CO Proof of Evidence help

Ranger185

FNG
Hey all,

Looking for some help as I haven't taken an animal in CO yet. I'm planning on using the gutless method to field dress my animal, but looking at the Big Game brochure has me confused.

The guide says this:
2. EVIDENCE OF SEX IS:
A. BUCK/BULL: Head with antlers or horns attached to carcass; or testicle,
scrotum or penis attached to carcass.
B. DOE/COW: Head, udder (mammary) or vulva attached to carcass.

My assumption is that this means that since I don't plan on keeping any of the genitals attached, I'll have to keep the head and/or antlers attached to a front quarter. Am I correct in this? I think I'm more confused because I don't know CPW's definition of a carcass.

Thanks all. I'll probably call CPW anyhow for a discussion. Thought it would be good to ask here as well.

Ranger

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
I think CPW has a video on keeping the proof of sex attached naturally to a hind quarter. Its not hard to do just be careful.

UtahJimmy

WKR
My assumption is that this means that since I don't plan on keeping any of the genitals attached, I'll have to keep the head and/or antlers attached to a front quarter. Am I correct in this? I think I'm more confused because I don't know CPW's definition of a carcass.

Ranger

Good luck trying to figure out how to leave a head attached to a shoulder using gutless! That would be really hard!

Just leave a nut or part of the teet attached to one of the hinds. It's super easy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My interpretation of "head attached to carcass" is the whole carcass, not the front half (shoulder). It would be really difficult to move the "whole carcass" of an Elk from point A to point B without a lot of help. As others have said, just leave the testicle attached. We usually don't skin the testicle, and when we get to the processor, cut it off.

OP
Ranger185

Ranger185

FNG
Awesome. Just the insight I was looking for. Just got off the phone with CPW and they made it clear as mud. I'll carve carefully and leave it something attached.

cnelk

WKR
Years ago, a guy I was hunting with had split up for the morning hunt. Later that morning he fully gutted his bull elk before I arrived.
Nuts were tossed aside, just like he does back in the midwest hunting whitetails.

Well.... that posed a EoS issue.
We ended up leaving the head and neck naturally attached to a front shoulder.
Good thing because we were later checked. The warden said we did the only legal thing for EoS

Its not something you want to do, believe me. Hard to manage and it has to stay that way until processed.

Poser

WKR
Just skin the ball sack with a string of flesh attached to a piece of meat. While I think it’s a worthless reg, you don’t need a PhD in anatomy to figure out a solution.

OP
Ranger185

Ranger185

FNG
Great info all around. Thanks all for the quick responses and the heap of info. Now I hope I get to put it all to use. :)

I've found it useful to tag the quarter with evidence of sex. The tag is a carcass tag, not a head or antler tag, and I have been with folks that were read the riot act about that distinction. If you have evidence of sex, and a punched and signed tag attached to a hind quarter, most wardens are happy that you have made their job easier.

I've found it useful to tag the quarter with evidence of sex. The tag is a carcass tag, not a head or antler tag, and I have been with folks that were read the riot act about that distinction. If you have evidence of sex, and a punched and signed tag attached to a hind quarter, most wardens are happy that you have made their job easier.

^^^^^^^YES !!!! Don't attach the carcass tag to the antlers !! AND make sure you have an ink pen with you to sign the tag AFTER the kill, when you punch the month and date of kill. The license must be signed before you start your hunt.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sign here immediately after receiving your license. You will get the riot act if checked and it’s not signed.
77fcfcbdc01d2aeb552fee057927588c.jpg

Only sign this after you make a kill.
90f5d1a153a1f62060d49421b37beeb2.jpg

Once the head is removed it’s no longer a carcass. It’s just a head.

Yes you still need eos if you’re tag is for either sex.

$31.00 ?? WOW It cost me that much for them to send it to me next day air. I paid total of $703 for non-res Bull OTC. Colorado Resident Licenses are priced really sweet !

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
$31.00 ?? WOW It cost me that much for them to send it to me next day air. I paid total of $703 for non-res Bull OTC. Colorado Resident Licenses are priced really sweet !

That only slightly helps to offset the housing prices

Last edited:

Jimbo V

WKR
Whole carcass the head with antlers would be sufficient if you’re quartering you will need to keep nut or mammary. In Colorado it’s a 2 point violation and the monetary amount is around 50 bucks. My advice, do your best if you screw up just self report. Most likely you will not pay anything courtesy of your honesty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk