air it out on good wx days (if/when they come). I also take a compact thermal insert with me for the multi-week trips, just in case (S to S Thermolite Reactor Extreme), but I've never needed/used it. I also always use a good R-rated sleeping pad with my ultra-lite cot.

Last edited:

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
bring chest waders, forget hip boots. everything else looks g-to-g IMO. even if you dont need the chest highs for crossing bogs or sloughs, you'll appreciate the butt dryness and extra wind guard. Leave waterproof bottoms behind in that case, and maybe one pair of insulated pants too. those waders keep you warm as a stale fart most days even in street clothes underneath.

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
That brings up another Q. BTW I apologize if this is hijacking the thread, but I am asking about "bed" clothes:sneaky:
Cot or no cot. Is it really worth the expense and hassle? I know, it's purely subjective but this would probably be the only time I'd have the where-with-all to use one. Can't really see me taking this on backpack elk hunts.

That brings up another Q. BTW I apologize if this is hijacking the thread, but I am asking about "bed" clothes:sneaky:
Cot or no cot. Is it really worth the expense and hassle? I know, it's purely subjective but this would probably be the only time I'd have the where-with-all to use one. Can't really see me taking this on backpack elk hunts.

3 of us are bringing ultralight cost with us in our hunt this year. I’d say take one if you can swing it weight wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR

Nothing beats a good night's sleep on a wilderness hunt. It only takes one or two strategically placed rocks or tussocks to mess up your sleeping, and digging them out or moving isn't always possible. My Luxurylite Ultralight Cot goes with me every time.

As for bed clothes - I bring an old, frayed set of light silk long underwear top and bottoms to wear to bed. Lets me change out of my hunting clothes, and start each day feeling somewhat fresh by donning clothes that I didn't sleep in (after a quick Handi Wipe cleanup in the sleeping bag).

AKDoc

WKR
I first added a lite cot to my fall moose hunts about six or seven years ago (and every year since), and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Tundra is interesting topography, but it is seldom flat, which makes finding an area for your sleeping pad often challenging and sometimes mission impossible...but a cot can level the playing field.

My lite cot has also been with me on Kodiak for mountain goats, as well as several canoe spring black bear hunts. I've not taken my cot when pack-rafting, and I really miss it...going to change that game plan in August!

I've primarily used a Thermarest
My kids got me a Helinox (2.7 lbs) for Christmas last year, so Ill be giving that a run this fall.
https://www.rei.com/product/158009/helinox-lite-cot

Last edited:

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A cot changed my camping experience from roughin' it to waking up without bags under my eyes and sore hips and shoulders. Yes sir, the Ultralight cots are worth the extra 2-lbs.

It's been an interesting progression of gear decisions for me over the years I've been doing this, including a couple solo hunts. When I did my first moose diy hunt, I was pretty obsessive about every detail of gear. I likely burned up a couple million brain cells trying to think through many scenarios and how to address them before they happened. I (and my partner) brought way too much gear and didn't need a good bit of it. In subsequent years (next 2 or 3) I still found myself with more than I needed and it actually irritated me to paw my way past extra headlamps, coils of 550 cord, backup knives, backup first-aid stuff, too many socks...etc. That might sound crazy but it's exactly what I experienced. As the hunts and years went along I found myself needing and wanting less stuff. I don't think I could have done that on my first trip...my brain wouldn't allow it...and I needed the comfort of knowing I had lots of gear. I had so many clothes...it was ridiculous. Now I take exactly what I need and nothing more. And in a very interesting way, I've found that more experience = less gear in my case. I can go in for 2 weeks, and all my gear fits nicely inside the tail of the Super Cub behind my seat. No extra gear drops. This definitely is only just me relating what I've experienced in my time, and it's not to encourage anyone to take less or more gear. Take what makes you feel comfortable, but don't be afraid to improvise up there. That's part of what a wilderness hunter does.
Great Advice!! I believe we get a little caught up in gear too. Be safe but go simple. Our forefathers did it so can we!!

I was a little disappointed after finishing the thread not to see any pictures form your Moose trip and others. I would love to see pictures of camp, boats, gear and of course a moose.

First 2 pics- 2020 bull 52.5”, 2nd two pics 2021 bull 73” I called in for buddy. Harvested 1 bull each year 2 hunters. DIY drop camp

Great Looking Bulls!!!!!

What items did you take with you that you would leave on your the next trip?

Whats items were the most essential?

Whats the biggest advice you could give after 2 trips Moose hunting?

Great Looking Bulls!!!!!

What items did you take with you that you would leave on your the next trip?

Whats items were the most essential?

Whats the biggest advice you could give after 2 trips Moose hunting?
Thank you.

Leave - collapsible saw, replaceable blade knife/outdoor edge etc

Important - good optics, good fixed blade knife, helley hansen rain jacket, simms waders, Barney’s pack, hand-pump water filter

Practice shooting free hand at long distance and good attitude, mindset, and patience. I’d stay in one spot 3 days and if don’t see anything then I’d relocate. Having never been moose hunting I also practiced calling with online resources and field judging them. We hunted a 4 brow/50+ area.