Clothing for end of September moose hunt out of Bethel

To keep the center pole from sinking, there is a simple 3 step process that I use.

1) drink a can of beer
2) crush empty can against forehead in display of bravado and masculinity
3) use crushed can as footprint for bottom of center pole.

The worst thing that happens is you have to pull the pole back up out of the ground and reposition it a couple of inches to the side. I wouldn’t over think this part, and certainly wouldn’t worry about welding more stuff into the stove or adding nuts and washers.

I used some Cyclone knock off type of no name tent stakes and they worked great in tundra and on sand bars. Never had any settling issues with the stove.

I also had a Duraflame log that we cut pieces off of to dry wet wood and get our stove going when we were cold and wet. I used a lot more driftwood and little willow and alder branches than duraflame, but it was a really nice helper if you can spare the weight.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
The MSR cyclone stakes work just fine as do the blizzard style. I have both with me on that trip.

Some washers and extra nuts for your stove should be all you need.

You are going to have such a great adventure. The remoteness is truly amazing and overwhelming for some people. Keep practicing your calling (with your daughter's help!). Your trip is timed pretty good for the rut to be in full swing. Calling a bull off of cows when he has worked hard to keep them herded-up can be challenging at times. Try cow calls when you haven't seen a bull...satellite bulls will come from pretty far away. Might not be the biggest bull in the area, but it is fun and I've been surprised a time or two at the size.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had the pole on our 12 man tipi auger in almost 12” during a big blow on Kodiak. Very nearly lost the whole shelter, 3 of us were up all night pounding flung stakes to keep the whole parachute from flying away. Discovered afterwards that it was largely to do with how much slack we got because the pole drove down so far due to wind vibration. Now we keep a small titanium bowl in the bag with the tipi, and put it underneath the pole every time we use it.

Never had much issue with the stove sinking down. In really windy conditions we have always had to drop the stove pipe down anyway. I do recommend running a bead of silicone around the opening of the stove jack, it prevents the edge of the rolled stove pipe from cutting into the jack material if it’s breezy.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone, great advice. I should have thought of a simple bowl instead of getting technical, guess I let my mind go overboard on that one. I'll use your recommendations.

I like the beer can idea very much but don't think I'll have been in the weight limit for this trip. I would bet a bottle goes along for medicinal purposes or celebrating getting a moose killed and packed to where the plane can reach it, but I think I'll wait on the beer until we get back to civilization. I bet a steak and beer will really hit the spot by then.

And just in case I missed seeing it somewhere: You can support a tipi pole with a decent flat rock or stone placed beneath it. That's what I've been doing for many years and had no troubles with the pole sinking. I suppose I could bring some type of flat rigid disc which would carry nicely while being light in weight. I just haven't had a need. My tipi pole typically gets lengthened twice during a 2 week hunt. I keep it taut for maximum wind and water shedding.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I have been doing boat moose hunts for years and have a lot of hard won opinions on the subject. Old School works on a river or lake hunt.
1) Go wool. You are going to get damp and wool stays warmer than synthetics over the long haul.
2) Impertech beats goretex over the long run. Unzip when not raining....zip when raining. Get an oversize coat to fit over your PFD. The long guide coat keeps your butt dry if you wear hip waders.
3) Ankle fit hip waders or (better yet) Wading pants. Both allow in and out of the boat ease and the ability to wade bogs or hook up to a downed moose in a nasty place.
4) Bring a come-along. I use it every trip for something. Might as well get a good one like the Masdam rope hoist.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Kevin I've done that too with my Megatarp's hiking pole or sticks I pitch it with. I just don't want to rely on my environment for any more than I have to this trip where I don't know where I will be dropped or what will be available.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I just don't want to rely on my environment for any more than I have to this trip where I don't know where I will be dropped or what will be available.

You just nailed it in a single sentence for this trip...excellent sir!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I personally appreciate your approach to the wonderful adventure you’re going to have this fall. In that spirit, I offer a couple of other thoughts to share as you prepare...

What's your back-up plan for drinkable water? You'll head out there with a couple of collapsible 5 gal jugs of water from the transporter. What are you going to do if you run out, or one of the jugs leaks and you find out only after it is completely emptied over-night, or your hunting partner forgets to close the spout and puts the jug down on uneven ground so that it rolls over on its side and empties out over-night, or an animal chomps on it and it empties out, etc.? You'll be camped on a lake of some kind, so water will be there...you just need to make it drinkable...and if your back-up plan is to boil water to drink, then know how long you need to boil it, and will you have enough fuel to do that for a week or so? There are numerous water-filtering systems out there to consider. I'll admit that I'm a bit on the paranoid side when it comes to ensuring that I'm not going to get sick from inadequate water treatment...I had dysentery once in the Marines when in the war and giardia once up here back-packing. That said, I've had good luck on my hunts with the Katadyn base camp filter (bring an extra filter), and the Steripen Adventurer (bring extra batteries). I bring both but may only use one or the other. BTW, I boil water for 10 minutes.

What's your communication system going to be with your transporter...loved ones? Cell phone coverage will be pretty much for sure unavailable…don’t count on it in the field at all. I use an Inreach...just make sure you have all the contact numbers for your transporter and synch it with your cell phone for ease of use. The Inreach takes a bit of practice, but it has never failed me. I've also rented a satellite phone in the past, but I've relied more on the inReach recently. The battery on mine is pretty darn good, but for that long of a trip you should have a back-up charging system, e.g., rechargeable power pack, solar charger, both, etc.

What are you going to bring for responsible meat care? Moose meat is the absolute BEST, and there will be lots of it!!! You'll need to keep it off the ground, dry, and allow air to circulate around it...all of which may be VERY challenging where you are going. Meat spoilage is unacceptable to all of us…wanton waste is a felony in Alaska. Several tarps for tenting, a crap-load of parachute cord, folding wood saw and numerous game bags are a must. Using the BIG game bags, it takes about seven for a moose (meat on the bone for the quarters, all the rest boned-out). BTW, you’ll likely notice that a 6”(+/-) section of the neck, about a hand width past the ears, the meat may have a musky smell from the glands located in that area. Cut that part separately and don’t bag it with the rest of the meat.

What are you going to pack in your “tool” bag, knowing that you're going to have to be mindful of weight restrictions? Mine has a multi-tool, a segmented full length cleaning rod, bore-snake, oil and patches, a dozen large zip-ties, some duct tape, tube of water-seal, Tenacious Tape, JB Weld (quick dry), Gore-Tex patches, flagging tape, a couple of glow sticks, space-blanket, head-net, more parachute cord, water-proof matches in water-tight container (back-up for the lighter), and a few other things…all of which fit into a reasonably sized zip-bag.

What are you going to bring in your first-aid kit? As you already know, this is not a trip where you can jump in your car and get to the ER. You’ll want to have a really good first-aid kit and hopefully not need it. Mine is pretty packed full and fits into a zippered bag that’s about 10” x 5” x 4”.

All the above is offered in supportive spirit and you may have already thought it all through. Pick and choose what works for you and the thoughts of others. I also realize that I remote hunt in Alaska multiple times a year, so I get my moneys worth on the investment, which may not at all be true for others. I sincerely want you to have a great and safe adventure.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Any holes in my plans I'd much rather deal with now than in Alaska. I don't know how to do different colors or anything else fancy to reply under each of your paragraphs so I'm going to do it in capital letters. Everyone please feel free to critique my responses, as I said I'd rather learn what I'm missing now than later. Thanks everyone.

I personally appreciate your approach to the wonderful adventure you’re going to have this fall. In that spirit, I offer a couple of other thoughts to share as you prepare...

What's your back-up plan for drinkable water? You'll head out there with a couple of collapsible 5 gal jugs of water from the transporter. What are you going to do if you run out, or one of the jugs leaks and you find out only after it is completely emptied over-night, or your hunting partner forgets to close the spout and puts the jug down on uneven ground so that it rolls over on its side and empties out over-night, or an animal chomps on it and it empties out, etc.? You'll be camped on a lake of some kind, so water will be there...you just need to make it drinkable...and if your back-up plan is to boil water to drink, then know how long you need to boil it, and will you have enough fuel to do that for a week or so? There are numerous water-filtering systems out there to consider. I'll admit that I'm a bit on the paranoid side when it comes to ensuring that I'm not going to get sick from inadequate water treatment...I had dysentery once in the Marines when in the war and giardia once up here back-packing. That said, I've had good luck on my hunts with the Katadyn base camp filter (bring an extra filter), and the Steripen Adventurer (bring extra batteries). I bring both but may only use one or the other. BTW, I boil water for 10 minutes.

WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE. I HAVE A KATADYN BASE CAMP PRO AND SPARE FILTER BOUGHT ALREADY AND IN MY PACKING LIST. MY BACK-UP FILTRATION METHOD AND WHAT I'LL USE IF I RUN OUT DURING A DAY'S HUNT IS A STERIPEN WITH A RE-CHARGABLE BATTERY AND A SYNTHETIC BANDANA AND RUBBER BAND. I'LL USE THE BANDANA TO PRE-FILTER THE WATER INTO MY 32OZ STAINLESS NALGENE SIZE/SHAPE BOTTLE AND THEN USE THE STERIPEN TO PURIFY IT. LAST DITCH I HAVE A STAINLESS BOTTLE I CAN BOIL, AND ALSO HAVE A FEW PURFICATION TABLETS IN MY DSK (DAYPACK SURVIVAL KIT)

What's your communication system going to be with your transporter...loved ones? Cell phone coverage will be pretty much for sure unavailable…don’t count on it in the field at all. I use an Inreach...just make sure you have all the contact numbers for your transporter and synch it with your cell phone for ease of use. The Inreach takes a bit of practice, but it has never failed me. I've also rented a satellite phone in the past, but I've relied more on the inReach recently. The battery on mine is pretty darn good, but for that long of a trip you should have a back-up charging system, e.g., rechargeable power pack, solar charger, both, etc.

PLAN THERE IS TO RENT THE SAT PHONE FROM THE TRANSPORTER. I AM TAKING A RITE IN THE RAIN NOTBOOK AND PEN THAT I HAVE THE TRANSPORTERS CONTACT NUMBERS IN AND WILL ADD OTHER RELEVANT NUMBERS AS I GET THEM. I'M TAKING 2 DARK ENERGY POSEIDON BATTERY PACKS AND A GOAL ZERO VENTURE 70 BATTERY. I CAN TAKE A GOAL ZERO SOLAR PANEL, EITHER A NOMAD 20 OR NOMAD 7+ BUT I THINK AFTER TESTING THAT FOR THIS TRIP THE EXTRA BATTERY POWER IS BETTER FOR THE WEIGHT THAN THE SOLAR PANEL. I WILL HAVE A BLACK DIAMOND HEADLAMP, THE STERIPEN, AND MY I PHONE THAT WILL RELY ON THE BATTERY PACKS. I CHARGED MY I PHONE DURING NORMAL USE FOR 3 WEEKS ON THESE BATTERY PACKS ONLY. I WILL HAVE A BACK-UP HEADLAMP THAT RUNS ON AAA BATTERIES (AS WILL THE RE-CHARGABLE ONE) AND A DOZEN LITHIUM AAA BATTERIES. MY I PHONE WILL ONLY BE USED FOR READING DOWLOADED BOOKS AND AS A GPS ON AIRPLANE MODE WITH PRE-DOWNLOADED MAPS OF THE UNIT THROUGH ONX MAPS.

What are you going to bring for responsible meat care? Moose meat is the absolute BEST, and there will be lots of it!!! You'll need to keep it off the ground, dry, and allow air to circulate around it...all of which may be VERY challenging where you are going. Meat spoilage is unacceptable to all of us…wanton waste is a felony in Alaska. Several tarps for tenting, a crap-load of parachute cord, folding wood saw and numerous game bags are a must. Using the BIG game bags, it takes about seven for a moose (meat on the bone for the quarters, all the rest boned-out). BTW, you’ll likely notice that a 6”(+/-) section of the neck, about a hand width past the ears, the meat may have a musky smell from the glands located in that area. Cut that part separately and don’t bag it with the rest of the meat.

