Cold Bow 2024.... QnA Thread

NEPkaspot

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the last post. In my opinion the spirit of the challenge is to push your limits. I shoot year-round and pick a yardage that is challenging to see how I’ve improved from the previous year.

Personally I moved back to 60yds, last year I tried 70yds and just got worked. By the end of summer I’m usually shooting much better up to 80+yds, but spring time I’m just too rusty.

Plus this year I’ve completely changed my arrows, strings, plus swapped limbs to 80 pounders. Too many variables to feel confident past 60yds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
View attachment 710658'

Oh yeaaahhhhh.... that felt nice. Trad bow skill seems to have jumped a bit from prior years. I could go down a long rabbit hole talking about what changed, but I'm just gonna brag a bit today so I feel extra pressure to nail number 3 tomorrow!

It’s always so rewarding to make a good shot with a trad bow. I was able to hit the mark at 30 this morning too and it was such a relief. I shoot my recurve almost daily, the day before the challenge started I wanted to assure myself I could use 30 as my MER, Friday I put 10/10 on paper at 30. Yesterday my first shot I missed about 7” high which still isn’t horrible but it was frustrating. Hope tomorrow goes just as well, I actually can’t wait for the Challenge to be over so I can shot the recurve more. This is the first nice weather we’ve had all year and it’s killing me not to be able to go out and shoot.

E24B7182-7930-4B79-9BCE-27981CB752CB.jpeg

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
Figure this comment will ruffle feathers.
After looking through the first days shots, I wonder how some guys pick their MER?
Picked mine because I practice at 60 because it’s 60 across a meadow that I elk hunt in.
Honestly, some guys might want to rethink their range. To me, MER is where I can put every arrow every time in the kill zone. I know there’s that occasional gremlin that will pop up, but I know I can put a arrow in the animal at 60.

This challenge will probably teach some people that they may be over estimating their MER. Broadheads make a big difference in flight and consistency. Remember this is also spring and in some areas people are just now able to get outside comfortably and start shooting. I know personally I’ve put thousands more arrows down range by Sept vs May.
Hopefully this teaches some people something, that is kind of the intent of doing it.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the last post. In my opinion the spirit of the challenge is to push your limits. I shoot year-round and pick a yardage that is challenging to see how I’ve improved from the previous year.

I think this is a good mantra.

I picked mine because a) that’s the distance from my stand-tree to a known good deer path where they go, and b) since I changed strings my sight is way off. I haven’t had time to re-sight it and it desperately needs a re-tune (the shop is 55 min from me). So I’m not even honestly that confident at this short distance (38y, down from 61yds 2 years ago), but I’m pushing myself this year (relatively).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well dang... I went 6/6! Now I'm gonna be left wondering what would happen on days 4-5 lol!

I have definitely made a jump in my longbow skills this spring (pushed MER from 20 to 30 yards). I was pretty sure that was the case, but this challenge was another confirmation. I'm shooting through jitters with much better results than ever before.

lak2004

WKR
Went to make my 2nd shot yesterday, pulled up to a spot I could shoot and realized I had left my bow sitting next to the truck. That was a nerve racking 10 minute drive back home!
Luckily got back and it was just laying there intact. Will make shot 2 after work today. Hopefully I can hit my target.

Thanks for putting this contest on moderators and thanks for the companies for doing the prizes!
As always, some good takeaways and I will be completing this again as we near season to find my limits.

Randle

WKR
I think I shot to early this AM.
I dont think I focused thru the shot sequence

TX_Diver

WKR
Well I can't do worse than 66%. First year it's taken me more days than number of shots, turkey hunt yesterday evening delayed my shooting to today. One more day to go.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
All,
thank you for hosting the CBC this year. Also, huge thanks to the sponsors. I have been out of archery for two years due to elbow injury & injured eye. But I can finally shoot and this was a great excuse to get back into it. I'm looking forward to 2025 where I will try and extend my MER by at least 5yds. Best wishes to everyone involved.
Jared

nphunter

WKR
Had to run home from the office to finish it up but I’m pretty happy with this years CBC. I’m loving the new compound and pretty happy with both results. Went 5/6, I barely missed my very first shot with the recurve. I really like the challenge being cut down to 3 days. It was torture not being able to shoot the bows this weekend.

I’m able to span all the shots with one hand which I’m very happy with.

Recurve, shooting Instinctive 30 yards, one shot went a couple inches high. 8.5” vertical spread and 4” horizontal.
CA7D24BB-50A4-4B53-9AB8-81C93B513D45.jpeg

Compound at 80 yards, I defiantly feel confident at this range. Especially considering this was with a fixed head and I hunt with expandables. 6” horizontal spread and a 2” vertical.
4D8B6032-9877-40B1-8245-3B786908460B.jpeg

Jethro

WKR
I finished yesterday. Thanks moderators for hosting, thanks sponsors for offering prizes. Happy to participate. 3/3 is better than I anticipated. I do wish it was still 5 days though.

Here is my last shot pic. Visitor in background checking things out.

IMG_2814.jpeg