Colo elk hunt unit 76

sptsman4

FNG
I'm from Utah and an avid hunter for over 50 years (I'm 71). I had enough points and harvested a nice mulie last year in unit 22. I finally figured out that I won't ever draw a tag for 1, 2, 201, or 10 in my lifetime and it's time to unload my points and go elk hunting this year before i get too old to go. After looking at the odds and harvest stats it narrows down to 76 being the best with the points (24) that I have. I've never hunted this unit before so any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Obviously, this is a once-in-a-lifetime for me so I need to get it right the first time! Thanks

Phaseolus

WKR
You will need to be able to walk and climb substantial distances, not to mention the packout, in 76 if you don’t have horses. You might wish to consider an outfitter or drop camp.

gbflyer

WKR
Rough country. Get yourself a 61 muzzle loader tag. I think that’s enough points????

cnelk

WKR
FYI

Based on 2018 post draw #'s, There are 281 NonRes with 24 elk PPs - 225 with 25 PPs, 151 with 26 PPs, 41 with 27 PPs, 5 with 28 PPs.

You could apply and probably get one of the following [if some of the higher Point holders dont]
61 1st rifle
61 ML

Guaranteed 76 tag - rifle or ML - with PPs to spare

I know where I would try

Good luck

Pwill

Lil-Rokslider
If you went to 61 the Weimer guys are good folks, not a fancy outfitter, but just good ol boys. Used them for a mule deer hunt for my dad that can’t climb the hills like he used to. They shot some nice bulls when we were there, both 330+

DEHusker

WKR
Ya, 24 points is way too many points to be dumping on 76. 61 is where you want to be.

Absolutely agree. 76 is a good hunt only in the fact that it’s tons of public land with a good herd of elk and low number of tags. Not a well-known or “classic” trophy unit. Average sized animals.

61 is where you want.

DEH

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
If you opt to go the 76 route, there is a guy named Ash Tulley (Sp?) that is a great dude. He guides that unit or I believe he will also pack meat if you get one. I met him a couple of years ago and the guy is a bonofide elk killer. He also had me in stitches the whole time I sat around the campfire with him. Look him up if you decided to go that route. Good luck

Beendare

WKR
I hope I would still be able to hunt U76 at 71 years old....but dang, I hunted it about 10 years ago and it took me a week to recover. We walked horses in 8 miles to our first camp at 10,700...made a big loop in the wilderness hunting up over 12,000'....cool country...but not a lot of oxygen in that unit!

elkduds

WKR
I'm from Utah and an avid hunter for over 50 years (I'm 71). it's time to unload my points and go elk hunting this year before i get too old to go. Obviously, this is a once-in-a-lifetime for me so I need to get it right the first time! Thanks

True grit sir, wishing you the best of luck. I hunt 61 every chance I get, even for cows. It tops out around 10K elev, much lower than 76. I concur w those who say hire a guide who knows the country, and go during the rut: ML, archery, early or 1st rifle.

OP
S

sptsman4

FNG
Thanks for the info. My choices are 61 muzzy or 76 early rifle. I'm going to save the bow hunts for here in UT. Being from UT, I hunt scrub oak quite a bit and to be honest I like the alpine high-country better. As for the number and size of the bulls in 61 vs 76 I'm not real sure and still working on that part. I've talked to a couple of outfitters in 76 that have horse pack-in tented camps and it sounds great to me. Both are at 11000 ft which I don't think will be a problem as I hunt from 8 to 10000 ft here in UT. If you've got any recommendations on guides in either 61 or 76 I would be grateful.

OP
S

sptsman4

FNG
You will need to be able to walk and climb substantial distances, not to mention the packout, in 76 if you don’t have horses. You might wish to consider an outfitter or drop camp.
That's what I decided too. I bone out and pack out here in UT on foot so it limits my hunting to 1-2 miles from the road. But most of my hunts are in spike-only areas and there a usually 3 of us and we can do it in 1 trip. Not knowing the country and much bigger bulls in rough terrain will need a guide--especially since I'm going solo.

OP
S

sptsman4

FNG
Rough country. Get yourself a 61 muzzle loader tag. I think that’s enough points????
It should be enough points. I'll just have to ditch the sabots and go with belted bullets and take the scope off! That will reduce my range a bit but probably not enough to matter.

OP
S

sptsman4

FNG
I would look into 40 or 61
I looked at 40 and it's basically all outfitted and the good guides want from 8 to $16000 and don't have any openings until 2021. That's too much $ and too long a wait for me. 61 still sounds like a good option if I can find the right outfitter at a reasonable price. Thanks

OP
S

sptsman4

FNG
If you opt to go the 76 route, there is a guy named Ash Tulley (Sp?) that is a great dude. He guides that unit or I believe he will also pack meat if you get one. I met him a couple of years ago and the guy is a bonofide elk killer. He also had me in stitches the whole time I sat around the campfire with him. Look him up if you decided to go that route. Good luck
I spoke to Ash today and he sounds like a real honest and upfront guy. I also heard in this forum from a fellow that's hunted with him for 8 years and highly recommends him. Thanks

OP
S

sptsman4

FNG
FYI

Based on 2018 post draw #'s, There are 281 NonRes with 24 elk PPs - 225 with 25 PPs, 151 with 26 PPs, 41 with 27 PPs, 5 with 28 PPs.

You could apply and probably get one of the following [if some of the higher Point holders dont]
61 1st rifle
61 ML

Guaranteed 76 tag - rifle or ML - with PPs to spare

I know where I would try

Good luck
I should have enough for 76 early rifle. I've spoken to a couple of outfitters in that unit and they both sound great. Only problem is most of the bulls they take are 300-320 with only the occasional large bull in the 340 range. 61 may have bigger bulls but I really like the country better in 76. Tough decision. Thanks

OP
S

sptsman4

FNG
I hope I would still be able to hunt U76 at 71 years old....but dang, I hunted it about 10 years ago and it took me a week to recover. We walked horses in 8 miles to our first camp at 10,700...made a big loop in the wilderness hunting up over 12,000'....cool country...but not a lot of oxygen in that unit!
Yup! Tough hunting at that altitude but absolutely gorgeous scenery. An it probably will take me a week to recover. I hunted 9 days in unit 22 for deer last year 3rd season and finally shot an old, heavy, chocolate-horned 26" 3x4 because it got too cold and I was worn out!

cnelk

WKR
I had a grand time in 61 on my DIY archery hunt.

R32e0px.jpg