CO Unit 18--Help a guy out!

Hello everyone!

My OnX of this unit looks like a pin cushion. I hunted it in 2018 and was successful. Refer to my long hunt recap thread from that hunt for proof.

My buddy and I are looking to go back this year if we don't draw NM. Just looking for anyone local with UTD info on how things are looking post burn.

We aren't able to travel and scout prior, just wondering if it is worthwhile to make the trek out to this unit this coming season. Honest, non-snarky replies please. We both have young families and getting out there prior to 1st Rifle has a slim to none chance.

PMs more than appreciated!

-Dr. Mooseknuckles

Refer to my long hunt recap thread from that hunt for proof.
Here's the link to his hunt for anyone interested.

sndmn11

WKR
Hello everyone!

My OnX of this unit looks like a pin cushion. I hunted it in 2018 and was successful. Refer to my long hunt recap thread from that hunt for proof.

My buddy and I are looking to go back this year if we don't draw NM. Just looking for anyone local with UTD info on how things are looking post burn.

We aren't able to travel and scout prior, just wondering if it is worthwhile to make the trek out to this unit this coming season. Honest, non-snarky replies please. We both have young families and getting out there prior to 1st Rifle has a slim to none chance.

PMs more than appreciated!

-Dr. Mooseknuckles
I'd go right back to The Honey Hole and take the locals something local you as a gift.

Yooper

WKR
I talked to the biologist in that unit last fall and he was extremely helpful. I'd suggest doing the same and not waiting until August to do so. For us, it was an access issue as a lot of the roads we needed for access into certain areas were all still closed.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Tag, Im looking to head there for my first hunt this season so any insight is appreciated.

Moose, what season did you hunt in the thread mentioned? looks like a good amount of snow still on the ground

squirrel

WKR
Best selling local camo pattern is the "Kingsford". If you are frugal just get some black sweats from Walmart? That fire burned HOT. The hunting fool cracked me up going on about all the lush post fire growth in the area combined with easy glassing opportunities. By my count there are going to be about 100+ deer and just maybe 200 elk spread out over it's entirety. Official counts may be a touch more optimistic, you may want to consider their motivating factors.

cnelk

WKR
I drive thru that crispy burned portion of 18 a lot.
No way am I hunting there.

But as usual, recent burns and wilderness areas attract NonRes hunters like bees to honey.

Gotta luv Go Hunt. I bet they haven’t even been in 18.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Now you guys got me second guessing this unit. Might have to go with the million other people and head over to meeker area.

Huntin_GI

WKR
I pass through that area often. Before, it was a beetle kill hell hole. Now its a mix of beetle kill, match stick dead fall, and moon surface scorch. Think each step is 2 inches of burned soot.

squirrel

WKR
I went on a several day trip with some llamas last summer just to see first hand what a 6000 acre/hour fire leaves behind. The good news is you can hike about anywhere you want... The bad side is there was no food, no water, and no animals or tracks. Now if you want some world class black boogers there are some booners to be had for the "picking".

I never filter water, as in maybe 3-4 times in my life, and I asked for my buddy to filter me some on that trip, it was horrible, and that was after he filtered it. Gonna be some unreal runoff tihs year with our amazing snow total hitting that vegetation free hill. Gonna look like the mining scene from "Pale Rider".

And I agree last years hunters were crazy to get into that "lush green growth"... I just smiled and cashed the check for the llama rental and told them to take some grain along, "just in case". My poor llamas, :(

OP
D
CN Elk, I watched you video from a similar thread. Doesn't look that bad LOL!

Hard to discern if y'all are purposefully pushing us NRs away or not... hmmmm

Anyway, not worth chancing with a 28 hour drive and limited time. May look at "burning" (see what I did there) my 4 points and going somewhere else.

squirrel

WKR
Hunting fool and cpw cant be wrong, come on out, take llamas.

you should take a bit of grain... just in case.
There will be 8000 deer hunters there next year (by tags printed) Probably 10-20,000elk hunters with OTC who
really knows? Bring a truck full, you'll still be within the margin of error.

really knows.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
FYI - People dont think that forums dont have an effect on units?

I have 18 views on that little video since I posted it - 3 HOURS AGO!

Good luck on your decisions

OP
D
FYI - People dont think that forums dont have an effect on units?

I have 18 views on that little video since I posted it - 3 HOURS AGO!

Good luck on your decisions
Oh I know that they do and generally I take all advice with a grain of salt! But if I'd listen to all of the naysayers in my life I wouldn't have played D1 Football, I wouldn't have lost 100 lbs of weight, I wouldn't have gotten my GPA up, and I wouldn't have gotten into Veterinary School (much less a top 10 one at that).

I also killed my first elk on my first ever hunt in this unit when success rates are historically low. I'm motivated!

Thanks for the help! I'll report back with another long winded post hunt recap in the Fall, hopefully from The Gila. A fella can dream right?

Almost the entire unit is still burned to a crisp. Just a small slice around sheep mtn and haystack remains in the north. Found a few raspberry bushes in rock piles, everything else is gone. Not a blade of grass, flower or tree is alive. It's a wasteland. Think of the planet Mars but black. You're never gonna sneak up on anything in there, they can see you for miles. Glassed up 1 cow from sheep mtn. But no way to get close enough for a shot. Access only allowed from 125 in very north end of unit. FSR 106. All other dirt road are closed from hwy 125. Mudslides keep closing hwy 125. On Willow creek rd (106) we couldn't even find a place to park during 1st day of Muzzleloader season. Had a 18/181 only tag. But talked to 30 or 40 people who had otc archery tags and picked this unit because it was closest... few hundred of us in the square mile that's left unburnt. Couldn't figure out why they wouldn't go to another unit, I was stuck there. You've been warned, buy a tag if you don't believe me.