WE EACH HAVE A BIG 6 BAG SET OF LARRY BARTLETT'S TAG BAGS IN THE LARGEST SIZE, PLUS A 5 PACK OF THE SMALLER TAG BAGS WE WILL TAKE. THAT'S A BIG BAG FOR EACH QUARTER AND EACH RIB SLAB, PLUS THE 5 SMALLER ONES FOR THE OTHER CUTS AND TRIM MEAT. FOR MEAT CARE I WATCHED HIS VIDEOS ON MEAT CARE AND HAVE NOTES TAKEN ON THEM IN MY RITE IN THE RAIN NOTEBOOK I'LL TAKE IF I NEED A REFRESHER ON WHAT CUTS IN WHAT ORDER. I HAVE TWO KRYPTEK SATELLITE TARPS IN A 10.5 X 8.5FT SIZE FOR USE ON A MEAT CACHE. WHEN PROCESSING ONE CAN ALSO BE USED TO PUT QUARTERS ON TO KEEP THEM CLEAN. I HOPE TO BE ABLE TO TIE A LOG BETWEEN TREES TO HANG THE QUARTERS, OR AT THE LEAST BUILD A PLATFORM THAT ALLOWS AIRFLOW UNDER THEM. I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT RELY ON THE ENVIRONMENT FOR MATERIALS ON THIS ONE. THE TRANSPORTER WILL FLY IN AND TAKE OUT LOADS OF MEAT ONCE WE HAVE THEM TAKEN CARE OF AND PACKED TO WHERE HE CAN REACH THEM ALSO. HE WANTS A CALL WHEN WE KILL AND AGAIN WHEN WE ARE READY FOR HIM TO FLY IT OUT. MY PLAN IS TO BE PREPARED TO KEEP QUARTERS FOR THE WHOLE 10 DAYS, BUT TO GET THEM OUT AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE.

FOR TOOLS I HAVE A 18" WYOMING SAW, GRANSFERS BRUKS OUTDOOR AXE, PLUS A COUPLE GOOD KNIVES AND A SHARPENER. I ALSO HAVE 200FT OF PARACORD BETWEEN US. I DON'T HAVE A COME ALONG CURRENTLY IN THE PACKING LIST.

What are you going to pack in your “tool” bag, knowing that you're going to have to be mindful of weight restrictions? Mine has a multi-tool, a segmented full length cleaning rod, bore-snake, oil and patches, a dozen large zip-ties, some duct tape, tube of water-seal, Tenacious Tape, JB Weld (quick dry), Gore-Tex patches, flagging tape, a couple of glow sticks, space-blanket, head-net, more parachute cord, water-proof matches in water-tight container (back-up for the lighter), and a few other things…all of which fit into a reasonably sized zip-bag.

I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO COPY THIS IN CAPS LOCK FROM MY EXCEL PACKING LIST, BUT THIS IS MY REPAIR KIT. THE HEAD NET, FIRE KIT, PARACORD, AND STRIPPED DOWN OTIS CLEANING KIT (BOTH OF US ARE SHOOTING 300 WIN MAGS, KIT HAS 30 CAL STUFF ONLY) ARE LISTED ELSEWHERE IN MY LIST. ELECTRICAL TAPE FOR MUZZLES I PUT IN THE OTIS KIT. MY DSK HAS ENOUGH TINDER TO BURN FOR ABOUT 45 MINUTES AND 2 WAYS TO LIGHT IT.

zip ties,tenacious tape,seam grip, wader field repair kit,2 lg safety pins,2 single use superglue tubes,8 lens wipe packets,3ft baling wire,( Leatherman included in group med),10 clothes pins, torx to fit scope rings and mounts

What are you going to bring in your first-aid kit? As you already know, this is not a trip where you can jump in your car and get to the ER. You’ll want to have a really good first-aid kit and hopefully not need it. Mine is pretty packed full and fits into a zippered bag that’s about 10” x 5” x 4”.

THIS IS OUR GROUP MEDICAL KIT. I'LL LIST MY PERSONAL MED KIT BELOW THE GROUP ONE

hemostat,quick clot,4 small gauze pads,2 large gauze pads,tape,4 bandages,neosporin,immodium,2 sutures,moleskin,superglue,vet wrap,Leatherman PST2 (israeli bandage in DSK)

THE VET WRAP IS HOT PINK IN COLOR AND I ALSO USE IT AS FLAGGING TAPE. I BUY A FRESH ROLL FOR EVERY HUNT. IT'S CHEAP AND AS ROLLS GET EXPOSED TO HEAT FOR EXTENDED TIMES THEY STICK TOGETHER PRETTY BAD.

