CO leftover tags?

Did the same to me... crashed right after I submitted payment info. Went back later and it said their werent any left. Looked again when I went back on to get my elk tag and It does show the deer tag as "already on file" under leftover licenses but they havent ran my card yet. Does yours say anything about the tag you tried to get when you went back into the leftover license section?

Yup mine says it is on file and I called to verify, they said I did have the tag and gave me my transaction ID.

As was said. They aren't that smart. They just offer the tags, and how it turns out is how it turns out. You'll find the average number of NR tags sold stay pretty close from year to year.
Very true that the overall number of NR tags is pretty constant year to year, and that the leftover tag res/non-res ratio (30k tags left over for elk this year) won't shift the overall res/non-res elk license ratio very much as roughly 300,000 elk tags are sold overall. However, shifting that ratio within the leftover tag pool can still have a significant impact on revenue. If 1k more leftover elk tags went to nonres this year as a result of first-day online sales, that is an extra $.5 million in CPW coffers. Again, 1k more tags to non-res is drop in the bucket to overall nonres license numbers, but I'm sure CPW will notice the extra $.5 mil that could be attributed to moving online sales to the same day as in-person/phone. Not trying to argue anything, i just find the whole system intriguing to analyze.

I'll admit i'm not that knowledgeable about leftover tags. I try to avoid them at all costs, and get what I apply for in the draw. I've never seen a leftover tag that I wanted. If I fail at the draw i'll just take an OTC bull tag, and make the best of it.

Back