Colorado 2nd rifle the good, bad and the ugly gear review

Poser

WKR
Lol you are right and don't think we did not discuss that. The money my brother spent on 2 different packs he could have bought 1 good reliable one and saved the cost and pain of less reliable gear. its like the radios they both have the rino 110 my brother has had his since 2010 and his friend got his from another guy we know this year that was also bought new in 2010 and he got it for $30 but neither of them took the time to learn to use them beyond turning them on and using the radio. I started with a 110 in 2003 and it did what I needed it to do but I learned it before I ever took it hunting. In the field is not the time to figure out how to use a GPS and marking waypoints.

So, do you think these guys can be converted into backcountry hunters? Will they show up next year with light packs and proper gear? Or, have they had enough? It's definitely not for everyone, though a ton of money is spent annually to find this fact out.

OP
TX1

TX1

FNG
My brother yes I have a year to remind him of what failed he saw how my pack and frame performed and will be ordering his after Christmas. We have agreed future hunts are just the two of us. His tent is going back and he will be getting one actually rated for that environment. Me yes I loved it

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had the warning signs as there was a hotsprings where we originally camped that they got fixated on before we ever got there

Oh man.........hot springs! My buddies and I used to talk about hauling one of those big rentable hot tubs on a trailer and a generator up with us when we'd hunt the later rifle seasons. Hot springs would be great. I'd be willing to hike further every morning to have the hot springs right next to camp.:D

Hot tubs, hot springs, and a good neck and back massage are some things I rarely ever pass up on, no matter where I am or what I'm doing.

OP
TX1

TX1

FNG
Oh man.........hot springs! My buddies and I used to talk about hauling one of those big rentable hot tubs on a trailer and a generator up with us when we'd hunt the later rifle seasons. Hot springs would be great. I'd be willing to hike further every morning to have the hot springs right next to camp.:D

Hot tubs, hot springs, and a good neck and back massage are some things I rarely ever pass up on, no matter where I am or what I'm doing.

Lol yes it was nice but to be able to get up the slopes to a huntable location was a 3 mile trip back down the valley then a mile climb to get to an elevation or bench. Remember that 3 miles I mentioned earlier took us 5 hours and then coming back down and hiking 3 miles back up (elevation) to the camp. The hotsprings was not looking so hot after you did the math, this was our first time in this area so there was a learning curve no matter how much you look at google maps it just does not do it justice.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Lets keep things in perspective a little bit. It just seems harsh to me when I hear criticisms because someone is not as good or competent as others at this sport and we are awfully quick to cast them aside. At least Tex got his buds to go do something that he really wanted to do. Obviously, mistakes are made and who hasn't made them in the beginning. The important thing to remember is they went and hopefully have a desire to go again. Elk hunting is a sport and not a necessity to provide for one's family. That is what is really important, I mean we can get meat at the grocery store and they're a lot of folks who would like to see us hunters go the way like the dinosaurs. I am not against people hunting by themselves, but it really doesn't grow the sport that we love. It is really hard to do what we do from a lot of angles: time off from work; time away from family; money spent and lost; health; etc. so keep it in perspective of what is happening when those guys hunting and make some or a lot of blunders. Sure some of the hunters we bring out are not as disciplined, educated, experienced, smart, etc., but they will all take something from doing what hunters have been doing for eons. This will help grow the sport or hopefully maintain it. Encourage someone new to go with you, if not elk hunting maybe deer, bird, rabbit, etc. but become ambassadors of the sport. Sorry just had to get it off my chest.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
That's almost like a National Lampoons hunting trip there friend, sorry. Glad you all made it out and you were able to help them survive and I'm sure, things will be different in so many ways next year! I started gathering elk hunting gear last year, my first year, and bought Rocky boots and an Alps Outdoor Z backpack against my friends advice. Tried them both one day for training and sent them back (he laughed) as the Alps pack was horrible with cotter pin things poking me in the back. I settled on Crispi Colorados for boots and a used Stone glacier 40/56 pack which have both worked very good for me. I spent last summer on Ebay/marketplace (RS going forward) buying a lot of used quality gear based on my hunting partners experience and all my gear was excellent. All my Sitka gear is used, bought way below new pricing. I valued my experienced hunting partners' knowledge and it made my life hunting so enjoyable which in turn, made his experience enjoyable too. I hope your brother and friend learn to value you for time spent learning first and for literally saving their butts. Weather is just too unforgiving in so many ways that can snowball into a serious crisis quickly.