CO application question

This is my first year to apply for a draw anywhere. I’m choosing CO just because it’s close to home and I have a decent knowledge of the GMUs I want to hunt.
I don’t think I quite understand how it works though. I’m choosing preference point only for my first choice and then using the three remaining for my actual “wish list”.
I can only apply for the archery in the GMU I want to hunt once, correct? The other two choices have to be for different GMUs and or season or both? Am I understanding this right?
So if I want to only hunt archery season, I will have to make three different GMU choices for that season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckleeves

WKR
They can’t be the same hunt code. So you could do the same GMU, just different seasons and it would be fine. It would be pointless to put the same huntcode anyway, because if you don’t get it first choice then your not getting it second choice etc.

Edit: yes if you only wanted archery hunts then you would need to select different units. Unless there are multiple archery seasons available with different hunt codes for the same GMU then you could.

You do understand that they way you are doing it, you will receive a preference point for sure, but you will only receive a tag if there are leftover tags after the first drawing?

And as stated, there is no reason to repeat any code, even if it was possible. But you can just leave them blank or put another archery unit tag choice. But 3rd choice will be filled only after the first two drawings, and the 4th choice is only if leftovers after the first 3 drawings.

jolemons

WKR
About 99% sure this reply is correct.

If you choose PP only for your 1st choice, you are not entered into the draw. You'll simply get a PP and be done. If you want to be in the draw and get a PP, select your draw choices and then check the box to get a PP if unsuccessful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Don’t think you have to click a box to get a preference point any more. There is no charge for a preference point any more, so pretty sure you get it automatically if unsuccessful in the FIRST drawing.

cnelk

WKR
You need a qualifying license to get a PP or even to enter the draw.

PPs are only awarded in the 1st Choice

Lytro

WKR
About 99% sure this reply is correct.

If you choose PP only for your 1st choice, you are not entered into the draw. You'll simply get a PP and be done. If you want to be in the draw and get a PP, select your draw choices and then check the box to get a PP if unsuccessful.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You can still draw your 2nd choice tag if you put a preference point as your 1st choice. I've done it a couple times now. Your second choice just needs to be a unit that typically has leftover tags after the first draw.

Im a CO resident, also first year applying, kind of overwhelmed, is there a list of 0-1 point draw units for Archery mule deer somewhere? Just want to get out and get some experience.

OP
Haulinbass02
You do understand that they way you are doing it, you will receive a preference point for sure, but you will only receive a tag if there are leftover tags after the first drawing?

And as stated, there is no reason to repeat any code, even if it was possible. But you can just leave them blank or put another archery unit tag choice. But 3rd choice will be filled only after the first two drawings, and the 4th choice is only if leftovers after the first 3 drawings.

Yes I understand that aspect. The unit I’m looking at usually has leftovers so I’m not too worried about it. Worst case scenario is an OTC archery elk if I’m unsuccessful in second or third draw.

OP
Haulinbass02
Don’t think you have to click a box to get a preference point any more. There is no charge for a preference point any more, so pretty sure you get it automatically if unsuccessful in the FIRST drawing.

This is correct as far as I know. You enter a code in first choice for PP only OR I can put in first choice and if unsuccessful I’ll get a PP. Then I can enter in for 2-4 draw and hope I get one of those. Since I’m only hunting archery the units I’m looking at typically have leftovers from first draw. If I strike out I have a backup plan for an OTC elk tag in my original GMU. Plus I’ll get a guaranteed PP.

I will make one suggestion. If you are thinking of going elk hunting in Southwest Colorado, where they just made the archery draw only last year, might want to reconsider. The reason they did that is because the herd is really down and they want to reduce hunter numbers. I have a cabin in that area and am looking elsewhere myself to hunt elk. If you can get a cow tag, your odds would be pretty good of success, but bull numbers are in the toilet right now.

TheViking

WKR
Im a CO resident, also first year applying, kind of overwhelmed, is there a list of 0-1 point draw units for Archery mule deer somewhere? Just want to get out and get some experience.

Join GoHunt and they’ll give you all the I do you’re looking for.

First you have to buy a habitat stamp and a qualifying license to even apply for the draw. Then you use the preference point code as your first choice then the hunt code for your respective units. Unless you pick a unit that has a large tag allotment your chances of getting drawn past 2nd choice is slim.

OP
Haulinbass02
Well I got my son and I entered as a group. Hated to do it that way since he is still a youth but I didn’t want to risk us not getting drawn for the same unit together. Knowing our luck he would get his first and I would get the second choice .

cfish4422

FNG
They can’t be the same hunt code. So you could do the same GMU, just different seasons and it would be fine. It would be pointless to put the same huntcode anyway, because if you don’t get it first choice then your not getting it second choice etc.

Edit: yes if you only wanted archery hunts then you would need to select different units. Unless there are multiple archery seasons available with different hunt codes for the same GMU then you could.

How does it work for 1st season rifle applying in a group. We are committed to a specific gmu, have 2 members putting in for a bull and 1 member a cow. Is it allowed and would it be worth putting in a second choice for the same unit, still 1st rifle, but for a cow for the 2 members that put in bull for their first choice? If doing that, do I need the 3rd member (the one that put cow for first choice) to just repeat their same huntcode as second choice as well, which would have all 3 of us with cow for second choice?

ckleeves

WKR
How does it work for 1st season rifle applying in a group. We are committed to a specific gmu, have 2 members putting in for a bull and 1 member a cow. Is it allowed and would it be worth putting in a second choice for the same unit, still 1st rifle, but for a cow for the 2 members that put in bull for their first choice? If doing that, do I need the 3rd member (the one that put cow for first choice) to just repeat their same huntcode as second choice as well, which would have all 3 of us with cow for second choice?

I honestly don’t know. If you and the other guy did bull first choice and cow second that’s perfectly normal. The guy who puts cow first choice I don’t believe can put the same hunt code in the second choice column as he did the first. Now he could put bull second choice, and you guys could put cow second choice and I *think* it would be perfectly fine.

Reading the draw recap for the hunt your applying for would be the easy way to tell what your probably going to end up with and the best application strategy. Thousands of guys put way to much though into their second, third and forth choices in Colorado when they very well may be applying for tags that would take a few points and a first choice app to get. They could have left them blank and it would have done the same thing.

Remember that your dropping down to the lowest applicants preference point number, so if for example the bull tag takes 2 points and the two of you have that many but the third guy has none, but the cow tag takes zero then you don’t want him in your group, he can apply on his own and all 3 of you draw vs nobody drawing because he brought you all down to zero.

The only group apps I have filled out or helped guys with have all been exactly the same hunt codes in the same order so don’t trust me 100% on all this. Worth a phone call.

cfish4422

FNG
I looked up the draw stats right after posting my question. This is my first time elk hunting, so it's all new to me. I've tried doing my research, but information seems limited for group applications.
The unit we're applying for is 54. I just assumed the cow tag would be easier to get, but after looking at the draw stats from last year 1st rifle I'm seeing a 33% success rate for non res drawing a cow tag but 90% success for bull. The one guy wanting the cow tag might just have to switch to bull, it will boost our chances greatly. I'm sure I'm reading the draw stats correctly, seems pretty straight forward.