Colorado archery elk, first hunt

OP
Crjones8

Crjones8

FNG
What can be different is that massive piece of land on a map may hunt similar to a hundred acre farm around home. It will make more sense once you have been. Hope you have a good hunt, it is absolutely addictive.
Now that for sure makes sense and I did not consider that for the thoughts of making this post.

Jbehredt

WKR
Is there some sort of deal where you post a certain amount and you’re no longer a douche? I am on here trying to learn (I believe that’s what this forum is about?) and someone posted a douche of a reply, so yeah I called him out. If you’re willing to go out of your way to type a response trying to be a douche to someone done be sensitive if you get called out. The only people that response will weed out is…. Other douche bags with no willingness to help anyone as example by the replies.

You seem well versed in what this forum is all about. Exxxcept the part of the clearly stated rules that says no name calling. If a mod wanders in here you’ll be gone. Was more of a heads up than anything. Good luck this fall!

Laramie

WKR
I am headed out mid September with a friend on our first elk hunt. We will be archery hunting for 12 days in a unit SW of Vail mostly around the Holy Cross Wilderness. We both have done hours of research, talked to unit game wardens, E-scouted, but again this is our first elk hunt. Our goal is to have fun and see a few elk. What I am posting for is to see if anyone with experience in that area would be willing to DM me, maybe listen to our plan and the information we THINK we know and see if we are on the right track. I do have some questions like elevation maybe to concentrate on during those dates, experience with general weather that time of year (yes, I know it's unpredictable) and animal behavior with that weather in the event we get similar weather. I am also going to be holding a black bear tag hopefully for that unit(s). So I do have some questions about bear population in the area, whether its worth planning a day or 2 of bear hunting or just pocketing the tag in case we luck up and happen to get a shot and strictly focus on elk.

I'd like to be very clear, I am not looking for someone to tell me a spot to go. I am trying to find people who have knowledge of that general area or areas near by that may can relate their experience to my inexperience and just make sure we have the right things in mind for what we are looking for. We're two guys that have never hunted much outside of whitetails and are just looking to have a good experience and be as prepared and knowledgeable as we can.

I also know nothing is better than actually getting your own boots on the ground pre-season, that's just not going to happen for us, jobs will just not allow that time off.

I appreciate any advice in advance for a couple of newbie elk hunters.

Thanks,
Chris
There is no script or elevation or fool proof plan. Have gear you are comfortable in. Be prepared for 70F to a blizzard. Be adaptable and persistent and use your head more than your feet. Take time to enjoy the hunt. Elk hunting is hard and many first time hunters get frustrated quickly. My only specific advice is to bring a pack rod to enjoy fresh brook trout a night or two.

OP
Crjones8

Crjones8

FNG
There is no script or elevation or fool proof plan. Have gear you are comfortable in. Be prepared for 70F to a blizzard. Be adaptable and persistent and use your head more than your feet. Take time to enjoy the hunt. Elk hunting is hard and many first time hunters get frustrated quickly. My only specific advice is to bring a pack rod to enjoy fresh brook trout a night or two.
Thanks for the input! Definitely trying to be adaptable for anything and not overly committed to one thing or spot.

Scoot

WKR
Persistence kills more elk than anything for a hunt like you are describing (and really for most bowhunts). Don't give up. Start early- in the dark. Don't quit early (on any day or for the entire trip). Have a plan, be adaptable, try to learn as many tools for your tool belt as you can (calling, glassing, sitting, ambush, spot n stalk, etc), and go have an absolute blast. Don't go in expecting/accepting failure, but if you don't punch your tag make sure you enjoyed the hell outta your time in the elk woods.

I hunted another CO unit a few years ago and like they say, they go into areas people don’t. That includes higher elevation than you may be comfortable in. They’re like mountain goats. If you don’t see them low, then they’re probably way up there

Is there some sort of deal where you post a certain amount and you’re no longer a douche? I am on here trying to learn (I believe that’s what this forum is about?) and someone posted a douche of a reply, so yeah I called him out. If you’re willing to go out of your way to type a response trying to be a douche to someone done be sensitive if you get called out. The only people that response will weed out is…. Other douche bags with no willingness to help anyone as example by the replies.
People like you come aboard, take what you want then leave without contributing... Rokslide doesn't roll like that

OP
Crjones8

Crjones8

FNG
People like you come aboard, take what you want then leave without contributing... Rokslide doesn't roll like that
False. This is a western hunting forum. Considering I currently have no contributing experience I will not BS threads. However, when I do I’ll be glad to contribute. That’s one of the better parts of hunting IS helping others out through their learning. Just took a co-worker on his first hunt ever the other day for turkey. But you know this already bc you clearly know me right?

