College Bowl games disappointment

Well, at least the CFP games were good.

Only non-CFP game that interested me enough was the wyoming-toledo game because my brother is on the Wyoming staff.

College football is on the precipice of being dead. I used to watch and go to bowl games, but no more. It's a complete waste of time.

LostArra

WKR
Bo Nix, who just led his team to a bowl win, said it best. He owed to this team mates to be there. A real class act.
I believe Nix helped his draft position by playing and not just with stats. Some GM's and coaches will see him as a leader in the locker room. There are plenty of college stars who are self-centered and quickly fizzle out in the pros. Besides, half the players sitting out are delusional about their draft potential.

I am not a fan of Ohio State but it's ridiculous that Ryan Day has to take a loss for losing a bowl game with his B team. He'll probably get kicked to the curb for not beating Michigan but losing to Missouri sure doesn't help.

Well, at least the CFP games were good.

Only non-CFP game that interested me enough was the wyoming-toledo game because my brother is on the Wyoming staff.
Go Pokes! (alma mater) That was a great win to send out their retiring head coach.

RIP UGA 3peat :( really wishing We had the 12 game playoff this year- but I’m looking forward to it next year.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
Bowl games have never really mattered. That was back when there was only a handful of bowls. Now everyone has a bowl game, totally making it worse. They have never had a playoff system. They’ve only had a pick’em tournament. They could have fixed it with the upcoming new system, but chose not to. It’s still a pick’em tournament, but with more teams. Same old crap, different day. They don’t care to fix anything. They’re only interested in picking teams and brackets to make the most money.

The best thing that’s happened to college sports in the recent history is the transfer portal and nil deals. That’s a great start, but they’re trying their best to mess that up as well.

WKR
Lot of Fudd takes in here, talking about "back in the day" and "play for pride". Might as well be leupold and knockdown power.

Every few years we have a bad bowl season with some stinkers. No need to get hyperbolic about NIL and the portal being works in progress.

I also don't get how people can say bowl games have always been meaningless and also say adding bowl games diminishes their value? Just don't watch the Bushnell optics bowl if you don't like it. I'm in favor of anything that gives kids a chance to play/travel/experience things.

And for every player that opts out, a kid gets an opportunity. Look at the LSU QB, playing since Daniels opted out. You don't think that win changed his life?

We have had the best semifinal games so far and we finally have non-SEC teams. NIL just made it okay to pay players, which teams like Bama and Ohio State and USC have done for years. It leveled the playing field.

The portal has given players the chance to move to where they have the best opportunity for success. The timing needs some tweaking but they will figure it out. I think college football is the best it's been in decades and is headed in the right direction - without NCAA corruption and influence, and less regional.

wyogoat

WKR
I'm a Big ten fan, butI think Penix will be to much for them.
That will be a great matchup. If the Michigan defense can get to Penix the way they did Milroe that will help. The Michigan secondary is definitely stronger than Texas’ is also. I like that Texas team but the secondary was the only issue they had going in…
Should be a great game. I bet Michigan will be a little more polished this game. Lots of mistakes against bama.
CFP put up some great games.

AZ8

WKR
It's too watered down. in 1990 there were 19 bowl games.

I remember as a kid, New Years Day was epic with just the traditional bowl games.

atmat

WKR
It's too watered down. in 1990 there were 19 bowl games.

I remember as a kid, New Years Day was epic with just the traditional bowl games.
Agreed. I don’t care to watch two barely-above-.500 teams battle it out with some of their key players opting to sit. It’s awful television.

Laramie

WKR
1704216048274.png

No matter how much fudds complain, it isn't going backwards to the old days guys. Money has always been in control of it all, it is just legal and in plain sight now. The opt outs are new but understandable to me. Like someone else mentioned, I think it is great to see some new kids getting opportunities. Think of the lower level bowl games more like spring games with opponents. It is good for the teams and the sport if people don't place too high of expectations on them. More football isn't a bad thing...

The players need to sign real contracts with money involved. You don't finish out the season, you are financially penalized.
Portal doesn't need to pen up till after the season is complete, not just the regular season.
That goofed up Ohio State and FSU.

The fact that Daniel's won the Heisman then opted out of the the bowl game is a slap in the face of the Heisman Trophy. Penix or Nix should have won it, if for that decision/act alone.

All the portal is doing is further perpetuating lack of integrity for a lot of guys that really need help cultivating character in a world that is constantly exhibiting decay of character.

I played D-1 ball for reference, not just a armchair quarterback.
Being a former Center and a lifelong Bama fan, I hope the team soap-in-a-socked McLaughlin after the game in the locker room. Dude screwed up his shotgun snaps all season long. Also a shame that the O-Line coach didn't pull him out after he killed the opening drive of the 2nd Half.

Poor play call at the end of the game, but his crap snap didn't help.

LostArra

WKR
A lot of the so-called minor bowls are embraced by the coaches since they see it as some early spring practice and they can play young guys in real game situations. It is interesting how the networks don't usually show the crowds (or lack of) except in the Rose and Sugar bowls.

They did show a big turnout for Wyoming fans in the Arizona Bowl, probably escaping the cold.

wyogoat

WKR
A lot of the so-called minor bowls are embraced by the coaches since they see it as some early spring practice and they can play young guys in real game situations. It is interesting how the networks don't usually show the crowds (or lack of) except in the Rose and Sugar bowls.

They did show a big turnout for Wyoming fans in the Arizona Bowl, probably escaping the cold.
Hey! It was in the 50s this weekend here! They finished it out for Bohl though…