PERSONAL MEDICAL KIT

lotriminx2, bodyglide anti-chafe stick,12 days BP meds, 20 aleve,10 tylenol PM, hikers goo foot gel

THE PERSONAL KIT IS MY PRESCRIPTION MEDS PLANNING FOR 2 EXTRA DAYS, PLUS PAIN RELIEVERS AND PAIN RELIEVERS WITH SLEEP AID IF THEY ARE NEEDED. THE LOTRIMIN IS IN CASE MY FEET STAY WET TO LONG AND HAVE ISSUES. THE HIKERS GOO IS TO GO ON BEFORE I PUT ON MY SLEEPING SOCKS TO PREVENT FOOT ISSUES. THE ANTI-CHAFE STICK I FIGURE IS SELF EXPLANATORY.

All the above is offered in supportive spirit and you may have already thought it all through. Pick and choose what works for you and the thoughts of others. I also realize that I remote hunt in Alaska multiple times a year, so I get my moneys worth on the investment, which may not at all be true for others. I sincerely want you to have a great and safe adventure.

I'M A NEWBY TO ALASKA AND AM TAKING WHAT I LEARNED THROUGH RANCH LIFE (BALING WIRE IS GOING ALONG), WHAT I HAVE LEARNED HUNTING AND FISHING FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS (38 NOW) AND WHAT YOU ALL CAN TEACH ME. I'M GOOD WITH MAKING INVESTMENTS WHERE THEY ARE NEEDED, I HOPE TO RETURN TO ALASKA FOR SITKA BLACKTAIL AND CARIBOU IN THE NEXT DECADE SO MUCH OF THE GEAR WILL BE USED MORE THAN ONCE. I HOPE TO RETURN AGAIN AFTER THAT, JUST CAN'T PLAN THAT FAR OUT JUST YET.

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
FYI mcseal2…I tried to respond to your PM, but your mail box is full.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
You’ve really done your homework sir…nice list you have there. Just a few quick points for right now…

I’ve never brought my rope come-along on that trip.

My Wyoming saw gets used every trip…both wood and bone blades. Last year we were actually fortunate and had some trees that allowed us to string a couple of log poles to hang two moose and tent it with the tarps…other years, not so fortunate so we improvised.

Others can give you better consultation on your battery packs and anticipated charge utilization. I think it’s good that you have back-ups. I do take my Nomad 7 solar charger…not that the wx cooperates out there when I need to use it, but I can try to stay ahead of battery depletion on good wx days and mine seems reasonable in weight.

Think of adding a few things to your first aid kit, e.g., tweezers, straight needle, small bottle of peroxide, tube of itch cream, steri-strips and super-glue, some “water-proof” bandages in various shapes/sizes, Benadryl, an extra 7 days of prescription medications (not just 2).

Keep thinking and talking…you’re doing great! While it’s always "better to have and not need" when in a remote location for 2-3 weeks, it does push one to prioritize what is truly needed. More on that…

It's been an interesting progression of gear decisions for me over the years I've been doing this, including a couple solo hunts. When I did my first moose diy hunt, I was pretty obsessive about every detail of gear. I likely burned up a couple million brain cells trying to think through many scenarios and how to address them before they happened. I (and my partner) brought way too much gear and didn't need a good bit of it. In subsequent years (next 2 or 3) I still found myself with more than I needed and it actually irritated me to paw my way past extra headlamps, coils of 550 cord, backup knives, backup first-aid stuff, too many socks...etc. That might sound crazy but it's exactly what I experienced. As the hunts and years went along I found myself needing and wanting less stuff. I don't think I could have done that on my first trip...my brain wouldn't allow it...and I needed the comfort of knowing I had lots of gear. I had so many clothes...it was ridiculous. Now I take exactly what I need and nothing more. And in a very interesting way, I've found that more experience = less gear in my case. I can go in for 2 weeks, and all my gear fits nicely inside the tail of the Super Cub behind my seat. No extra gear drops. This definitely is only just me relating what I've experienced in my time, and it's not to encourage anyone to take less or more gear. Take what makes you feel comfortable, but don't be afraid to improvise up there. That's part of what a wilderness hunter does.