My personality is as simple as this- I am respectful until you aren’t. I don’t talk shit until you do. If that’s not ok, well it ain’t me that’s the sensitive one and I’m not sorry for that. I don’t give you automatic respect bc of an internet participation badge. You get what you give. Me, I posted an initially respectful post. I wasn’t the one that got offended by me identifying my location down to 123k acres…

False. This is a western hunting forum. Considering I currently have no contributing experience I will not BS threads. However, when I do I’ll be glad to contribute. That’s one of the better parts of hunting IS helping others out through their learning. Just took a co-worker on his first hunt ever the other day for turkey. But you know this already bc you clearly know me right?

My personality is as simple as this- I am respectful until you aren’t. I don’t talk shit until you do. If that’s not ok, well it ain’t me that’s the sensitive one and I’m not sorry for that. I don’t give you automatic respect bc of an internet participation badge. You get what you give. Me, I posted an initially respectful post. I wasn’t the one that got offended by me identifying my location down to 123k acres…

There are a lot of forum topics on here that don't involve western hunting. Rokslide is a community, you come in here and call names as a new member, then continually push back towards other members chiming in giving you wise advice while using "Rokslide". At this point I think most would just rather you head back to another forum and do your learning there.

I'll give you good advice as a parting gift. Do your best research, don't get too hung up on what you read and just take the plunge. Be mobile, have plans A-F, keep optimistic and hunt hard until the second your trip is over. Your trip will teach you more than anyone could ever tell you and all of CO has elk so nearly any spot can have them.

Last edited:
OP
Crjones8

Crjones8

FNG
There are a lot of forum topics on here that don't involve western hunting. Rokslide is a community, you come in here and call names as a new member, then continually push back towards other members chiming in giving you wise advice while using "Rokslide". At this point I think most would just rather you head back to another forum and do your learning there.

I'll give you good advice as a parting gift. Do your best research, don't get too hung up on what you read and just take the plunge. Be mobile, have plans A-F, keep optimistic and hunt hard until the second your trip is over. Your trip will teach you more than anyone could ever tell you and all of CO has elk so nearly any spot can have them at any given time.
I didn’t “come in here an call names”. That would imply I instigated something which is false. You’re blindly defending folks dude to an internet participation badge they wear instead of looking at anything objectively, which is clearly a trend with responders. I simply told someone else not to act a fool on my post. Why is this forum so sensitive for someone new to come in a call someone on their bs? None of that is the “community” you’re trying to portray to me.

I have said thank you or liked any piece of legit advice given to me. Including yourself, thank you.

OP
Crjones8

Crjones8

FNG
I used the little search feature in the upper right corner and typed in ‘First Time Elk Hunter’

So much reading and info for you right here.

The state doesn’t matter - sift thru it

Good luck

Do y’all read posts at all? I’m just curious bc my initial posted stated that I had been doing research and talking to other folks that I was just looking for someone to bounce ideas off of with experience and possibly in the general area I had planned? It’s just a lazy response. Keep ‘em coming though I guess lol. Defend your other brethren with many post that you don’t actually know from someone actually trying to learn. Get him!! The entertainment I didn’t expect from this post lol

cnelk

WKR
Do y’all read posts at all? I’m just curious bc my initial posted stated that I had been doing research and talking to other folks that I was just looking for someone to bounce ideas off of with experience and possibly in the general area I had planned? It’s just a lazy response. Keep ‘em coming though I guess lol. Defend your other brethren with many post that you don’t actually know from someone actually trying to learn. Get him!! The entertainment I didn’t expect from this post lol

You haven’t researched shit or you wouldn’t be asking for a handout.

Buck up buttercup and make a trip to your hunting area this summer and go scout it - learn it.

That’s what we all did. It’s your turn.

OP
Crjones8

Crjones8

FNG
You haven’t researched shit or you wouldn’t be asking for a handout.

Buck up buttercup and make a trip to your hunting area this summer and go scout it - learn it.

That’s we all did. It’s your turn.
Again you have failed to read. I’m questioning if you can at this point. I explicitly said I wasn’t asking for a handout. That I wanted to tell someone what I had planned and see if it made sense to them.

Also explicitly said I cannot take off to go scout this summer. Is it ideal? No. Unfortunately not everyone can.

Stop being full of shit and telling me every person on her summer scouts every trip. That’s exactly the purpose of things like this forum is bc 99% of the out of state people in fact can’t.

Now we wait and see what retarted shit you’ll make up next after again, not reading my post. Keep it coming though, you’re boosting your street cred with you post numbers!

It’s a great area. As a matter of fact anywhere outside of Wyoming or Montana is where I recommend all elk hunters cut their teeth. In your early years you’ll naturally be in exploration mode covering lots of ground trying to learn what type of areas elk prefer. Why do that somewhere where you’re going to spook a bunch of elk. Yes welcome to Rokslide.