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Spot on Kevin. I've found through my adventures that no truer words were spoken. Gear is fun to accumulate, tinker, and modify to fit individual styles. My thoughts have evolved more over time to focus on mental toughness and physical preparation over gear selection. Not knocking anyone and any style as were all in the same boat. Simply a perception based on a never-ending pursuit we all enjoy.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
As already stated, our individual gear-lists, what we each bring, and what we leave home are certainly going to vary between one another, and that’s OK…we do what we each do. We all agree that we can’t bring everything with us, nor should we…

Similarly, what we each chose to bring will vary on the different hunts that we each do annually. For example, each year I do a one-week spring bear hunt, one-week August sheep hunt, three-week September moose and brown bear hunt, and one-week late October/November black tail (and mountain goat) hunt. What I bring on each of those hunts definitely has variation…it’s not all the same.

My sheep hunt is always my shortest list, while my September hunt (the topic of this thread) is always my longest list of what I bring, and it should be that way for me…and yet I make weight in the hanger with my gear each and every September. Being mindful and prioritizing what one brings is not obsessing…it could become obsessive, but that’s many steps beyond what I’m talking about.

One of the comments from another here that was shared made me think about myself for a moment, i.e., voicing frustration with bringing too much and the progression towards bringing less on each successive trip. I haven’t observed that in myself for this hunt (September). I have modified and changed-out some things over time for sure (less clothing for one), but my aggregate list doesn’t seem to get significantly shorter on this hunt. It also doesn’t bother me at all on this hunt to have something that I brought but didn’t need this year…I’m actually thankful…and I’ll be remembering the time last year or several years ago when we did need it, and it was so great to have with me…and we enjoy retelling those stories to ourselves. “Remember the time when I steri-stripped your palm back together with super-glue?”

Like others I also enjoy adapting and improvising what my environment gives me…like making several tented meat drying racks out of alder in a relatively treeless area…and at the same time being thankful that I brought my Wyoming saw, a crap-load of parachute cord and tarps.

I'm confident that we all have more in common than differences...

Last edited:
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone, I got my mailbox cleaned up too.

I agree about modifying gear lists. I keep my gear lists for different hunts on the computer so they are easy to modify. I always go back through one after a hunt and look at what I used or didn't use and decide if I want it to stay on the list or not. I tend to pack pretty heavy in the truck and pretty light on my back. If I need something it's usually only a half days hike back to get it that way. The more times I do a similar trip the more I dial my list in and the more it shrinks for the most part. With this being a new experience I'm sure I'll pack to much but I'm ok with that since I won't have the truck stash a half day away. I know my first western hunts I took WAY to much stuff and I keep streamlining each year.

This thread has so much great information. Looking forward to your journey mcseal2.

Dad and I are still planning on the 2020 hunt so all this is priceless!

Thanks everyone, I got my mailbox cleaned up too.

I agree about modifying gear lists. I keep my gear lists for different hunts on the computer so they are easy to modify. I always go back through one after a hunt and look at what I used or didn't use and decide if I want it to stay on the list or not. I tend to pack pretty heavy in the truck and pretty light on my back. If I need something it's usually only a half days hike back to get it that way. The more times I do a similar trip the more I dial my list in and the more it shrinks for the most part. With this being a new experience I'm sure I'll pack to much but I'm ok with that since I won't have the truck stash a half day away. I know my first western hunts I took WAY to much stuff and I keep streamlining each year.

Mcseal2 - a friend and I are headed to AK for Moose hunt this September 2020. Just reading through this feed was EXTREMELY helpful. Did you ever create a final gear list? I would love to get a copy of it if so.

I personally go with my Simms G3 wading pants and HH Impertech coat. The problem with goretex and anything else is that you might never get a chance to dry it out. Impertech will never soak through. I think chest waders are overkill.

Also not sure where you’ll be hunting out of Bethel, but in all my time there I never saw a tree that you could hang a tarp on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever used the HH Highliner rain jacket? Looking at that or the HH Impertech. Thanks

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Wapati here is the thread on my gear list